RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Magistrate listens as each prisoner speaks.  Once finished he replies, "Unfortunately, ignorance of our laws is no defense against punishment otherwise everyone would claim such.  However, I do consider myself more 'liberal' than other Magistrates who believe a good ReMaking can set an example for others even if the punishment isn't entirely fair to the convicted.  However I believe, when justified, ReMaking can be a rewarding task and my peers consider my ReMakings to be quite creative.  But every so often for one reason or another I do lose a bit of enthusiasm for my profession when required to ReMake certain individuals whose guilt may not be absolute."

Turning his gaze to address Selina, the apparent leader of the group, the Magistrate says, "Your passion while stating your case is reasonable without being pitiful and it is appreciated.  So often the accused believe excessive emotion will sway judgement.  But tears are truly wasted in this court."  

"Now...  I have heard many of you use for your defense that your arrival to this world was purely accidental.  I am inclined to accept this defense as a reasonable.  And in the interest of Justice I grant each of you a reprieve from execution.  However, whether intentional or not, you (Looking at Kee) have damaged the barrier between our plane and others.  In laymen's terms your disrupted ritual has created tiny fractures in the dam which holds back an ocean of planar chaos.  The rest of you then further weakened this dam when you attempted to sail through one of those fractures and smashed your way into this world.  Thereby turning that fracture into a gaping maw which is now vomiting this ocean of chaos into our reality.  Do you see how that may be a problem for a world still recovering from the last planar incursion by aliens into our realm?  How maybe the population would want a punishment to be exacted upon those who have endangered them to the possibility of another age of untold horrors?"
Betimi looks back at the group, and their leader, at Nacesh, even at the diminutive Eep, still in the sack with just his head sticking out, the rest bound tight around him.

~They are not strong enough for this.. I know.. it is just like the Pits, where the abominations are spawned.. we are bred for this.. to be Rebirthed.. no.. no.. i will not give you up my baby.. you are mine... but someone must accept judgement...~

~no.. I will see they do not tear us apart... we are strong enough...~

Betimi takes a step forward, as much as her bonds allow...

"For my friends, I shall accept judgement. As long as they are not harmed."
The Magistrate's eyes shift from face to face waiting for any further responses.
Selina shakes her head, fear trembling in her heart even as she forces herself to remain calm.  "We arrived in this place together.  As a group, as a team.  We go where we must go as a group, as a team."
Nacesh nods at Selina's wise words.
"We claim to be innocent because we are. We are victims to these fractures in the fabric of planes and none of us should be judged because of being a victim. With all due respect, Magistrate, and admitting my utter lack of knowledge of how your society works, such fractures need not be public knowledge and should go unnoticed by the large masses unless the leaders of the society intend to inform the population. Either that, or someone who wishes ill to those leaders; like, an attempt to overthrow you. I certainly assume you have considered this as a possible threat and if someone then outsiders are not candidates for that."

Having exhausted his weekly allotment in words of wisdom, Nacesh falls back silent, in hopes that his attempt at verbal diplomacy would not harm the cause.
(I rolled previously, reuse it if you considered it irrelevant at that point => fail big time --- or please roll anew if you deem appropriate)
[OoC: I am taking your diplomacy checks into consideration.  Especially as a way to offer you all additional info.  Information he wouldn't care to give to those who didn't try diplomacy to influence the verdict.]

(11-07-2017, 07:47 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina shakes her head, fear trembling in her heart even as she forces herself to remain calm.  "We arrived in this place together.  As a group, as a team.  We go where we must go as a group, as a team."

"How noble.  It's a quality I don't often see within my court.  I will attempt to be as gentle as possible with all of your ReMakings..."

The Magistrate listens to Nacesh then replies, "Unfortunately the rumors of the fractures have already begun to spread.   Your arrival in the pub did not go unnoticed.  Hungry ears picked up your conversation and then the information was sold to fill even hungrier pockets.  Inquisitors were then dispatched to find and interrogate your green friend.  For someone who barely knows you, he was quite loyal and resisted longer then expected.  His family is still holding out hope he will survive but I am not so confident."

The Magistrate clears his throat then straightens he's black jacket.  He looks down upon you all and states, "Is there anything else you have to say for yourselves before I declare your ReMakings?"
Betimi looks at Selina pleadingly, "I will survive, being experimented upon and reshaped is what has always been our purpose, from birth. Not so for you or Nacesh, or little Eek. It is noble, and no one has ever offered to be reshaped alongside us before, but please allow me to accept this judgement if the Magistrate must make an example. You are my family now, if one if us must be ReMade, let it be us..it is nit the first time we have been through such. It is what we are bred for."

She turns back to the Magistrate

"My heart swells with adoration for my family, yet we must insist. It us an injustice that any of us be ReMade, but if it must be so according to your laws, let me accept your judgement for my fellows. We know Selina shall be angry with us,
but she will be alive and hale. We shall accept her anger because she will be able to feel anger rather than misery or death.
OOC - Diplomacy [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16

Kee continues from that point where Nacesh stopped:

- I already told what happened with me, so I'm a victim and guilty too, it's depend on the point of view.
But these things have already happened and can not be made back. So, how could you reduce the negative effects and how could I help for you in this?
"A good point indeed." Nacesh nods at Kee then turns to the Magistrate.

"Highness, can we please have a minute of private conversation as a group, a team, a family?"

If the magistrate complies then he'll address the following to the team so that the Magistrate cannot hear. If the Magistrate doesn't allow privacy then he'll tell the same to Selina, not making any secret of it.

"Why not let his highness make advantage of our presence? Let him assign us a task that is beneficial to him as the leader of the community and by undertaking it we can prove our benevolence."

Another diplomacy check, hopefully this time better...
Diplomacy [1d20+6] = 15+6 = 21 "as a team..."
[OoC: The Magistrate will allow you to speak quietly among yourselves.

Does anyone have anything else to say before I post?]