RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[The question was regarding which path did the party want to take.  The cave-in which is the short cut or the main path. ]

"This is not terrian you would be familiar with," the old woman replies quietly.  She then lifts her spear and thrusts the tip into the ground, where you witness red fluid begin to bubble up from below.  It has the color and viscosity of blood.  "These lands are alive."
Ningalu hovers along above the smelly mess. "me vote we try shortcut. We can try tunnelling through. Kobolds good at tunnelling."
"My kin are no slouches at mining and tunnel building either!", comments Kubo.
The smell, coupled with Elphaba's decision to stab the land and draw blood, nearly makes Selina's stomach turn.  It wasn't the bloodletting that sickened her.  She was a priestess, first and foremost, and had seen all manner of blood and bile and wound.  In addition, she was a warrior, so she had dealt a fair number of wounds herself.  It was the idea that the land itself was living and, apparently, actively rotting.

"Ordinarily I would argue that 'Shortcuts make for long delays', but I am as insistent as you are in leaving this place and going home.  So I will not opine in such a manner."
Crozar shrugged and said, "If the land itself is alive, I'm not sure that digging through a potential collapse is going to be as easy as you three think. I am fine with going either route, so let's head for the shortcut then."
(06-23-2021, 12:42 PM)Crozar the Sunspot Wrote: [ -> ]Crozar shrugged and said, "If the land itself is alive, I'm not sure that digging through a potential collapse is going to be as easy as you three think. I am fine with going either route, so let's head for the shortcut then."

The old woman replies, "The cave-in isn't made of mutated flesh.  It is actual rock."  

"I first saw this flesh growing on the strange moss in the area.  It seemed both had taken aspects from each other to create a unique... well... thing!  Soon the moss took on the appearance of flesh while the flesh started growing like moss.   I do warn you, we should not rest while passing through these Flesh Lands.  This strange moss thrives so well in this area, it will quickly grow on anything that passes through.  Especially on anything that stays stationary for too long.  It seems more like a disease than a plant.  The only reason why my shack wasn't overtaken was because of the natural skylight in the rock ceiling.  It doesn't seem to like sunlight.  Even the small amount that filters into the cave.  And you certainly don't want to do anything that might encourage it to grow.  The Tree-man keeps on top of eliminating its growth on his side of the river through controlled fires and making sure excess waste is removed that might accelerate its growth."

"Well... There is only one sort-of natural path through this fleshy land.  It's kind of a natural wrinkle.  Once we get to the fork the cave-in won't be far off."
"I wonder if there might be a way to artificially create sunlight in the...Flesh Lands, you called them?  Perhaps if we had a system of mirrors in place or a druid.  Does the mutation seem to be affected by anything besides sunlight and fire?  Acid, perhaps?"  Not that Selina had any acid on her.
Crozar says, "I'm not sure how long I could maintain my control, but the servants I summon are living sunlight, so if there are problems, that should be fairly effective."
Selina smiles at Crozar.  "Yes, and they are most certainly useful.  My only concern is how long we will be traveling through these...Flesh Lands.  If your elementals are anything like the other elementals I know about, they will not last very long, leaving us requiring a more persistent system."
Crozar returned the smile and nodded.  "I meant as an emergency response." it clarifies, "Unfotunately, I do not believe any of my prepared spells are capable of a longer term effect either.  We may just have to rely of the blessings of Sunshad to bring us through."