RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Betimi relaxes when she sees Simon, realizing that there is not some threat waiting on deck, attacking the vessel. She  quickly grabs her gear, then waits for the others.

"Breakfast will be delightful Sir Simon. "
Nacesh nods,
"Thank you for the invitation, master. Give us a few minutes to recover from the heart attack and dress ourselves in a suitable manner."

(...)

Once the man feels sufficiently equipped, including his trinkets but excluding the bulkier part of his pack and also leaving the spear behind, he joins the others for breakfast and briefing.
(01-09-2019, 07:14 PM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ]Betimi, still sickly looking and covered in puss-filled sores, ...

OOC - puss-filled? Sick Smile  (seriously though I guess you meant pus-filled?)
Selina awakens and nods in response to Simon's greeting.  She collects her armor and requests Forge's assistance in donning it.  Better to be prepared for whatever comes.  She makes her way to the deck and joins everyone else for breakfast, full of divine understanding and awaiting the next task.  "Are there more energy readings than before?  Are these readings stronger?"

[[OOC: What were the spells we wanted to make sure she had prepared?]]
[OoC: Sorry for the late reply.  It hasn't been a very good couple of weeks.   Confused  ]

(01-27-2019, 05:48 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina awakens and nods in response to Simon's greeting.  She collects her armor and requests Forge's assistance in donning it.  Better to be prepared for whatever comes.  She makes her way to the deck and joins everyone else for breakfast, full of divine understanding and awaiting the next task.  "Are there more energy readings than before?  Are these readings stronger?"

[[OOC: What were the spells we wanted to make sure she had prepared?]]

[OoC: Simon says, his friend suggests spells which offer Protection from Chaos would bestow some measure of defense against the Torque's chaotic properties.  I would also like to point out that I believe spellcasters can use higher level spell slots to memorize (or cast, in the case of spontaneous casters) lower level spells. ]

Forge assists Selina with her armor and when fully donned she joins the others on the deck above.  The guard who had been waiting outside the door follows Selina, careful not to hover too close that would breech her personal space.

The weather is quite chilly and windy when compared to the day before with the sun offering little to warm your skin.  You guess it must be close to 4°C (40°F) with gusts capable of possibly even extinguishing open flame.  Everyone wears thick wool robes or cloaks to guard against the bite of the cold and as each of you climb the stairs you're offered one too.

"Fine dawning," Simon says cheerfully.  "Thank you for joining me.  The weather is not cooperating but you could face much worse the day after next.  Feel free to pick from the dried fruits and dried pork.  Or if you prefer something a little more bland in the morning, there are some rations to choose from as well.  The captain has graciously brought with us some tea and coffee to help warm your insides while I explain how the technology works."

[OoC2:  Keep in mind that no one has yet chosen a full or pidgin language so it it's not easy to understand anyone other than Simon.]

Once everyone has chosen what they want from the offered breakfast items Simon gets down to explaining how the parachutes work.  The technology itself seemed simple enough.  In fact it practically ran itself.  It only required a small amount of agility to overcome unexpected weather fluctuations especially in a region already prone to chaos.  

"While you're falling the tech will display when to deploy the chute.  Then while holding onto the two handles which hang from above, you use your thumbs to push these two buttons at the same time.  The parachute will then deploy.  Once you begin slowly descending the helmet will display a target that is already programmed inside.  This is the landing point where you must guide the chute.  You do this by adjusting the chutes pitch and angle of descent with the two handles.  The tech can counter minor fluctuations in the air currents but anything greater must be dealt with manually by you."

Simon then gives all of you a chance to wear the equipment and get a feel for the thumb buttons on the guiding handles as well as how the same handles adjust the apparatus's pitch and angle. 

"Questions?" Simon asks.  "If you feel you need practice we can do so by having you jump from the ship while tethered then pull you back once you are sufficiently familiar with the controls.  But truthfully I have faith this is not beyond your abilities." 
"I think we should all practice."

Betimi looks at Selina for confirmation.
Selina has a suspicion, and schools her face to be passive and neutral as Betimi presents her suggestion.  She nods once briefly, then turns back to Simon.

"I noticed that you did not answer my questions.  Either of them.  Unintentional oversight?"

[[Selina only has 3 level 1 slots. :| ]]
[OoC: Crap!  I really did intent for Simon to reply to you.  I answered the second part but the first part slipped my mind.   Confused ]

Simon replies to Selina, "There are no new energy readings but the readings we detected before are growing in strength.  I really don't have the faintest idea what could be generating these readings.  If I'm not mistaken this energy seems to be reacting with the Torque.  I will need to study the readings more to learn how and why this is happening.  And what this means for our mission."
Nacesh wrinkles his nose at the sight of the convoluted contraption.

"Way too complex if you compare to Feather Fall. But then again, I'm guessing this chaotic emanation has smaller impact on anything mechanical than anything magical."

Upon Betimi's suggestion to... um... practice, he raises his eyebrows, amused.

"You want to practice jumping off the ship?"

((OOC - I really can't interpret "practice" in paragliding any other way... unless there's a simulator of some kind. Maybe a special version of Phantasmal Force or Dream... Play pretend that the first one exists in 3E Smile ))
(02-08-2019, 09:18 AM)Nacesh Wrote: [ -> ]Nacesh wrinkles his nose at the sight of the convoluted contraption.

"Way too complex if you compare to Feather Fall. But then again, I'm guessing this chaotic emanation has smaller impact on anything mechanical than anything magical."

Upon Betimi's suggestion to... um... practice, he raises his eyebrows, amused.

"You want to practice jumping off the ship?"

((OOC - I really can't interpret "practice" in paragliding any other way... unless there's a simulator of some kind. Maybe a special version of Phantasmal Force or Dream... Play pretend that the first one exists in 3E Smile ))

"Yes.  These mechanical devices do not have even a mote of magical energy within them.  So they shouldn't transform into a land shark or something even more gruesome while attached to you during your controlled fall."

When Nacesh asks Betimi about the 'practice', Simon interrupts, "That is exactly what it means.  Not something I would choose to do over a mountain range but it's certainly possible.  Of course you couldn't practice landing; just the falling and controlling the descent.  But the landing is usually the worst part anyways."