RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[OoC: Platemail takes 40 rounds to put on and without help it can only be put on hastily.  So someone is going to have to volunteer... ]

Tomeal was wearing a chain shirt so he had no trouble sleeping in his armor.  So he immediately jumps out of bed and begins assisting Selina in strapping on her full plate.  "You're either going to have to learn to sleep in heavy armor [Endurance Feat] or we'll have to look into some magic to do it for you," Tomeal says with a smile.

Nang joins his brother and sneaks on deck.  He wasn't as skilled his brother in the art of stealth but his small size combined with his slight build [+8], natural grace [+4] and scale color [+2] greatly aided in his sneakery.

Hide: [1d20+14] = 7+14 = 21, Move Silently: [1d20+14] = 4+14 = 18   Cool   

Both arrive on deck by literally threading themselves between the guards legs without his notice.  [Lighting conditions are currently shadowy and the guards have normal vision]  Once topside they're greeted by the ordered chaos of sailors frantically moving about the deck, readying themselves for possible battle.  There are already several guards ready and waiting for orders or battle, whichever came first. 

Both kobolds look in the direction the sailor using the spyglass is looking and the see a large airship in the distance.  The group's airship was travelling west while the pirates was travelling in a south-westerly direction, attempting to cut off the group's escape.  The sailor with he spyglass yells, "THEY'RE FLYING THE COLORS OF HIGH CROMLECH!"

The captain who has thus far been calm is visibly shaken, replies, "What are those sodding Ab-dead doing so far east!"

[OoC: Is Ning going to cast his spell?]
Selina shares her special smile of gratitude with the warrior which quickly turns into a coy grin.

“What?  And miss the opportunity to have such strong arms assist me?”

At the next alert she frowns as she fails to understand.

“Ab-dead?  Cromlech?  Could someone kindly explain what either of those mean?”

[[OoC: Did Selina rest enough to heal at all during the night?  Still deciding on her spell slots.]]
[OoC: Everyone got at least 8 hours of sleep.  Normally you would get 1 hp per level back.  But I feel it's silly that a wizard would heal to full hit points more quickly than a barbarian.  So to help balance that out I base recovery on the size of HD of your class.  Classes with d4 gain 1hp/level; d6 gain 1.5hp/level; d8 gain 2hp/level; d10 gain 2.5/level; d12 gains 3hp/level.  This mean all classes will regain full hit points in 4 days (not including con score, of course).  If you have mixed hit dice then you use whichever HD you have the most of.  If your HD is even (i.e. 3rd level fighter/3rd level rogue) then use the highest. ]
[[So is that 8 hp regained or 16 because of her +2 Con bonus?]]
(06-18-2019, 07:55 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: [ -> ][[So is that 8 hp regained or 16 because of her +2 Con bonus?]]

[OoC: It would be 8 hp.  The way the hit points for rest work is for example, wizards have d4 hp and gain 1 hp per level.  So a first level wizard with 4 hp would be healed fully in 4 days.  A first level barbarian with 12 hp gains 3 hp's so he would also heal in 4 days.  It's the same for everyone else.  But if that 1st level wizard had 6 hit points from a +2 con bonus, he would be fully healed in 6 days.  The First level barbarian with 14 hp from a +2 con bonus would heal slightly faster in only 5 days but that slight dependency is a lot better than it taking 14 days (or two weeks) to heal to full under the normal rules.  Sorry if I'm over explaining.  I just want to make sure the house rule is clear and to explain why I made the decision.  ]
[[No no, I got it now. Thanks for explaining. Updated.]]
[OoC: Did Selina forget to reply to the Kobold or did you just not reply to his question?]
[[Kobolds?  I honestly did not see a question from the kobolds.  Also, is the sword a great sword or a long sword?  I feel i'm getting a bit confused on that note.]]

Selina frowns at the sword for a moment and shakes her head as she responds to Nang's question..  "I have yet to wield it..."

She hesitates, knowing that using unknown magical items is the surest path to tragedy there is.

But, since the Captain of the Guard seemed to at the very least hold it, it should be something she can do herself.  So, she tentatively draws the sword from its scabbard.
Knowing that he can change the illusion if needed Ningalu spread the area of his illusion out to cover the upper aftdeck, where the Captain is steering the ship.

Illusionary crewmen rush to raise thick cargo netting on a framework around the deck, sheltering anyone on the aft deck in thick illusory cargo netting, which if real would foil a lot of missile fire, but allow defenders to shoot and poke spears through easily. [Wikipedia - Boarding Net https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boarding_net]

Then Ningalu hunkers down near the Captain, trying to hide and stay clear of the crew and marines while he concentrates.
Selina tentatively draws the sword from its scabbard.  As the sword's cold iron blade emerges from its sheath greenish energy begins to dance along its edge.  The soft glow slowly brightens her face until the great sword is fully revealed.  Then everyone in the room is startled by the sudden crack of thunder and greenish flash of lightning!  The Kobold jumps back in astonishment.  The sword's glow quickly dies to intermittent sparkles as a warmth washes over Selina's body like a hug of acceptance.

[In the morning, as the sky is just beginning to lighten...]

While Selina is putting on her armor, Ning conjures the illusion of a thick cargo net and sailors.  The illusionary sailors raise the net in the hope the other ship will be fooled.  

When Selina asks what was happening, Simon replies, "High Cromlech is a country controlled completely by the ab-dead, sorry... the Abnormal Dead.  I believe you call them undead.  Not much is known about their motivations, so I'm not sure why they would be this far from their country.  Obviously, since they are ab-dead, they are not to be trifled with."   

The Captain orders someone to man the bolt-throwers and prepare for battle!

Moments later the sky is lit up for instant when a bolt of lightning strikes the mast, scorching and cracking it down the center.

The Captain shields his eyes then looks up at the mast that looks like it could fall apart any minute.  "Ahhh... I think that was a threat."