RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nacesh nods thoughtfully at Forge's ever-so-lawful approach (OOC - it makes much sense to me for a warforged to be lawful, even if this particular one is neutral by stats)
"I would turn the question around. Do you think this expedition is something that's better avoids the Magistrate's ears, for whatever ... reason?"
The spearman was pondering for a moment whether the word 'treason' would be more suitable to end the sentence... and he is almost certain that the Magistrate was spying on them continuously If so, and Simon turns out to be a 'traitor' or 'rebel' or whatever then it's pretty much defendable position that Nacesh was playing as a secret agent loyal to the government and helped collecting evidence against the opposition. A win-win situation.
Forge waits to see if Simon can answer Nacesh and Betimi's questions all the while his thoughts were trying to understand what the group wanted.  So far his purpose had been simple, to protect the ones that rescued him, but now there was a new problem and Forge was having trouble understanding it.  There seemed to be at least two factions fighting each other on this world, Rebels, and New Crobuzon.  The Rebels had offered aid to Kee but the Magistrate had done the same for them as well...  Some of the members have different thoughts about this world, its punishments, and way of life.  Why should they chose one side over the other?  Why did it matter?  He looked to the others hoping someone had the answers for him...

Ooc - I wanted to start Forge off with a blank slate and see how his environment changes his alignment.  Besides, it's the only airship I know of Smile
Selina shakes her head.  “I should not think the Magistrate will care if we use his resources to leave.  Everyone is so keen on it to begin with” (Selina herself, included at the top of that list).  “Whatever we can do to expedite our exit from this place would like likely be something he would approve of, yes?”
"I would be inclined to think the opposite. An airship seems like an awful big investment to risk when he does not wish to show us any favouritism."
"I understand your meaning, but is it truly showing us favoritism?"  She then launches into her best Magistrate impersonation.  "'You have worn out your welcome here.  I suggest you leave at the soonest possible moment.  In fact, I shall assist you in that regard.  The better to remove your dirty outsider touch from our pristine city.'  Something to that effect?"  It's surprisingly realistic.
(01-02-2018, 05:08 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]While you refresh yourselves or just relax he continues,  "There is another matter I need to discuss with you all.  The breaches between worlds is intensely worrisome.  There are even some in parliament who feel any knowledge of this development should be secured and eliminated.  That is precisely the reason why I took you to see the ambassador.  Due to his nature, he is more nuanced on the subject of the planes and other worlds.  He would be less inclined to jump conclusions and make rash decisions based on ignorance regarding the fate of your party.  But even though you have your pardons those in powerful positions still want this knowledge suppressed so there won't be a panic among the masses.  Mayor Rudgutter, of the Fat Sun party, who has been the mayor of New Crobuzon for what seems like forever, is someone who frankly has little personality or motivation beyond his desire to maintain the status quo.  You can imagine that the chaos brought by the breaking down of worldly barriers would disrupt this status quo rather severely which causes him serious distress.  The Mayor is a powerful enemy to have and while I do still have some political favors I can call in to keep you all somewhat safe, if you don't get out of New Crobuzon soon one of these power players might decide they must act against you.  Your group may have a few weeks or possibly even less before the favors owed to me will not be enough to protect you.  So I ask that you finish whatever business you have here, learn of a way to get yourselves back home and then leave New Crobuzon as quickly as possible.   I will try to offer whatever other assistance that I can."

"I know very little about the planes," Tomeal says, "But if the Magistrate is true to his word -- and so far we have no proof that he hasn't been -- he has already said he would offer whatever assistance that he can.  An Airship may or may not be a big investment.  We aren't asking him to risk much like asking to borrow the Airship for a battle.  We are asking for transportation.  And it seems this Torque energy can be flown over so the risk shouldn't be much different than any other trip the Airship would make out of New Crobuzon.  Then again, beyond the city's limits the skies might be filled with deamons so maybe it IS dangerous but it doesn't seem wise to dismiss possible help because we are guessing what the Magistrates thoughts might be."
"And tell me, Tomeal, how much simpler would it be for the Magistrate to simply eliminate all of us, than risking any word spreading out to the public about some dubious airship mission? His topmost priority, I believe, is to keep us out of the local storytellers' repertoire."
Pausing for a moment, Nacesh shakes his head,
"I don't think we should involve the Magistrate; I simply would like to know whether we should avoid bringing this topic to him in the first place. This is my vote and I will follow the majority vote since our best bet is probably sticking together."
Selina decides to handle that objection.  "What would have prevented him from doing so the entire time we were in his custody?  We had no weapons and were thoroughly within his control."
Nacesh nods. "Exactly the same reason. To keep us out of the news. That's my only guess. On the other hand, there's a third option he has. Simply saying no to the airship and keeping us alive at the same time. I won't pretend I have any hope of learning his true motives."
Tomeal replies, "If the Magestrate wanted to kill us, I have little doubt he could have done so while we were talking to that thing.  I don't think we could have been further from prying eyes when we were in that room.  It's probably warded with all kinds of magics to avoid intusion by whomever might be curious in knowing what foul deals are discussed in that place."  

"Not only did he want to keep information about us quiet but he also wanted us to get home or at least get out of his hair.  Sending us into this Torque zone seems as good of a way as any to accomplish his objective.  We either find what we need to go home or get turned into a blob.  It's win win for him."