RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Don't think we've used much in the way of resources yet. How are the spellcasters feeling?   We are going to identify some of these items first."
“I do believe I still have something left.  I will only accept the half-plate if you refuse, Tomeal.  My full plate is quite satisfactory and this weapon is magnificent.  I do not believe hoarding all the useful items to one or two individuals would be a very sound move at all.”
Ning/Nang looks at Simon  "Maybe you should use the identify wand, you will resist the Torque more strongly than I"

Quote:Identified so far
  • Half-Plate +2   - vote that this goes to Selina since Tomreal wants the lighter armoyr

Next to Identify:
  • Elven Chain
  • composite longbow (Str+4)
  • light crossbow
  • longsword
After we identify these, we can decide to identify more or move on.
[[OoC: Bee tee double-yoo, half-plate is actually *considerably* worse than full-plate, and not just in terms of Armor bonus. It offers nothing in the way of a dex bonus (so her total AC with the +2 Half-plate will stay the same and her touch AC will get even worse), a worse ACP, and weighs the same. Best thing to do would be to find someone who can strip the +2 off of the Half-plate and put it on Selina's Full-plate.]]
Wow it is worse.. remember though that all magical armour is also Masterwork. so the armour check penalty becomes -6 instead of -7. But the 0 dex bonus means it is just the same as your full plate.

Guess we hang on to it until we can transfer enchantment.
[[Right, but just to get to that break-even point, that half-plate requires the magic enhancement. Imagine how boss Selina will be when we can transfer the +2 to her full plate.]]
(08-28-2020, 08:02 PM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ]Ning/Nang looks at Simon  "Maybe you should use the identify wand, you will resist the Torque more strongly than I"

Quote:Identified so far
  • Half-Plate +2   - vote that this goes to Selina since Tomreal wants the lighter armoyr

Next to Identify:
  • Elven Chain
  • composite longbow (Str+4)
  • light crossbow
  • longsword
After we identify these, we can decide to identify more or move on.

"That would be true if I were using my, no offense, superior experience and skills.  But we're using a the Wand (CL5) power level to resist.  However you are correct that if there is a mishap then I'm more likely to survive but only if the effect allows me to resist.  I could be turned to goo as easily as you if the effect is irresistible."

"So I can do it but it will require another charge from the wand.  I believe you still have duration remaining on you Torque resistance."
[Ooc oh the wand has a duration,  thought it was one use.. kk]

Elven Chain
Nang - Torque check [1d20+7] = 7+7 = 14 [OoC it could be argue  that Simon with his being 7th level is a slikely to succeed without the wand as  Nang is with it.. and has a +12 with the wand]
(09-01-2020, 05:10 PM)Ningalu Baal\urki Wrote: [ -> ][Ooc oh the wand has a duration,  thought it was one use.. kk]

Elven Chain
Nang - Torque check [1d20+7] = 7+7 = 14 [OoC it could be argue  that Simon with his being 7th level is a likely to succeed without the wand as  Nang is with it.. and has a +12 with the wand]

[OoC: The Torque wand lasts for 5 minutes. ]

[OoC2: I had forgotten that Identify Spell takes an HOUR to cast.  Confused ]

[OoC3: I'm a DM that really hates all the time spent (even before learning it takes an HOUR to cast) identifying magic items.  I think it's unnecessary and as this has shown, it makes the game lag.  It's why I really prefer Artificer's Monacales.  If I want a Magic Item to be mysterious, then the spell just doesn't work.  After all, it is only a 1st level spell. So until further notice, I'm just going to use the Pathfinder Identify Spell and update the Spellcraft rules.  So when casting Identify it gives you a +10 on spellcraft checks to identify magic items.

[OoC: The Torque Wand AND the Wand of Identify are both CL5!  This means:
  1. When protected by the Torque Wand the person using the Wand of identify rolls (1d20+10) to resist Torque.  The DC is 15 + Spell level
  2. The Wand of Identify lasts for 3 rounds per level (See the PF identify Spell)so you can Identify 5 items per casting.  The DC is 15 + Level of the item 
Any questions? ]

Identify
Quote:School divination; Level alchemist 1, bard 1, sorcerer/wizard 1; Domain magic 1; Bloodline Arcana

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (wine stirred with an owl’s feather)

Range 60 ft.
Area cone-shaped emanation
Duration 3 rounds/level (D)
Saving Throw: none; Spell Resistance: no

This spell functions as detect magic, except that it gives you a +10 enhancement bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify the properties and command words of magic items in your possession. This spell does not allow you to identify artifacts.
Spell Craft
Quote:Determine Properties of Magic Item:  [Identify the properties of a magic item using detect magic | 15 + item’s caster level]

Attempting to ascertain the properties of a magic item takes 3 rounds per item to be identified and you must be able to thoroughly examine the object.

Retry? When using detect magic or identify to learn the properties of magic items, you can only attempt to ascertain the properties of an individual item once per day. Additional attempts reveal the same results.

[So...]

Betimi uses the wand of Identify [Roll = 7 +10; Success].  She can now make 5 Spellcraft checks with +10 to Identify 5 items.  [Please make your rolls]