RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-05-2017, 11:51 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]Selina suddenly looks puzzled, eyes crossing at the sudden exchange.   This was a power struggle of some kind with a Devil.  Of that much she was certain.  Devil, while equally Evil to Demons, also possessed a set of "rules" of some kind.  They were often cryptic and twisted, but they were there unlike their Abyssal cousins.  Here the Magistrate was enforcing such rules without her knowledge.  What in the world did 'Seven words, inverted' mean?  She turns to Betimi, showing her clear bafflement and uncertainty.

((...not quite finished yet.))

[OoC: The seven words inverted was what the Magestrate mumbled was a silly game.  So the Magistrate said, "World there about information for them pardon?"

When inverted he really said...

"Pardon them for information about their world?"

The ambassador replied, "Yes."

Now you just have to provide how much information you want to give him but you don't have to invert your words because your aren't asking him a question.]
(12-06-2017, 01:57 AM)Forge Wrote: [ -> ]Ooc - !devils evil these with 5th the Plead

Tongue
((OOC: Right, I know that's what it is, but if Selina knew what I know automatically, that might potentially constitute meta-gaming, which I avoid like The Plague.))
(12-06-2017, 02:13 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ]((OOC: Right, I know that's what it is, but if Selina knew what I know automatically, that might potentially constitute meta-gaming, which I avoid like The Plague.))

Ok, good.  I just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page.   Smile
(12-05-2017, 10:42 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]"It is Melluary, Magistrate," it explained simply.  "Usual rules of Melluary.  Seven words, inverted."

[OoC: I forgot to mention that with her Knowledge Local, Betimi knows that "Melluary" is one of the 12 months of the year.  She believes Melluary would be equivalent to one of the Spring time months in your world.  This world also has 7 days of the week.  ]
Nacesh watches the conversation silently, eyes narrowed.
So the Remaking is enforced by some underworldly pact as a payment for their services. They are in a bigger trouble than us. he thinks.

OOC - Nacesh won't speak up without knowing the consequences of speaking up in the first place (and that would be a question, even if only to the magistrate) but Selina probably possesses the wisdom of realising what's expected of her. This is a tricky game of making your bets without knowing what happens if your bet is too low but you certainly don't want to place your bets too high. I can see two ways for Selina to proceed, possibly based on her wisdom check:
A) offer the ambassador to ask questions. Dangerous as it may be overly sensitive and we don't know what happens if we don't provide an "appropriate" answer to his questions. Like, the true names of some people of power so that they could somehow move into a city major's body or such.
B) proactively offer some piece of information that is hopefully junk for the ambassador... like, the names of gods and their holy symbols. Geographical information. How to make poppy seeds tagliatelle properly. and cross fingers that he won't harvest our souls in exchange.
((...before I got buried by a deluge of OOC posts))
Selina suddenly looks puzzled, eyes crossing at the sudden exchange.   This was a power struggle of some kind with a Devil.  Of that much she was certain.  Devils, while equally Evil to Demons, also possessed a set of "rules" of some kind.  They were often cryptic and twisted, but they were there unlike their Abyssal cousins.  Here the Ambassador was enforcing such rules without her knowledge.  What in the world did 'Seven words, inverted' mean?  She turns to Betimi, showing her clear bafflement and uncertainty.

Then, as she listens, it sort of dawns on her.   The Magistrate mentions that this is a game, one the Devil is common to play in this particular month, and that it involves control of speech.  All questions would have to be seven words long and inverted in form.  What would happen if they were not?  Selina pushes that question aside as unimportant for the moment.  Two can play this game...

"Sssouls our cost also given information would?"
When  Selina looks to Betimi, Betimi merely shrugs her equal bafflement. This is not a pulpit, or an invitation to speak, so Naberius seems to be content for the moment. Betimi hopes the vestige remains that way for the time being, the merest invitation to speak could spell disaster.

Meeting Selina's gaze she points at the Magistrate then holds up three fingers, hoping Selina understands her meaning as she first lowers one then then the second finger, leaving one finger held up.

Knowing that conversation not directed at the devil should be safe, she carefully conveys her meaning. "The Magistrate is not done."
Selina gives Betimi a diffident look as she responds directly to Betimi (so as not to involve either of the untrustworthy elements within this room) “I am quite certain this ‘ambassador’ is fully capable of hearing, understanding, and responding to more than one inquiry at a time.”

More to the point, the subject of Selina’s question was foremost on her mind.  She was not about to sacrifice her soul or those of her allies for something as trivial as being let out of punishment.
"Are you offering," the Daemon replies with a smile.

The Magistrate quickly replies, "No!"

Still grinning.  "You are not the Priest's keeper, Magistrate.  It's her's to bargain with, not yours."

Leaning toward your group the Magistrate whispers, "Inquiring about the rules of the bargain does not have to be inverted; nor do your replies to his questions; the information you give him about your world; or further bargains and propositions.  Only the actual request for information need to be inverted.  And to answer your question, no, your soul is currently not being bartered.  For reasons of my own I have gifted you all with a question owed to me by the ambassador.  Unfortunately I thought there would be an exchange of greetings before you made a request.  That was completely my error that cost me a question.  It is better to lose the question then endure the alternative.  So I now have one question left."

The ambassador tilts his head slightly, waiting patiently for Selina's answer.