RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Why yes, I did mean practice jumping off the ship and controlling our descent. Just attach a long rope to draw us back up."

Her expression shows absolutely neo fear of heights, though the open sky above definitely makes her uncomfortable.
Nacesh ponders the underworldly woman's wits.

"Would that work? Or would the ropes get in the way of the contraption?" he asks their host.
Selina nods in response to Simon.  "So then the Chaotic energy is becoming worse?  Will that effect the...mechanical origins of the devices you are supplying us with?"  She then watches Betimi seemingly eager to jump off a ship suspended hundreds of feet in the air from a group of spinning pieces of metal!
Simon replies to Nachesh, "No, it should work just fine but I can not account for every variable.  There will always be some risk when being dragged across the sky, over mountains by an airship with essentially just a blanket to slow your fall."

To Selina he replies, "No, it's not the torque which grows stronger.  It's the strange energy source I detected that is growing in strength.  This is not in itself surprising.  As one steps closer to a flame its heat will eventually burn.  But what I'm detecting now is this unidentified energy source is somehow affecting the Torque in some unique way.  Which is interesting because until now, the Torque was so overwhelming, whatever was brought into the Torque was mutated.  This does not seem to be the case with this unidentified energy."
The spearman looks around in the company, pondering the opportunities.
"Maybe it's something we brought here? Something we carry on ourselves? Or one of us?"
"It not me...  I bring only pick."
The spearman shakes his head, fishing in his pockets.
"No, I meant something more specific. Like... one of our more exotic magic items. Maybe this one," he says, producing the magical bandage.
"Or something even more exotic. Like... some leftover from Unreth." He pointedly looks at Betimi, indicating her armour.
"Or something in our bloodline. Dragonkin, serpentine, underworldly, warforged... Thinking about it, maybe Kee's the only one not having what some would call exotic in his bloodline. Or do you?" he asks, turning to the dwarf.

OOC - I think Gilley and Tomeal are similarly "innocent" but Nacesh is not as observant as one would imagine.
Betimi shakes her head, believing Nacesh has missed the mark.

"I think you overestimate our importance. I doubt we have any bearing on the energy sources growth, or on its effect on the Torque. We are likely as inconsequential to both as a moth is to a flame, to continue Simon's analogy. The trick is going to be getting close enough to find the source of the energy, without suffering the moths fate."
While sipping a steaming cup of coffee, Simon looks back and forth at each one of you and nods sagely while you discuss the situation.  Noticing a lull in conversation Simon says, "So, are we doing this?  We are doing this right?  Jumping out of the ship over the mountains?  You are far braver than I my friends."  Assuming there is no objection, Simon finishes the last of his coffee with one big gulp and the begins preparing the packs of parachutes.  

"I assume you want to do this one or two at a time?  Any more might cause the tethers to tangle.  That would be quite the mess indeed!" 

After about 10 minutes the packs are organized and each of you are given one of them to strap on your backs.  "Ok, who's first?"
Betimi steps forward.

"Only one of us should try, if it is too dangerous we will find out without undue losses. I will volunteer to go first."

[OoC this is where her complete immunity to fear can be a hindrance to her survivability. At least she doesn't have it combined with kender curiousity.]