RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[OoC does this mean we idly watch while Selina jumps, trips, tangles in the rope, fails to pop the chute, fails to pop the reserve chute, hits the end of the rope at terminal velocity and gets ripped in half, before both halves tumble into a mountainside below?] I think half the crew just threw up]
(02-28-2019, 03:24 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina wordlessly steps up and begins donning the gear, uncertain about how successful she might be with this...contraption.

Dex: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5, Balance: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2, Balance: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2, Balance: [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7

[[OoC: Well That went well...]]

[ Undecided ]

(02-28-2019, 09:15 PM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ][OoC does this mean we idly watch while Selina jumps, trips, tangles in the rope, fails to pop the chute, fails to pop the reserve chute, hits the end of the rope at terminal velocity and gets ripped in half, before both halves tumble into a mountainside below?]     I think half the crew just threw up]

[OoC: Well I didn't think that scenario would be possible but count on the players to prove a DM wrong every time!  Tongue  ]

When Selina volunteers one the the guards say, "Do you really think that's necessary?  Can't you simply watch from the ship?"

Simon firmly rejects the idea.  "Watching will not give her the proper experience!!" (Practicing will give everyone a bonus when they do the jump for real)  Without further delay, Simon assists Selina in securing her suit.  The guards look nervously at one another.

Selina sits on the stern of the ship and takes a deep breath.  Then just as she is about to jump a gale force gust of wind blows her off the ship.  Selina fumbles with the cord to deploy the chute causing the mates holding the safety tether to be lurched forward and dragged several feet.  They scramble to their feet and just manage to secure their footing when Selina finally pulls the cord.  The chute blossoms open but startles the priest when it jerks as it catches the wind causing her to scream.  

Simon screams, "Grab the handles!!"  

Selina, who's still panicking, clumsily fumbles both control handles!  Simon had heard of 'train wrecks' but never in his life did he think he'd see one happen before his eyes.  And what they say is correct.  It is hard to look away.  He continues to try to calmly shout commands as Selina screams for her life.  

Suddenly, when everyone thinks it couldn't get worse, several flying creatures dart up from under the ship.  They quickly fly over, under and around the ship laughing gleefully at Selina's plight.  The creatures are about 4' tall with pale white skin.  Impish in appearance, their wings sprout from their upper torsos while whirlwinds are where one would expect their legs to be.  

"DIE! DIE! TEE HEE!!  DIE!" They all gleefully screech as suddenly two of the group break away to fly above Selina and begin tugging on the the parachute, apparently trying to tear the fabric!

[Roll Initiatives!!! ]
Init: [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8

[[Selina screams “I REGRET NOTHING!”]]
(02-28-2019, 09:15 PM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ][OoC does this mean we idly watch while Selina jumps, trips, tangles in the rope, fails to pop the chute, fails to pop the reserve chute, hits the end of the rope at terminal velocity and gets ripped in half, before both halves tumble into a mountainside below?]     I think half the crew just threw up]
Quote:[[Selina screams “I REGRET NOTHING!”]]

[OoC: I have to say you both gave me quite a laugh.  Expect a bit of bonus xp for making the GM, LMAO!!!  Tongue  ]

[OoC2: While I'm at work I'm just going to use my own dice to roll initiatives and for the first few attack rolls.  It's quicker and easier for me. ]

Initiatives:

25 Creatures Dodgy  [They have a huge initiative bonus.]
23 Forge
15 Kee
14 Tomeal
12 Betimi
11 Ning
10 Guards and Sailors
8  Selina
7 Nang (Ning's twin)
5 Nacesh

[OoC: I will need to remind myself how to create a new battle map on Roll20.  It shouldn't take long.  It's the expanding of the area around the ship to allow space for creatures that can fly, that's going to be the annoying part.] 

The creatures are laughing and flying around the ship at incredible speeds (perfect maneuverability).  One of the creatures yells something, his voice sounds like howl of wind.  [If any of you know Auran, you can translate]  They all twirl in the air and suddenly their bodies begin shifting and distorting.  [Spell craft checks]

Forge uses a move action to retrieve a javelin and hurls it at one of the creatures that were attacking the parachute but he misses. [Rolled a 6 Sad ]

Kee then attacks.  He pulls out a stone from his bag then and then fires a shot from his sling.  Despite the distortion the stone strikes one of the creatures hard.  [Rolled 18; Damage 6! ]  The imp screams in pain.

Tomeal, who still happens to be attached to his parachute [because the DM forgot to say he took it off], tosses his rope at the guards who are still freaking out about what's happening to Selina.  "Hold this!"   They do so and Tomeal runs and leaps off the back of the ship!  He simultaneously grabs Selina by the waist and pulls the ripcord.  When the parachute catches the wind, their bodies are ragdolled for a second.  "Pull us up!" Tomeal yells to the guards which they immediately begin doing.  Then to Selina he asks, "Are you ok?"  

[I've already made Tomeal's 4 rolls to fly the parachute.  I will link them when I get home.  FYI: the DC you needed was 5 so it was very difficult to fail unless of course you roll multiple ones.   Confused  ] 

Everyone else's turn!!
Ooc -rofl Betimi well played Smile
Ooc2 - not that it matters but...-

Even before Selina's stint, even before Betimi's excellence, the spearman didn't find the idea of practice entertaining. He'd decided not to risk his life before the real jump.

And now, all these inner plane cretins! Nacesh scrambled to pull the necessary trick from his bag. A drop of water from the rim of a tiny flask, and-

"Cry'o'tears!" He muttered with grim determination, aiming at the nearest foe having no or minimal cover.

Ooc - ice dagger, close range 35 ft, ranged touch splash

ice dagger [1d20+6] = 16+6 = 22 damage: [4d4+4] = 8+4 = 12 splash 1hp
EDIT: -1 attack = AC 21. Calculated 4th level BAB advancement twice.
spellcraft [1d20+9] = 20+9 = 29
Nacesh immediately recognises the transmutation effect, and if it would reveal to him something like "hey these are immune to cold now" then he would choose a different spell. Probably magic missile.
(03-09-2019, 07:59 PM)Nacesh Wrote: [ -> ]spellcraft [1d20+9] = 20+9 = 29
Nacesh immediately recognises the transmutation effect, and if it would reveal to him something like "hey these are immune to cold now" then he would choose a different spell. Probably magic missile.

[OoC: They all cast blur.]
Betimi cannot figure out what these strange creatures are up to.  
[Spellcraft (unskilled) [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13]

But she knows they are hostile.

Already at the railing watching Selina and Tomreal, betimi readies her bow and nocks an arrow.

But she does not fire right away.  She waits

[Readied action]
As soon as two of the creatures pass close to each other [adjacent] she looses her arrow.

[Ricochet Attack (longbow) [1d20+8] = 16+8 = 24; Damage 1st opponent [1d8] = 5; Damage 2nd opponent [1d8] = 1]

Satisfied that she at leats may have gotten their attention off Sekina and Timreal, she nocks another arrow.

Quote:Ricochet: As a standard action, you can make a single ranged attack against two adjacent targets. Make a single attack roll and apply that result to the Armor Class of both targets. Any hit you score deals damage to the target normally. Extra damage from abilities such as sneak attack or sudden strike apply to only one target, which you must designate prior to making the attack roll.