RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"So that means if we want to go home this might be our only chance," Piper says quietly.  

Jonath, who has been too obsessed studying the sheens to engage in much else that has been going on, looks up from his toys and peers over the top edge of pair of spectacles with telescopic lenses at Selena.  "So you're telling me that you are going to leave us behind if we all don't follow you into this Cacotopic stain?  Are you sure that's wise?  What happens if we all go in there and we all are turned into blobs of goo?  Who's going to save us?  If some of us stay behind then we can mount a rescue mission to soak you all up into a sponge and get you out of the Stain!  Seems damn foolish, possibly even a death sentence to fly in without some backup plan."
"It was my understanding that we plan on returning here afterwards. Simon did not say the sStain contained a portal to your world, only that this place merely holds answers that might help Sir Simon find or create such a portal. I do not believe he said it would lead us directly to your home world. I do not believe Sir Simon plans on coming in with us."

"If you will excuse me, I think they may need me for some input in the creation of this armour."

She heads over to where Simon and the newcomer, Creel Unlundun, were examining the corpse of Unreth.
While Creel looks over the corpse repeating, "Uh huh," over and over, Simon will whisper to Betimi, "Yes we do have beasts of burden such as mules.  You can even get such a beasts ReMade to be even more efficient.  Actually, if you wanted, you could hire an actual ReMade to carry your belongings around for you.  Most would welcome employment."  

After about ten minutes he turns his attention to Betimi and says, " Excellent specimen.  The Thematurgy should be successful depending upon the amount of material needed for the armor you require.  This process creates far less waste, if any at all, so more material can be used in the creation process.  Now, what kind of armor do you want me to create and do you require it to be masterwork.  Keep in mind that like any armorsmith there is a possibility of failure."
Kee tries to assist for Creel in the preparing and creating process if he could:
- I also created some armor and could assists to you while we are waiting and boring.
[OoC  Chitin armor is an armor type in and of itself]

Quote:Chitin Armor

This consists of a few chitin plates protecting the shoulders, head, and abdomen, supplemented by bone at the forearm and shin. This chitin is usually that harvested from the scorpions of Xen'drik but there are other varieties available; such as the chitin of monstrous crabs found among aquatic and coastal areas or among the Sahuagin.
Type: Light
Cost: 20 gp
Armor Bonus: +2 Maximum Dexterity Bonus: +7
Armor Check Penalty: –1 Arcane Spell Failure Chance: 5%
Speed (30ft): 30 ft. Speed (20ft): 20 ft.
Weight: 10 lb.
Source: Races Of Eberron
[OoC2 there is another type from Races of the Dragon made by kobold armorsmiths but that is breastplates and heavier. She is not proficient in medium armor. There is another medium armor type of chitin armor also in Stormwrack.. also Medium.. and  it is just called chitin - http://www.realmshelps.net/stores/armor/Chitin]

[OoC3 so masterwork chitin light armor would cost 150 + 20 gp?]

"The lighter type of chitin armor would be suufficient, and yes, masterwork would be preferred, so i can later add enchantment if possible."
"The strength and quality of the final product depends upon those same qualities of the material which they are forged.  The quality of the chitin from this individual is quite high -- likely from being exceptionally more formidable than the creatures it preyed upon. But it's strength is not as sturdy as say, a siege beetle."

While rolling up the cuffs of his coat, Creel sighs loudly and says, "Well, enough of me prattling on.  Lets get to this shall we."

Creel begins to quickly and expertly dissect the chitin from the creature's body.  Despite the corpse being kept preserved there's still an unwelcome odor that fills the room from the various fluids its alien organs produce.  Creel bottles many of them as well as the stranger organs for later study.  When he's done his coat looks like he rolled around in a slaughterhouse. 

Then clearing his thoat, Creel begins to chant the Thematurgy upon the separated chitin.  Slowly, over the next ten minutes, the best pieces of chitin begin to piece themselves together.  Knitting seamlessly with one another to form the plates that cover the shoulders, chest, head and abdomen.  When finally finished, Creel steadies himself with the table and whispers, "It's done.  A fine piece of work if I do say so myself."
Betimi tries on the new form fitted chitin armor. with an rxpression of smug self-satisfaction. It might not be quite as protective as the studded leather armor it was replacing, but it was infinitely more flexible (Armor check: 0; Max Dex: +7). 

Plus she had kept her promise to Unreth. She would wear his carapace as armor.

[OoC and look bad-ass doing it]

"it is exquisite Sir Creel, you have my thanks."
[OoC: I believe in rewarding (or at least not penalizing) interesting/creative role playing choices.  So I'm going to let Betimi keep the armor bonus she had when she wore her studded leather.  Instead of the Chitin giving a +2, it will have a +3.  It's only a small adjustment which remains well within the range of other light armors.  The main reason I'm doing this is I don't think it's fair to penalize her twice (lower armor bonus and her paying for the crappier armor) for a role playing choice and a creative (albeit gruesome) use for Unreth's corpse which would have normally just have been left behind.  As always, feel free to PM me any questions or concerns.]

Creel nods when Betimi thanks him.  He then turns to Simon.  "I would like to purchase some of this material.  How much do you feel is fair?"

Simon's eyes widen with surprise at Creel's sudden offer to purchase parts of his specimen.  "I'm afraid it's not for sale.  I only just purchased the specimen from these fine people yesterday.  It would be improper for me to turn around and try to make a profit the next day.  To say nothing of appearances.   I told them when I bought it that I was giving them what I considered a fair market value."

Undeterred, Creel replies, "Fair enough.  Then may I share this large specimen with you?  I will even pay both you and your friends for the privilege.  You know I'm a man of great means and something like this doesn't come around every day."

"Likely never again," Simon replies.  After thinking about it for a few minutes, he adds, "Well if you pay us equally -- me for allowing you to study the creature and my friends for giving them what you believe is a fair value -- then I'm willing to share the specimen.  I don't want my new friends to think I short changed them on their... well technically now my creature. "  Simon and Creel then both turn to look at the party.  "What do you say?  Does it sound fair?"

Creel looks at the body and after thinking for a moment and then makes his offer...

[OoC: Creels offer to the group is: 8000gp's.  What do you guys want to do?  Do you want to negotiate? I'm not sure how you want to divide the gold.  Tomeal is still refusing any payment until his debt to all of you is paid.  Which will be when you guys get home.]
Betimi looks to Selina. Then back to Simon and Creel.

"May we excuse ourselves a moment to consult?"

She moves close to Selina, and whispers in her ear.  "Technically there were only four of us, Nacesh, Forge, yourself, and I that would normally take a share of that reward." She holds up a finger to forestall argument. "But I think we should include the others. Tomeal is refusing a share, but he was more than instrumental in defeating Unreth, we could force it by even holding it in trust for him to get much needed gear, he will need to have a life and livelihood once we reach home. The same for Piper, and his tribe mate. The kobolds will need to rebuild, and such a financial boon as a full share could prevent their tribe needing to rely on pursuits like raiding for perhaps a full generation. Better yet it could allow them to trade with human villages in the area on a level footing and start a fully fledged economy." She pauses to let Selina think.

"I leave it to you, my babies and I will enforce your decision."

Leaving Selina's side she addresses Simon and Creel both.

"My poor friend, Beast, lost his life defending us from a flying monster, and I find I will need a new beast of burden. My masters used such creatures as pack lizards and pack spiders, I have found humans use equine creatures on the surface lands. Is there any pack animals available in New Crobuzon that might be purchased that will do well on the flying ship, and hopefully in any environ we enter?  I would prefer either non-sentient or minimal sentience. I think my companions might find the use of a sentient creature as such to be distasteful."
Selina, as is her usual, is silent and contemplative.  She listens to her close confidants and has the utmost trust that they will provide her with information and insight that she will require to come to the decisions she needs to reach.  Betimi, as always, does not disappoint.  Couching one opinion properly against the other, there is Logos, Pathos, and Ethos in her words.  The fact that Selina had been leaning towards the same decision herself is largely irrelevant as the cleric of Selune had always been one to value the words of those she trusts most over her own.  Nodding silently, Selina comes to her decision.

"The fact that our journey began with the four you mentioned--and one other whom I will not mention--belies the fact that our current traveling group has swollen by addition of those who seek to assist us in our quest.  The fact that many of them already have seals my decision.  We will accept the offer and divide it evenly between each of us."