RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Betimi tells Ning/Nang to leave the gems in the walls alone, no telling what would happen if they tamper with ley lines.

She asks for Nang to use the ant-Torque wand on her. Then she will test the command word  COGNOSCO! with the divination wand, stepping about 20 feet away from the party and aiming at the pond.

Use Magic Device [1d20+6] = 14+6 = 20

Nothing happens...

"There could be several reasons for it to fail," Simon says, "Either you failed your attempt or you targeted the wrong object. For example, magic missile needs to target a creature. A cure wand also needs to target a creature but it's a touch spell. Just to be completely transparent, I also know how to activate magic items on the fly." [Simon has UMD 10] "It's kind of like a double-edged sword because the Torque can only blow you up if you succeed in using the wand but the UMD can blow you up if you fail."
Can UMD be used to trigger a wand when we don't know the command word? To figure out the command word?
(08-16-2020, 05:50 AM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]Can UMD be used to trigger a wand when we don't know the command word?  To figure out the command word?

[I don't think UMD uses a Password, does it?  You just try to activate it using a Skill rather than a command word.]
In that case Ningalu will get his brother to use the anti-Torque wand on first Betimi, then himself and he will test the enchantment wand, then the illusion wand. (Beguilers have almost all Enchantment + Illusion spells in their list.

UMD [1d20+6] = 4+6 = 10 fail.. what happens
(08-16-2020, 06:14 AM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]In that case Ningalu will get his brother to use the anti-Torque wand on first Betimi, then himself and he will test the enchantment wand, then the illusion wand. (Beguilers have almost all Enchantment + Illusion spells in their list.

UMD [1d20+6] = 4+6 = 10 fail.. what happens

Nang, the hand, is gone.
I was flying, at least while looking at the gems, as stated in my prior post. How did he not sense the hand disappearing, since the flight relies on it.
(08-16-2020, 06:37 AM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]I was flying, at least while looking at the gems, as stated in my prior post. How did he not sense the hand disappearing, since the flight relies on it.

I didn't say you fell.  I said, Nang is gone...
The first thing Ning does is mentally reach out, "Nangalu, you there?"

If there is no respnse he calls out loud in  Draconic "Nangalu, where have you gone? Are you okay?"
(08-16-2020, 04:00 PM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing Ning does is mentally reach out, "Nangalu, you there?"

~Yes,~ Nang replies mentally.  ~Where else would I be?~  Ning feels the embedded tail wiggle a little under his scales, like he would feel when Nang gave a wave at someone.
Ning looks at the rest of the party.

"He's still here, I hear him in my mind."