RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Simon seems to be a very smart man and I'm sure he has taken your size into account.  And from my own experience, the straps on the suit are adjustable.  They likely will adjust down to your size."
Ningalu comes out from behind the barrels, his shoulders slumped. Looking dejected, but resigned to his fate. Without a peep he climbs the stairs.
Ning walks up the stairs to to deck.  He sees that his twin is kissing the ground and can assume he just finished his practice.  Simon looks over at Ning and asks, "Are you ready now?  Your brother just aced his test jump.  I'm sure you will do just as well."

[OoC: I need one Dex check and three balance check.  The DC is only 5. ]
Resigned to his fate, Ningalu allows himself to be strapped into the harness.  When he steps to the rear of the vessel it is with the trepidation of a sailor walking the plank, silent and fearful, but knowing worse fate awaits him if he turns back. Finally he steps off the end and  tries to remember all the steps as he falls.

[Dexterity [1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21; Balance1 [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19; Balance2 [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18; Balance3 [1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13]
[OoC: I will be calculating your XP soon and I won't forget the humor awards.  ;)  ]

Ning steps off the end of the ship and for a moment he begins to fall.  He instinctually grabs hold of the nav-bars to steady himself.  The device immediately tells him to deploy the chute by pulling the ripcord.  Ning does so flawlessly.  The device continues giving the kobold instructions which he follows completely allowing him a perfect flight.  When he's reeled in he has no problem hopping back on deck.

Simon raises his brows at Ning, displaying a look of slight annoyance that the kobold created such drama then completely aces the practice.  "Well, I see you're still in one piece.  You're not hurt or plummeting to your death.  Selina's mishap was simply convergence of improbabilities that would be difficult to duplicate.  I hope you now see how silly it was to worry so much."

Quote:Damage: [Total Damage TAKEN/ Max Hit Points]

Forge [7/ 37]
Kee [1/ 17]
Tomeal [13/ 48]
Simon [5/42]
Nang  [3/8]  (Ning's twin)
Ning [0/17]
Nacesh [3/21] 
Selina [17/38], Dog: [3 damage]
Betimi  [3/42]
Captain [2/41]
Guards: [Guard6: 10 damage!]; [Guard7: 7 damage!]; [Guard8: 15 Damage]; [Guard9: 13 Damage!]; Guard10: 10/20]; [Guard1: DEAD]; [Guard2: 12/20]; [Guard4: 17/20]; [Guard5: 10/20]
[OoC: Well there has been no posts so I will push on... ]

After Ningalu leaves and awkward silence fills the room.  Tomeal takes a deep breath and smiles before say, "Right, ahh... So I guess you should get back up on deck and let them know if you want to lead the guard or not.  In any case, it seemed like they are here for you more than the rest of us any.  It would cut down on any conflicting orders if you agree but it's totally up to you."  If Selina has nothing further to add, Tomeal opens the door for her and follows her up on deck with Dog running past them both.

Simon once again offers Nacesh a chance to jump.  If he refuses again, Simon asks, "Do you have some kind of magic that will save you from falling if you confuse the controls?  It would be unfortunate if something mishap were to occur.  There might not be a Tomeal close enough to grab you if you fall."
Selina smiles right back, then it falters slightly when he mentions the guards and their surprisingly sudden fealty to her.

“Honestly, I do not understand how they can be so devoted to someone who allowed their captain to die and was unable to save him.  I am only a humble cleric of the Moonmaiden and they seem so eager to make me their new captain.  And since I am currently on the subject of self-recrimination, how can I lead them when I have been outspoken about my singular desire to leave this plane and return us to our own?”

Introspection is something Selina is quite well-versed in.
Betimi's curiosity finally gets the better of her and she decides the direct approach might yield answers.

When one of the crew passes near her she stops him with a gentle gesture.  "Might I beg a question of you?"

She continues regardless of his answer.

"You and your fellows obviously have great respect and admiration for our leader. I must say we agree that she is worthy of that. But I know her, she has been my steadfast leader through several battles, and brought us through them. What I am curious about is what causes you and your fellows to respect her so, before she even demonstrated her skill and honour?"

Diplomacy [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22
"You did not allow their leader to die," Tomeal replies supportively.  "Every soldier knows that death is a real possibility.  And I think these soldiers are only looking to find someone to lead them who have proven themselves in battle.  I do not diminish any of the others for their contribution to ending our foes, everyone played their part, but it was YOU who fought that creature head on and made yourself the main target of its attacks.  That should inspire any soldier."

[Meanwhile, on deck...]

The soldier looks at Betimi curiously and says in his native New Crobuzon dialect of Ragamoll, "I'm not sure what business it is of yours.  But since you asked politely I will share what I'm able.  It has nothing really to do with respect, though we do find her a capable leader of your group and someone who fought extremely well.  Any of us would be proud to follow her even if we weren't following orders to do so.  In any case, it wouldn't make much sense to follow you when you've admitted that Selina is your leader.  It would only cause undue confusion."
“And my stated desire to leave this plane?  How can they follow someone who is not physically there for them?”