RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-25-2021, 05:21 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ][[Yeah, that's what I was saying.  Right now, her Con is 11.  She has 18 fewer HP than what she should have.  Tonight, her rest will heal one Con damage and return a whole 2 more HP to her.]]

Selina smirks and stifles a chuckle.  "I would like to have something about how brave he is, yes.  He attacked that massive spider and tore off one of its legs.  He also took a bite out of that overly-large, two-headed crocodile.  A strong, brave, powerful canine deserves a strong, brave, powerful name."

While Simon is looking over the fruit, Crozar overhears Selina and Tomeal discussing the naming of the dog and says, "If you would be interested in a Bas-Lag suggestion, there are tales of an old Cactacae deity-figure of animals, the hunt, and protection.  I always thought it would be a fine name for a brave pet: Tegab, the shepherd of all herds, wildlife and livestock. And it would be something pleasant to remember this place by when you leave."  The plant-man adds the last with a smile.
Listening from the rooftop, Betimi rembers her trusty companion through the Underdark, when she had been alone.. how his unbfaltering lead had led her to the world above. She quietly sobbed and remembered Beast. Had it truly only been a matter of perhaps a week or two since she had last run her fingers through his course fur, to scratch his chin just where he liked it?
Tomeal replies, "I guess it depends upon how fancy of a name you want.  You could call him something simple like Butch.  Or something a little more unique like Angelus.  You're a Moon Priestess so you could maybe even call him something related to the moon or something celestial like Spirit or Sirius."

Simon pulls a medium sized trunk from beneath his cloak.  Opens it up and inside it is full of glass tubes beakers, and assorted alchemical substances.  He uses a medlance to draw out a bit of the juice from inside the fruit so it can be studied and then gets to work.  "I do not know of any Cactacae who produce fruit, neither.  It's why I wanted to study the fruit's properties.  How many fruit was gathered?  I believe that wooden creature had something to do with you sprouting the fruit.  Either it was a spell effect or as you mentioned, something torque related.  Or maybe the creature knows of a way to harness the Torque energy to produce certain effects.  I do wonder if this was just a one time occurrence or if it made a permanent mutation or evolution.  You could end up harvesting this fruit every season!  There is so much we don't know about this area of the Torque and how the other energy source I've been detecting has be altering its chaotic effects.  The magnitude of energy this other source is producing to affect the Torque must be enormous.  I shutter to think what could happen if it was somehow released."

Tomeal calls up to Betimi, "I'm sorry you lost your friend.  At the time it must have seemed the loss was for a good cause.  Then Mardak got himself killed anyways."
Selina smiles up to Tomeal for his suggestions and nods.  Then Crozar speaks up and she listens.  A wistful smile crosses her face...until Tomeal speaks with Betimi and she is instantly sobered.  The smile falls away from her face as she remembers the entire episode.  The worst part was that it had been thoroughly avoidable.  Selina had a mule of her own whom she was not anywhere near as attached to and would have...sacrificed it...so that Betimi wouldn't have to give up her companion.  The tender priestess leans her head over and, with a sigh, gives the dog another hug.

"I am sorry, Betimi.  I am sorry Beast was surrendered to the foolishness of that...that boorish young man.  I wish I had been faster or wiser at the time.  At least we will not be seeing Unreth again.  Slaying it is something I am most certainly not sorry about."

She looks at Crozar again, then gives the dog a few more rubs.  "What do you think about Tegab?  Do you like it?"
Betimi nods solemnly but continues to sob quietly      [OoC  under the influence of Focalor she is an emotional mess.. it is what he does]]
(05-26-2021, 04:25 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]She looks at Crozar again, then gives the dog a few more rubs.  "What do you think about Tegab?  Do you like it?"

Dog's ears stick up and his head tilts to the side slightly like he really is trying to listen and understand.  The wolf-hound then begins to lick Selina's face.
Crozar smiles and says, "I'm no expert on non-sentient fauna, but that seems a pretty positive response, correct?"
"Me think Selina could call him Stupid, and he'd still lick her face, as long as she say it nice. He cares how you treat him, less what he is called. But he has earned a good strong warrior name, like Eeek and Meek"

{OoC obviously not quite getting where teh Common translation to Eeeek and Meek came from, they don't translate in Draconic]
Selina smiles through the dog licks at Crozar, then feels she absolutely must respond to Ningalu.  "There is an age-old saying in Waterdeep that states 'Those who are named well, fare well.  Those who are named for ill, fare not so well'.  A name is more than just a word describing something.  It ultimately defines how that named thing is treated for the remainder of its days.  If you call something 'Stupid', you will treat it as such.  Not necessarily intentionally, but it comes out subconsciously in your manners and mannerisms."
Simon eventually finishes up his analysis of the fruit.  "It appears what we have here is something I'm calling a Potion Fruit.  When you eat them, they cast Vigor spell on you.  How many did you say was gathered?"

Quote:VIGOR
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Cleric 3, Druid 3,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 10 rounds + 1 round/level (max 25 rounds)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell functions like lesser vigor, except as noted here and that it grants fast healing 2.

Unless there is something more for you to do, you all eventually camp for the night.  The cavern has a dim otherworldly glow that plays tricks with your eyes.  Shadowy apparitions lurk in the corners of your vision that you know is just your imagination playing tricks on you but you can't help but look just in case this time it might be real.  The dead silence is occasionally shattered by the nocturnal howling of some mutant creature that seem strangely familiar.  Maybe it once was a bear or even a dying moose... You're not sure... Whatever mutations that have been inflicted on the creatures make them sound alien and raises the hairs on the back of your necks.  Each of you share these experiences when it's your time to take watch and despite the night seeming incredibly drawn out, everyone begins to wake up to start their morning rituals.

[I made the Torque checks.  You're lucky you stayed in the circle or Betimi would have gained 200 pounds overnight and the Wolf-Hound would have had its paws switched out for suction cups. ]