RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He nods slightly.  "Don't get much interest in chitin but I can fashion some but it's not cheap.  Since you have the chitin that will take the price down some."

[OoC: I found this information.  It's from "Races of Dragon" and it's made from Beetle chitin but I don't see any reason why we can't use the same information for for Spider chitin.]
Though less durable than dragonhide, chitin armor (also known as beetleback armor) has other advantages. Chitin is less restricting than metal, even though it weighs the same amount. The maximum Dexterity bonus of an armor or shield made of chitin is 1 greater than that of the same type of armor made from metal. Breastplates, half-plate armor, full plate armor, and shields can be made from chitin. (Typically, the only kind of shield crafted from chitin is a tower shield, since most shields don’t have a maximum Dexterity bonus.)

A single giant beetle provides enough material to create a single breastplate or tower shield sized for a character of the same size category as the beetle (or two such items for a character two or more sizes smaller than the beetle). For example, a Large giant stag beetle has enough chitin to make either a breastplate or a tower shield sized for a Large character, or two such items for Medium or smaller characters. A suit of half-plate or full plate armor takes twice as much chitin, while a light shield or heavy shield takes half as much. (A chitin buckler can be made from the cast-off bits of any giant beetle.) The chitin from multiple giant beetles can be combined; a Small beetle counts as half of a Medium beetle, a Medium beetle as half of a Large beetle, and so forth.

Because chitin armor isn’t made from metal, druids can wear it without penalty. Armor and shields fashioned from chitin are always masterwork items; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. Chitin armor or shields cost double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but take no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Chitin armor has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 5.
(08-25-2017, 05:45 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]He nods slightly.  "Don't get much interest in chitin but I can fashion some but it's not cheap.  Since you have the chitin that will take the price down some."

[OoC: I found this information.  It's from "Races of Dragon" and it's made from Beetle chitin but I don't see any reason why we can't use the same information for for Spider chitin.]
Though less durable than dragonhide, chitin armor (also known as beetleback armor) has other advantages. Chitin is less restricting than metal, even though it weighs the same amount. The maximum Dexterity bonus of an armor or shield made of chitin is 1 greater than that of the same type of armor made from metal. Breastplates, half-plate armor, full plate armor, and shields can be made from chitin. (Typically, the only kind of shield crafted from chitin is a tower shield, since most shields don’t have a maximum Dexterity bonus.)

A single giant beetle provides enough material to create a single breastplate or tower shield sized for a character of the same size category as the beetle (or two such items for a character two or more sizes smaller than the beetle). For example, a Large giant stag beetle has enough chitin to make either a breastplate or a tower shield sized for a Large character, or two such items for Medium or smaller characters. A suit of half-plate or full plate armor takes twice as much chitin, while a light shield or heavy shield takes half as much. (A chitin buckler can be made from the cast-off bits of any giant beetle.) The chitin from multiple giant beetles can be combined; a Small beetle counts as half of a Medium beetle, a Medium beetle as half of a Large beetle, and so forth.

Because chitin armor isn’t made from metal, druids can wear it without penalty. Armor and shields fashioned from chitin are always masterwork items; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. Chitin armor or shields cost double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but take no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Chitin armor has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 5.
[OoC:  that was the Kobold version I mentioned in PM. the other alternative is just Chitin armor from Sandstorm or Stormwrack, which is frankly inferior.  I thought you had said no to this version so I like it. So when Simon is done with Unreth's chitin I could gert it made into a chitin breastplate for 700 gp.. well worth it Big Grin]
[OoC: I don't remember saying no. I thought we were just looking at all the options. If I did then that was my error. ]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
'Betimi' nods.

"The armour would be for a female. When we acquire the chitin I will send her back to you with what is needed for the commission"
"The price depends upon the type of armor; the material; and the skill needed to fashion the armor.  Since you have the material, I will take a percentage off the price.  But you haven't told me what type of suit of armor does she want to purchase."

[OoC: The cost of the raw materials is one third the item's total cost.  So I will give you 25% off with the difference being the cost of extra raw materials such as buckles, straps, padding, etc. that he would have to supply.  Does that sound fair? ]

[OoC2:  A new player will be joining soon.  I'm just waiting for him to reply to my last PM.]
"Oh, I thought I had said.  She would want a breastplate of course. She will require training to wear at least that much So we have a little time."
"Well this may take a week or more.  It depends on how easily the chitin takes to molding and reshaping.  But I'm sure she will be happy with the result."

The door to the smithy opens and a small humanoid strolls inside.  He begins to casually look around...

[OoC:  Anyone who makes an unskilled Knowledge Religion check DC:10 (5 if you have the skill) will notice that he's wearing a holy symbol of the good god named, Heironeous.  Those that make an untrained DC:15 (10 if you have the skill) Religion check knows that he's a Lawful Good god of justice, valor, chivalry, and honor. ]
Selina waits patiently as Betimi negotiates for her armor, knowing that her companion also knows that she herself is looking for more 'mundane' armor.

[Check to notice symbol: [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8]
[Check to recognize symbol: [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18]

Selina blinks, her lips parting in a smile of recognition.  She turns to the smaller being, presses her hands together in a gesture of respect, and intones "Valour unto you, friend."
Knowledge (religion untrained) [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19
Knowledge (religion untrained) [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21

OOC - oh wow... would've been nice as attack rolls or saves...

Nacesh spends a moment of assessing the 'newcomer' before turning his attention back to the spears.

"I'm not into ensorcelled ones, but a tribal spear, also called a totem spear. You have a nice selection, hoped to find one."
OOC - it's just politeness and curiousity; I don't plan on spending an exotic weapon proficiency on this weapon even if you allowed... Wink
The door to the smithy opens and a small humanoid strolls inside in a worn-out full plate. The visor is open but you could only see  his brighten brown colored slanted shaped eyes and rounded nose because every other parts are covered with black hair and fur.
He begins to casually look around and says, [[he has at least one mouth too Big Grin]]: Oh, a lot of customer. He is waiting patiently while look around, examines the armours and weapons.

(08-28-2017, 06:55 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina blinks, her lips parting in a smile of recognition.  She turns to the smaller being, presses her hands together in a gesture of respect, and intones "Valour unto you, friend."
He nods friendly and response: Honor unto you, servant of Moon. I'm Kee, my Lady. - he takes a small break and continues - You wandered so far from your roots.