RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Perception Checks for everyone!]  [Ooops!  I mean Spot checks for everyone!]

Concerned that the weather might get worse, Simon doesn't hesitate to accept Betimi's offer to go first.  He assists her with putting on her backpack and once it's secure he attaches the two navigating bars to the top of the pack and position one over each of her shoulders.  Both bars curve downward over the chest and then the end of each bar curves upward into a pair of handles with a thumb button on top.  

"Everything feel snug?" Simon asks.

[It does...]

"Good.  Now lets attach the rope to your chest harness."  Waving to one of the sailors he says, "Bring the rope.  Tie it tight with your best knot!  We don't want the lady to have any accidents."

While the tether is being prepared Simon shows everyone how the contraption works.  At what point to release the parachute and how the navigating buttons on the end of the bars work.  He also shows everyone where the cord is located for the emergency shoot.  He warns that if the emergency shoot is deployed they will not be able to use the navigating bars to control their descent.  They will have to rely upon steering lines which which are far less precise that change the shape of the wing, causing it to turn or to increase or decrease its rate of descent.

Once Betimi feels she is ready, Simon has her sit at the stern (back) of the boat.

"I would ask you if you're sure of this but I guess if back out now we might as well turn back to New Crobuzon.  Which I might add is still an option..."

Assuming Betimi is ready, Simon gives Betimi a supportive smile and says, "When you're ready, jump.  Then quickly count to three and pull that cord.  The parachute will deploy and then grab hold of the handles of the navigating bars.  Push the buttons and begin gently moving the bars back and forth to get use to the steering.  Got it?"

[OoC2: I will need one dex check and three balance checks. ]
(02-27-2019, 07:12 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]While sipping a steaming cup of coffee, Simon looks back and forth at each one of you and nods sagely while you discuss the situation.  Noticing a lull in conversation Simon says, "So, are we doing this?  We are doing this right?  Jumping out of the ship over the mountains?  You are far braver than I my friends."  Assuming there is no objection, Simon finishes the last of his coffee with one big gulp and the begins preparing the packs of parachutes.  

"I assume you want to do this one or two at a time?  Any more might cause the tethers to tangle.  That would be quite the mess indeed!" 

After about 10 minutes the packs are organized and each of you are given one of them to strap on your backs.  "Ok, who's first?"

"Green mother not give wings.. me not meant to fly." comes a meek voice from the ropes and barrels stacked near the mast.. as far from the railing as is physically possible.
(02-28-2019, 03:20 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][Perception Checks for everyone!]

[ooC: Do you mean Spot or Listen?  This is 3.5 not Pathfinder  :Tongue 

Listen [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18; Spot [1d20+5] = 13+5 = 18

[OoC2 so awesome.. looks like it doesn't matter for Eek which you mean]
(02-28-2019, 04:16 AM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2019, 03:20 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][Perception Checks for everyone!]

[ooC: Do you mean Spot or Listen?  This is 3.5 not Pathfinder  :Tongue 

Listen [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18; Spot [1d20+5] = 13+5 = 18

[OoC2 so awesome.. looks like it doesn't matter for Eek which you mean]

[OoC: Oops, sorry.  I mean Spot check.  Edited my previous post. ]
Betimi seems to be hyper aware in her adrenaline filled state of excitement.
Listen or Spot [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 same modifier either way

She barely lets Simon finishes his directions before she stands up and gracefully  swan dives into thin air.

Dexterity [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19; Balance1 [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16; Balance 2 [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16; Balance3 [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11
(02-28-2019, 04:23 AM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ]Betimi seems to be hyper aware in her adrenaline filled state of excitement.
Listen or Spot [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 same modifier either way

She barely lets Simon finishes his directions before she stands up and gracefully  swan dives into thin air.

Dexterity [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19; Balance1 [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16; Balance 2 [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16; Balance3 [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11

Simon watches Betimi launch herself off the stern of the ship.  The speed of her jump startles him causing him to lunge toward her to catch the woman but his arms only manage to catch air.  Missing her completely unbalances the man causing him to barely catch himself from falling over the stern.  The parachute then suddenly opens without a hitch.  Simon carefully watches Betimi's every move as she gracefully -- actually making it seem almost too easy -- guides the chute from side to side.  He claps joyfully at her success and after about 10 minutes of practice the mates pull in the rope allowing her to effortlessly pull herself back on deck.

"AMAZING!  You did amazing!!  You are truly a remarkable woman!"

After assisting with taking off the 35 pounds of gear, Simon turns to the rest of the group and says, "See, that wasn't so difficult.  So, who's next!"

[OoC: Everyone who wants to practice can make the same checks as Betimi. One Dex check and Three balance checks.

I edited the last xp post and added 300xp to Betimi for Parachute Practice.]
After watching Betimi's graceful performance Eek goes back to the mast, and firmly ties himself to it. "Me good here."

[OoC kobolds survive by being like gophers, they heed warnings and hide as soon as there is trouble. Skittish is not just a personality trait, but ingrained into their psyche]
(02-28-2019, 05:17 AM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]After watching Betimi's graceful performance Eek goes back to the mast, and firmly ties himself to it. "Me good here."

[OoC kobolds survive by being like gophers, they heed warnings and hide as soon as there is trouble. Skittish is not just a personality trait, but ingrained into their psyche]

"You really should practice," Simon says to Ningalu. "If you don't, you could find yourself without the experience to save you if something happens."

Tomeal says, "I will go next.  And if I'm successful, he can be secured to me and my para... para-whatchamacallit."

[Results: Dexerity Check: 20; Balance 1: 17; Balance 2: 17; Balance 3: 12; He got exactly 1pt more than Betimi for each check.  Tongue ]

Tomeal makes the exercise look even easier than Betimi.  The usually quiet and stoic man can't help but HOOT with exhilaration!  [But it's a manly hoot.   Tongue ]  

He's soon dragged back aboard the ship.  He's all smiles until he locks his gaze with the group which causes him to school his expression once more.  "It was satisfactory."

Simon smiles and asks, "Who's next?"
Betimi looks at the others.  "I can go again if you need to see it repeated to gain confidence?"
Selina wordlessly steps up and begins donning the gear, uncertain about how successful she might be with this...contraption.

Dex: [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5, Balance: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2, Balance: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2, Balance: [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7

[[OoC: Well That went well...]]