RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kubo will enter the cave, and check to see if the runes are perhaps in a dwarven dialect that he can perhaps gleam some meaning from. If not he will inquire if anyone has magics that allow them to read and understand other languages?
NIngalu flies into the cave following Crozar and Kubo. He will insist on checking for traps before allowing Nang to take over.

[Search / Trapffinding +15]
(01-26-2022, 04:51 AM)Ningalu Baal'urki Wrote: [ -> ]NIngalu flies into the cave following Crozar and Kubo.  He will insist on checking for traps before allowing Nang to take over.

[Search / Trapffinding +15]

The door seems to be made of wood and decorated with a tangle of thorny vines.  There is script written in glowing runes around its edge and in the middle is a featureless face with a pair of semiprecious stones for eyes.  One of the eyes are glowing brightly.

The only trap you find is on the glowing eye.  You believe the eye is enchanted with the lightning trap that kept regenerating and blasting electricity.  Judging by the brightly glowing eye, you think the trap has reset but is no longer timed to go off every 3 rounds.  Probably moving the blobs of flesh within range of the trap would restart the process of blasting to regenerate the giants again.  Obviously it's a way to not only damage people but to keep the guardians 'alive' and ready to smash trespassers.
[[Selina would have walked in with Simon.]]

[[Selina's player is just dealing with some stuff IRL.]]
[[Is it a human-esque face, or one of the other races of Crobuzon?]]
The face looks like a humanish porcelain mask except it's part of the door and appears black with some dark mossy highlights.

[Image: QtSIr2b.jpg]

Ning approaches the portal.  As the arm sticking out of his chest begins the spell's somatic gesture, Ning speaks the words of his brother's spell.  Suddenly the script written around the edge of the door begins shining with a dark blue glow.  Ning whispers in Draconic, "Reveal your secrets...  Aparecium..."  A dark blue light begins to shine through the wood under the featureless face.  Slowly the light takes the form of some unknown script.  Nang stares at the script for a few seconds then says, "I can't read that language and I don't have any spells memorized that could help comprehend the language.  Do any of you understand what it says?"
Selina takes a closer look when Ningalu reveals the script. She doubts she'll be able to read it any better, but it's best to give it a shot.

[[She won't know what it says. She speaks Common and pidgin Ragamoll. And she hasn't prepared Tongues or anything similar.]]
The face looks like a humanish porcelain mask except it's part of the door and appears black with some dark mossy highlights.

[Image: QtSIr2b.jpg]

Ning approaches the portal.  As the arm sticking out of his chest begins the spell's somatic gesture, Ning speaks the words of his brother's spell.  Suddenly the script written around the edge of the door begins shining with a dark blue glow.  Ning whispers in Draconic, "Reveal your secrets...  Aparecium..."  A dark blue light begins to shine through the wood under the featureless face.  Slowly the light takes the form of some unknown script.  Nang stares at the script for a few seconds then says, "I can't read that language and I don't have any spells memorized that could help comprehend the language.  Do any of you understand what it says?"

Each of you review the newly revealed glowing writing but none of you speak the language it's written in.  Elphaba steps forth and says, "It says, 'To those who wish to traverse, answer the riddle or suffer the curse.'  Hmmm... not exactly epic poetry but it does get to the point."
Selina blinks and nods her thanks to Elphaba.  "A riddle.  And of course a challenge would bear a punishment for an incorrect answer.  I do wonder if the riddle's parameters start with some form of action in relation to the gate, or whether or not the answer must be in the same language."
(02-02-2022, 10:01 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina blinks and nods her thanks to Elphaba.  "A riddle.  And of course a challenge would bear a punishment for an incorrect answer.  I do wonder if the riddle's parameters start with some form of action in relation to the gate, or whether or not the answer must be in the same language."

"I'm not sure," Elphaba replies. "The inscription doesn't say anything about needing to answer in a particular language.  Perhaps the riddle itself will hint at the way we're supposed to reply.  I believe when we're ready, we are to tell the door we're ready for the riddle."