RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"My apologies if I offend, but the gods of my former masters are not ones to request favour from, I will instead pray that we do not attract their attention."
"Green Mother will protect us, she is glorious in flight so long journey in air she will favor.:
(12-20-2018, 07:14 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]Simon replies, "I will write a letter and send it off to my friend immediately.  He will hopefully be able to make contact you by the time you return."

[Since hardly anyone is posting I'm going to push this forward...]

Tomeal suggests to everyone that they should get some sleep before leaving.  Assuming you all take him up on his suggestion, the hours pass quickly and soon you're awakened by Forge.  You all have a quick snack before leave.  When it's time to leave, you gather your things and head out the door.  The night is warm and humid.  The smog creates a haze that blocks out the stars and most of the moon light.  Lanterns line the streets offering you all dim light to make your way to the militia tower.  The streets are still fairly active except most of the vendors have been replaced by harlots and hustlers, most of which are Xenians (nonhumans), beckoning to you to sample their many skills.

After a quick 10 minute walk, you find yourselves at the tower.  You ascend the metal spiral staircase that's bolted to the outside of the spire.  By the time you reach the top, the wind has picked up, forcing you all to cling tightly to the rails.  The airship is waiting for you and you're quickly ushered abort.

"Welcome sailors," says a the man waiting for you as you step onto the ship.  "I hope you've said your prayers tonight.  This could be a rough voyage."  

[[Sorry.  Been going through a lot with work and class and the new boy.  I'll try to catch up.]]

Selina makes sure to take a watch with Forge close to nightfall, as she must pray to Selune by moonlight for guidance.  Her day had been quite hectic, and had resulted in near-death or mutilation on more than one occasion.  She was also not becoming any more comfortable with travelling the planes.  Once done, she quickly lapses into a meditative slumber, a gentle smile on her face...

Upon being awakened, she smiles and nods to Forge, requesting his assistance in donning her armor when he has finished arousing everyone.  Stretching and taking a small snack, she spends some more time bonding with the wolfhound who had followed them practically everywhere.  Truly, things were not so bad.  With such companions, she could probably manage this planar travel thing...probably.

When they arrive at the tower and ascend, the blessing of the captain is received with a solemn and grateful nod.  "Yes, indeed.  May the Moon guide our path into safety and truth."
The 75'-80' airship has a large balloon floating well above the main deck that's chained to the hull of the ship but otherwise it looks like a typical sailing vessel.  The captain explains, "The master didn't want any large propellers or fancy new engines because they could attract enemies with their noise or pirates looking for their technology.  So what the airship lacked in bells and whistles, it makes up for in inconspicuousness and toughness.  This old girl won't go down without a fight."

Once released from the spire, the airship groans as it slowly turns away to set a course away from the city.  You spot a train giving a hoot of warning before slowing to a stop in a large area of colored lights.  You marvel at the enormous wheel that was slowly spinning in place that seemed to carry passengers along it's edge.  Faint excited screams are heard from the area.  

"It's the carnival," the captain yells to all of you.  "One of the few times of year that hearing screams coming from the city is not a bad thing."  

When the ship's coordinates have been set and double checked, the captain gives you all a quick tour of the ship.  He gives you the room on the second level at the bow (front) of the ship.  There are 4 hammocks alone the far wall as well as a large 5x5 table in the center.  More sleeping bags or cots will be brought in as needed. 

[Image: a7ca84483de1a68d6397daf370b7a9b5.jpg] 
OOC -- I'll try to stay around and post once or twice a week.

"Wise. Better make it to our destination in one piece later than in several pieces sooner." Nacesh notes, sending a friendly smile towards the captain.

He takes a convenient walk around the ship, taking extra care of the ballistas positioned at the helm.
"Hope it has enough power to pierce whatever comes, without risking our own balance while airborne."

Apparently, the spearman seems to have some ideas about aerial combat, even though most of it may be theoretical. Must have something to do with his fascination towards dragonkind.
While touring the ship, you all notice there are about 30 crewmen as well as 15 guards.  They are broken up into three shifts of 10 crewmen and 5 guards with one of those guards always accompanying you.

"You are very lucky," the Captain says while showing you all around. "This ship is one of the fastest in the country.  We should be able to cut at least a day off our journey.  But you should all get some sleep.  It will be morning in a handful of hours and you want to be well rested for the day to come."

If you take his advise, you rest well and are surprisingly refreshed.  If you don't, the hours pass slowly and you eventually fight to stay awake.  [Except for Forge, of course]

The airship shoots through the sky at a brisk 300 miles per day.  Below you is what is described as the, Dancing Shoe Mountains.  They span over a thousand miles from east to west and then hook southward for another 1000+ miles.  To the south of the ship, beyond the mountains is where the Cacotopic Stain is located.  From this distance, during the day all you can see is mostly flat plains.  At night you occasionally spot flashes of colored light which are quickly swallowed up by the dark emptiness of the Stain.  

There's a sudden bang on your cabin door.  The light from a porthole on either side of the cabin tell you it's day time.
"We'll see if being fast or being unnoticed is of greater importance," the spearman notes with a mischievous smile.

(...)

Upon the banging sound, Nacesh hops up and grabs whatever's nearby--backpack and spear, most likely, and sends a mental note of urgency to Mil. As a response, the lizard peeks his diminutive head from behind a crate, then scurries towards the spearman, up on his left leg, and into his shirt through the sleeve, since his master seems not to wear his usual cape right now. Nacesh giggles nervously as the tickling feet find their way to his shoulder, then moves in a few long strides to answer the door. Hesitating, he looks around where all the armored people are. Including Selina, Tomeal, Kee, and never-sleeping Forge in particular. He seems to be the only one reliably to be found full clad into metal regardless of time of day.
Betimi, still sickly looking and covered in puss-filled sores, nevertheless gets up with her alien grace, still clad in the black chitinous armour that  was once the carapace of Unreth. she grabs her longbow and quiver, then her light mace as an afterthought before heading towards the door, expecting trouble top-side
Ningalu  takes the opportunity to hide somewhere near the door.. under the table perhaps.

(Hide+17)
While the Kobold dives under the table, vanishing from site, the others will be slowly waking up.  When Nacesh answers the door he sees Simon and spots a guard who has apparently been standing by their cabin door all night.  The watch seems to crane his neck to look over Simon's and the Sorcerer's shoulders into the room but it's still fairly dim inside so Nacesh doesn't think he got a good look at anything or anyone.

"Good day," Simon says cheerfully.  "I would like to invite you all for breakfast on deck so we can enjoy the beautiful weather and go over some of the equipment we will be using to descend into the area where the strange energy readings are coming from."