RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[[Not currently looking for more clues. I'm thinking about it, but I want those two to have their chance to speak.]]
Kubo failed his check, do any of his dwarven racial skills help here, he will study the lock to see if he can determine anything about its mechanism, (ie. Mechanical or arcane nature) perhaps he can craft a stone key.
(02-17-2022, 03:29 AM)Kubo Wrote: [ -> ]Kubo failed his check, do any of his dwarven racial skills help here, he will study the lock to see if he can determine anything about its mechanism, (ie. Mechanical or arcane nature) perhaps he can craft a stone key.

You can't see any internal mechanism and Detect Magic has revealed the magic runes.  Selina believes you don't need a real key.  The Keyhole in the door is just symbolic.
Crozar says, "If the key is symbolic and opens with knowledge, the most powerful knowledge is that of magic.  I could throw a weak lightning spell to see if lightning is the key when it was the defense as well.  What do you all think?"
Selina shakes her head.  "I do not believe that attacking the gate will open it.  Magic is also problematic in this land due to the Torque and its chaotic effects."
Arcane things are not in Kubo's boathouse at all
Not sure how Kubo can help right now?
(02-17-2022, 01:52 PM)Kubo Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how Kubo can help right now?

[OoC: I would not have created a riddle that only one person could solve.  Everything you need to solve this is solvable by anyone in the party.  You don't need a magic spell or a weapon to hack the door down.  You just need to remember that this is riddle so you just have to figure out what the riddle is talking about.  For example...

Thirty white horses on a red hill
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still.

What's the answer?  Teeth!  

No magic or weapon required.
[[First we need to figure out the riddle itself...unless I missed something and it was already revealed.

This thing all things devours
Birds, Beasts, Trees, Flowers
Gnaws iron, bites steel
Grinds hard stones to meal
Slays king, ruins town
Beats high mountains down.

Bilbo got freaking lucky.]]
(02-17-2022, 03:48 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ][[First we need to figure out the riddle itself...unless I missed something and it was already revealed.

This thing all things devours
Birds, Beasts, Trees, Flowers
Gnaws iron, bites steel
Grinds hard stones to meal
Slays king, ruins town
Beats high mountains down.

Bilbo got freaking lucky.]]

[[I personally hate riddles and I rarely use them.  When I do I always let players make some dice rolls for some clues because most players just don't have a Int/Wis 20 in real life.  But I have to also be careful that I don't give too much away.  As soon as one of you asks for their clue or asks for a clue of an NPC, I will give it to you.]]

[[The riddle itself is: 

"Knowledge is your key."  

Nothing else has been revealed.  I think you guys might be thinking too hard.  I would start by throwing thoughts out there.  Don't be afraid to say something.  Something you say might be correct or lead someone else to the correct answer.]