RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Selina doesn't seem to mind the fact that the cheetah and hound have taken to each other.  Perhaps there was a divine reason to it.  "I am not about to question such an occurrence.  Why look a gift horse in the mouth?  The fewer conflicts we have to deal with, the better.  We have few enough advantages as it is, after all."

She has a look around, noting the relative peace of her companions and decides that no, dogs and cats living together was indeed not the apocalypse it may have been proclaimed to be.

When the stranger enters and asks for water, and the hound reacts, Selina's nerves set on edge once more and she decides to be as absolutely certain as she can be about this individual before responding.

sense motive: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24

((That's pretty damn certain...))
Selena doesn't sense that the stranger is a danger to them, at least for the moment.  The stranger does have a strange aura of desperation clinging to them which was a little unnerving.  Also, despite his stooped and rather pathetic appearance of his clothing (except the cloak), Selina gets a sense that the stranger is being a little deceptive.  It was hard to pin down but she feels there's a subtle smoothness to how the stranger moves that seemed almost unnatural or maybe even predatory.  And as for the crusted, red stained cup... water wasn't difficult to find.  In fact there are two rivers that merge into one, flowing through the center of the city and Selena has seen barrels for rain water dotted around the neighborhood.
Forge doesn't hesitate to close the curtains. When the stranger begs for water he immediately goes to the nearest water source and brings it to the cloaked figure.
"I am afraid what you seek for a drink is rather more precious than water?"

Betimi's face is smooth and devoid of emotion, her black pupilless eyes not giving away a hint of what she is thinking.

"perhaps if your information is worth it, we can trade. But not before I think. I for one prefer my blood to remain in my veins."
Selina immediately feels the hairs on the back of her neck rising as she picks up on the subtlety of this person’s deception.  On edge, she rises to a standing position, facing him fully and leveling a neutral expression at him as Betimi confirms her initial discomfort.  Selina says “Indeed.  We shall see what you have made available for us before negotiations can commence.”
When Forge brings the stranger some water, he pauses a moment and then dumps the water into a nearby potted plant.

"No no," the stranger replies meekly.  "You misunderstand.  The information I offer has already been paid for by the one you sought for information.  Your 'friend' sometimes uses my services to avoid any chance of spies using Thaumaturges to pry sensitive information from my thoughts.  My mind is invulnerable to such intrusions.  I... I'm just thirsty from my daylight travels.  Even with thick cloaks, traveling in the waking hours can be ex-exhausting." 

"Vampyr!," Simon hisses in horror while taking a few steps back.  "An Ab-dead, here?  In Crobuzon?  In my lab -- my HOME!"

"You did invite me inside," the stranger replies with a subtle hint of amusement.  

"But don't your kind stow away on the floating city, Armada?  There's rumor the captain even demands a blood tax from his citizens to keep your kind fed and servile."

"No demands.  Armada's citizens are unusually accepting and willingly pay the tax," the stranger replies.  "But I've never been fond of sailing so I live in New Crobuzon."

The mechanical dustbin senses the mess the kobolds made when digging through the trash and suddenly activates.  It's broom and dust pan begin efficiently cleaning up any dirt and garbage left on the floor.

"Well, I'm now uninviting you!" Simon snaps.

"Sir, it doesn't actually work that way."  The stranger pivots away from Simon to face the group.  "Please, I beg of you.  Just a few drops before we start.  I'm so so parched."

The wolf-hound continues to growl menacingly at the stranger.  Ready to try to rip its throat out at the slightest hint of aggression from the Ab-Dead (Abnormal-Dead).
"And you believe one of us to be so keen on granting a favor to one of the undead so readily?  I have a solid mind to dispatch you right here where you stand. For what reason would I or those in my company offer you something so precious so freely?"

Selina is definitely beginning to look distinctly uncomfortable.  Not only did the people of this city unnerve her, but the Undead walked the streets quite openly!  Slowly, as she speaks, she settles herself into a position more ready to defend herself and her allies.
Vampyr? Forge had no knowledge of such a thing.  Why was everyone concerned about this stranger in need? He stopped in his tracks carrying a laddle of water.  Betimi spoke of blood, Selina was on guard as well, the dog creature was growling, Simon too was hissing, and this all meant something but Forge was at a loss.  "You need... blood?"  He asked, knowing the many ways to kill warforged and man alike. Man bleeding out was one method.  

Men were powerful in ways but their bodies not as strong as the warforged.  Forge did what he always did in chaotic times and took stock of the situation. The vampry needed blood, wore a heavy cloak, needed permission to enter Simon's domicile, desired the curtains be drawn, and it put his companions ill at ease. Undead. Pushing aside the idea that being un-dead was a good thing, Forge readies himself to defend his companions from this man who's intentions seemed genuine to him.
"I guess you know nothing about Vampyr.  Or at least the Vampyr in this world," Simon says quietly.  "Some bolder Vampyr are a source of terror for most humans.  But they are considered the lowest of the low by other Ab-Dead, similar to drug addicts, begging on the streets for blood from the living.  They are infected with a disease called Photophobic Haemophagy so other Ab-Dead look down upon them for not being true Ab-Dead.  Begging for blood is second nature to these creatures."

"You know what Hemo-Farmers say," The Vampyr hisses.  "It's in you, to give..."   

Simon ignores its attempt at humor and instead just says, "Be careful.  Like I said, they are infected with P.H. and it's considered highly contagious.  If you have a break in the skin and you get some saliva or blood in the break you could end up just like one of these forked tongued devils."

The Vampyr sighs through its fanged teeth and then continues, "Like I've said, I've already been promised payment for this service.  So I'm here to tell you, your transportation -- what ever it is -- has been set up for tomorrow night at midnight at the same spot you were dropped off.  Whatever that means.  He didn't share.  He said you would know what he was referring to."
Kee turns to Simon and asks:
- Is it possible to cure this infection with the power of gods? Are they needed humanoid blood or a pig's blood is also good for them?