RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The party begins walking along a path that you suspect to be a large wrinkle or vein of whatever wretched fluid keeps this mass of flesh alive.  As you travel, reeking pools of bile, acids, and viscera ooze from pores that dot the fleshy landscape around you.  Gnarled, twisted, poles, as well as patches of thick briars randomly grow out of the flesh, here and there until you spot a 'forest' of the strange growths so closely packed that movement will be hampered if you travel through it.  

"The last time I was here, it wasn't so thick," the old woman says.  "I'm not sure if we could go around it because it might grow right to the walls of the cavern on either side."  

Simon cringes and says, "That does not look at all hygienic!"
Crozar shifts its grip on the Greatcleaver and says, "My blade may be able to act as a razor for these growths, or I can summon a servant of Sunshad to try to burn through.  Before we do commit to that though," the Cacatae looks to Ning and Nang, "would our flier be willing to ascend and confirm that we can't go around?  It might be useful for a flying scout to help guide our path through this twisting and gross terrain."
[[Er, um...I think Selina advocated for the other path, but if this is what the group decides...]]

Selina curls her lip as she enters the Flesh Lands.  She had seen things that disgusted her.  Unreth from a visceral perspective, and this entire bloody plane was beginning to overwhelm her with the myriad ways it made absolutely no sense to her.  "This entire area is cancerous.  It grows because that is all it does.  Perhaps we should find another route if there is any chance of it growing to overcome us."
(07-07-2021, 01:14 PM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote: [ -> ]Crozar shifts its grip on the Greatcleaver and says, "My blade may be able to act as a razor for these growths, or I can summon a servant of Sunshad to try to burn through.  Before we do commit to that though," the Cacatae looks to Ning and Nang, "would our flier be willing to ascend and confirm that we can't go around?  It might be useful for a flying scout to help guide our path through this twisting and gross terrain."

Ning nods, then flies up  about 20 feet to gret a bird's eye view of the cavern. Looking for any way around the 'forest'
[OoC: Sorry for the delay.  There's some crappy things going on right now so my mind has been elsewhere.  ]

[OoC2: Selina, what other path were you advocating for?  The old woman is leading you all in the only direction she knows that doesn't take you directly into the Flesh Fields, which if you want to go off the path you're more than welcome.  I won't force you to go in any direction you don't want to.  but this path doesn't split into 2 routes until later on.  ]

There doesn't seem to be any obvious way around the forest.  You see the cave is narrowing and these poles that rise 10' to 12' in the air fill the 50' high cavern seem to go on for 1.5 to 2 miles.
Ningalu descends and reports this to the party, there doesn't seem any way around the 'forest' ofd poles,m not even at the edge of the cave.
"That is unfortunate.  I know of few fleshy things that do not react negatively to being cut.  Any other suggestions for how to proceed?"  Crozar approaches the nearest stand of growths to examine them closer.

[[OOC: How hampered would our movement be through the skin grove?  Do we have to cut a path to move safely?]]
(07-12-2021, 04:16 PM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote: [ -> ]"That is unfortunate.  I know of few fleshy things that do not react negatively to being cut.  Any other suggestions for how to proceed?"  Crozar approaches the nearest stand of growths to examine them closer.

[[OOC: How hampered would our movement be through the skin grove?  Do we have to cut a path to move safely?]]

[OoC: You're movement would be reduced to half speed and you can't charge or run.  ]
(07-12-2021, 06:17 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][OoC: Sorry for the delay.  There's some crappy things going on right now so my mind has been elsewhere.  ]

[OoC2: Selina, what other path were you advocating for?  The old woman is leading you all in the only direction she knows that doesn't take you directly into the Flesh Fields, which if you want to go off the path you're more than welcome.  I won't force you to go in any direction you don't want to.  but this path doesn't split into 2 routes until later on.  ]

There doesn't seem to be any obvious way around the forest.  You see the cave is narrowing and these poles that rise 10' to 12' in the air fill the 50' high cavern seem to go on for 1.5 to 2 miles.

[[That's probably because I misunderstood.  I thought the path we're taking goes through the Flesh Lands and there was a "shortcut" that didn't involve going through the Flesh Lands.]]
Distaste obvious in it's voice, Crozar says, "There seems to be nothing for it but to push through.  I'm sure between Kubo's axes and my cleaver we could clear path, but I'm not sure if the time and risk is worth it as we don't plan to come back this way."