RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: New Crobuzon & the World Beyond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Elphaba replies, "Do we really want to try to dismantle the door before we answer the riddle?  And what kind of item are you thinking of to fill the empty socket?  We could roll up a cloak and stick it in there.  Maybe cut some flesh from the ground and stuff it in the hole?"
[OoC: Sorry that it was not clear that Kubo was speculating out load, and asking the groups opinion, and asking if anyone has a book they are willing to possibly sacrifice to the door? And can he find a rock to carve the dwarven rune of knowledge into?]
(03-01-2022, 01:25 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][OoC: Kubo, your last few posts have not included any quotes nor are they apparently directed at anyone.  Some players may think you're just thinking to yourself.  If you want to suggest a book or ask someone if they have a book you should put it in quotes so other people don't think your posts are just an internal dialogue.]

[OoC2: Is Crozar still with us?]

"I don't believe this device allows for two way communication," Elphaba replies to Selina.  "The more I study this door the more I feel like it's the magical equivalent of security waiting for the password to open the way into a rogue's hide out or a pirate's den."

[[She wasn't speaking with the door that time, just remarking on how silly it is for a riddle about knowledge to not take itself seriously. Tongue]]

Selina shrugs in thought to the various ideas that are presented.  "Perhaps the 'knowledge' part is only vague.  It apparently must be something physical, but still connected to the concept of 'knowledge'."  She takes a look inside her pack while others are looking around.
Crozar shrugs to Elphaba's question.  The cacatae asked, "Does anyone have a small gemstone or something like that that might fit that hole?  Although perhaps it is a human thing?  Tomeal or Selina, would you be willing to risk putting your face in the mask?

Crozar goes back to look at the fleshy boulder monsters that we killed.  It was looking to see if their eyes or other appendages might fit the mask.
[OoC: Was there something specific Selina was looking for in her pack?]

Tomeal replies, "Selina will not be placing any part of her body into that door.  Besides, the face is projecting outward so there's no way to place anyone's face in it.  The best we could do is rub noses."

Simon says, "As I've said, I'm terrible with riddles but I think the simplest way to begin tackling this riddle is to do what Kubo did.  He thought of something that could contain knowledge - a book.  If no one wants to answer 'book' to the door then we should try thinking of other things that hold knowledge... like a scroll, or a book shelf, or something.  Someone [a PC] must offer the door an answer or we should move on to travel the more difficult way."

[[The monster's faces - if you can call them faces - are one size larger than the featureless door mask/carving. ]] 
[[The group does have some gems.  You can find them in the treasure thread. ]]

Here are some.  There might be more.
Gems
Agate (10 gp)
Amethyst (90 gp)
Amethyst (110 gp)
Aquamarine (500 gp)
Aquamarine (600 gp)
Bloodstone (55 gp)
Freshwater Pearl (9 gp)
Hematite (13 gp)
Ivory (45 gp)
Milky Quartz (55 gp)
Moonstone (50 gp)
Obsidian (11 gp)
Onyx (65 gp)
Pyrite (10 gp)
Smoky Quartz (50 gp)

Crozar shrugs and says, "Ok, let's try that then.  We seem to just be wasting time."  The cacatae steps in front of the door and focuses it's gaze on the mismatched eye holes of the mask.  In as clear a voice as it can manage, Crozar says, "A book."  Although Crozar wishes to project an aura of confidence, it couldn't help but flinch in expected reaction to a wrong answer.
(03-03-2022, 09:16 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][OoC: Was there something specific Selina was looking for in her pack?]

Tomeal replies, "Selina will not be placing any part of her body into that door.  Besides, the face is projecting outward so there's no way to place anyone's face in it.  The best we could do is rub noses."

Simon says, "As I've said, I'm terrible with riddles but I think the simplest way to begin tackling this riddle is to do what Kubo did.  He thought of something that could contain knowledge - a book.  If no one wants to answer 'book' to the door then we should try thinking of other things that hold knowledge... like a scroll, or a book shelf, or something.  Someone [a PC] must offer the door an answer or we should move on to travel the more difficult way."

[[The monster's faces - if you can call them faces - are one size larger than the featureless door mask/carving. ]] 
[[The group does have some gems.  You can find them in the treasure thread. ]]

Here are some.  There might be more.
Gems
Agate (10 gp)
Amethyst (90 gp)
Amethyst (110 gp)
Aquamarine (500 gp)
Aquamarine (600 gp)
Bloodstone (55 gp)
Freshwater Pearl (9 gp)
Hematite (13 gp)
Ivory (45 gp)
Milky Quartz (55 gp)
Moonstone (50 gp)
Obsidian (11 gp)
Onyx (65 gp)
Pyrite (10 gp)
Smoky Quartz (50 gp)

[[I was checking her sheet to see if she had any spells that might assist or any items that might be accepted by the gate.  Not willing to give up either CLW wand.  Besides, I don't think that's "Knowledge".]]

Selina smiles her special smile at Tomeal for protecting her.  "Thank you, Brave One.  Though I'm quite certain I can defend myself, it is much appreciated."  She then turns to Simon.  "I'm fairly certain that I did answer the door and it did not take me seriously.  Puzzling, but I'm not certain a verbal response will work."  Crozar then proceeds to try it out and Selina shrugs.  "I suppose we will just have to see."
[OoC: I did not consider replying to the riddle with a riddle of your own a true reply.  That's not usually how someone solves a riddle.]

Crozar decides to take the plunge.  He says, "A Book."  After a few seconds the large keyhole morphs into a rectangular indentation about 16" high x 12" wide x 6" deep.
[OoC: so the key hole becomes a spell book sized inditation?]
[[ Yes, it is around the same size as a spellbook and many many other kinds of books]]