RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As soon as Selina steps up beside Betimi she sees that Betimi is softly weeping. Selina cannot help but feel an overwhelming sense of sadness and grief. Then Betimi realizes Selina is there, and abruptly the feeling of grief vanishes.

Quote:Aura of Sadness: You emit an aura of depression and anguish that overtakes even the strongest-willed creatures. Every adjacent creature is overcome with grief, which manifests as a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks, for as long as it remains adjacent to you. You can suppress or activate this ability as a standard action. Aura of sadness is a mind-affecting ability.
(08-07-2020, 04:41 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2020, 03:42 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina's head snaps around when she hears the crackle of lightning sizzling through the air to proceed the stench of charred flesh.  She grins, somehow knowing that the creature is done for, and walls over to give Betimi a gentle pat on the shoulder.

"Well done.  Quite an impressive feat, I must say.  Could you tell me a little bit about what else you can do?"

Selina had never seen this capability in her before.

[[OoC: At level four, 3d6 damage every turn is fantastic.  Especially if it's auto-hit.]]

When Selina approaches Betimi, despite initially feeling impressed at the electrical display and happy the creature is finally dead, she's suddenly overcome with depression and grief.  

[Aura of Sadness: manifests as –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks, for as long as anyone remains adjacent to Betimi.]

[[HA!  Betimi beat me to it!!]]

[[Personally I don't think the damage scales very well and it only affects 1 creature.  It causes 4d6 at 8th; 5d6 at 11th; 6d6 at 14th; 7d6 at 17th; 8d6 at 20th.  You'd have to 26th level before it does 10d6 damage which wizards have been able to do since 10th level to multiple creatures.  But since you can do it every round I'm not going to complain.   Tongue  ]]
Selina's body is shocked by the sudden wave that nearly flattens her as Betimi's weeping breaths threaten to overtake her.  Blinking through sudden tears of her own, the cleric's head droops sadly as a single word escapes through a cloud of barely-concealed pain: "Samara..."
When Selina is overcome with grief she feels a hand gently touch her shoulder.  Tomeal asks, "Are you alright?"  But with the force of Betimi's will, the wave of grief vanishes as quickly as it overcame her.

Simon says, "We should searching the area.  If anyone can swim, I suggest they look in the pool while the rest of use scour the rest of the cave."
"Check the bodies, I shall search the pond."

Betimi takes her silver-tippedspear and begins to wade into the water. She doesn't so much swim as simply walk under the water. Nor does she bother to take a big gulp of air before going under. . Under the water she begins to search the bottom of the pond. 

Away from the others she can let her guard down and let the waves of her grief wash over her, she isn't even sure what she is mourning. She has never felt love, so does not know what it would be like to lose something that she loved . Maybe she mourned Beast, he had been a faithful companion in the darkness when she was fleeing to thos world. Maybe it was the fact that she had never felt loe that she mourned. But no, that was not true, she loved her babies and they loved her.
Ning/Nang begins to search the orc's body, seting anything interesting in a neat stack, to have detect mahic cast on it once he has searched all three bodies.
(08-07-2020, 05:05 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]When Selina is overcome with grief she feels a hand gently touch her shoulder.  Tomeal asks, "Are you alright?"  But with the force of Betimi's will, the wave of grief vanishes as quickly as it overcame her.

Selina gasps, the pain and anxiety that smashed at her mind gone as quickly as it arrived.  Slowly, she brings herself to a calming place at the touch of Tomeal's hand and closes her eyes, willing the agonizing thoughts of loss and grief to melt away.  It takes her a few moments before she is ready to respond in a voice still trembling.

"Not here.  Please.  I'll tell you later.   When we're alone."
(08-07-2020, 04:44 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][[HA!  Betimi beat me to it!!]]

[[Personally I don't think the damage scales very well and it only affects 1 creature.  It causes 4d6 at 8th; 5d6 at 11th; 6d6 at 14th; 7d6 at 17th; 8d6 at 20th.  You'd have to 26th level before it does 10d6 damage which wizards have been able to do since 10th level to multiple creatures.  But since you can do it every round I'm not going to complain.   Tongue  ]]

[[It's almost exactly like the spell Call Lightning...except it's a supernatural ability (so no SR, counterspelling, or dispelling) and she's getting it a whole level earlier than a druid.  Is it Polymorph or Gate?  Of course not.  Is it consistent damage without requiring the expenditure of a valuable spell slot?  You betcha.]]
Searching the Half-Orc first you find: 

MW mighty composite longbow (+4 str)
MW handaxe
11 MW arrows
MW Falchion
MW Breastplate
Vial:  Glowing liquid that is crimson in color. It smells and tastes like ginger.
Vial:  Glowing liquid that is white with orange globules. It smells like excrement and vanilla, but tastes like tea and rum
Vial:  transparent, slimy draught that is pink with ochre flashes. It smells and tastes like ashes.
Vial:  Bubbling, thin mixture that is emerald in color. It smells like chocolate and lemon, but tastes like acid and salt.
Vial:  Ichorous liquid that is cobalt in color. It smells like vanilla and strawberries, but tastes like earwax.
Vial:  oily mixture that is azure with silver accretions on the side. It smells and tastes like blueberries.
Thunderstone
160 gp.

Betimi enters the pond and finds a dead raven with a silver cameo attached by a silver chain to its foot.  The cameo is open and inside is an ivory carving of a woman's profile.  It the carving glows bright with a continual flame spell.  Also close to the raven's body is a ornately carved thin stick that's likely some kind of wand.
(08-07-2020, 06:14 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina gasps, the pain and anxiety that smashed at her mind gone as quickly as it arrived.  Slowly, she brings herself to a calming place at the touch of Tomeal's hand and closes her eyes, willing the agonizing thoughts of loss and grief to melt away.  It takes her a few moments before she is ready to respond in a voice still trembling.

"Not here.  Please.  I'll tell you later.   When we're alone."

Respecting Selina's wishes, Tomeal nods once but keeps an concerned eye upon her.