RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If Agloval leaves the group alone Nacesh looks around at the company, noting silently.
"Just mentioning that we know nothing about this place, or this guy, or this tavern. Let's stay alert in case he tries to lead us into a trap."
Tomeal says, "I think maybe Piper, the Kobolds and myself should guard the corpse while the rest of you negotiate the price at the... ummm... Dying Child.  But with a name like that we might all want to be present.  He said it was popular but popular with whom?  The Undead?" The mention of undead was suppose to be kind of a joke but now that he thinks about it, they were selling a corpse to someone in an establishment called the Dying Child.  "Actually it does sound a little Undeady..."

The frogman pokes his head into the circle of light shining above you and says, "Ok, the coast is clear.  You coming?"
Selina frowns in thought for a few moments.  He made some good points.  She did not like the sound of the bar in question either.  Then she remembers the immense stink surrounding them and puckers her nose again.

"First thing's first, let's get out of this place and into daylight."

They would have to hoist the despicable thing up through the manhole.  Not exactly a pleasant thought either.  Oh well.  They'd just endured a journey and now would have to see it through to the end.
"I will climb up first to make sure it is safe."  Forge will hand over the torch to someone and begin the climb up the ladder, while carrying the rope/ropes needed to hoist up Unreth's body.
"Leaving the corpse behind may be a good idea." the spearman nods at Tomeal before committing to the climb himself, borrowing inspiration from Mil as he gracefully runs up the slippery stone wall. "If we have to move fast it would get in the way."

OOC - climb take 10 should be enough I guess but if needed, here's a roll.
Climb if taking 10 is insufficient/not feasible [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16
(wow... I actually make use of the bonus my familiar provided? Smile )
[OoC: So far there hasn't been a 100% decision whether you're taking Unreth with you.  Both Tomeal and Nacesh suggested leaving it behind and Selina and Forge wants to take him with them.  Betimi and Gilley haven't spoken up on the issue.]

Forge follows Agloval up the ladder.  The light from the open manhole gets brighter and bright until he pokes his metal head out from the ground.  What he sees is something that he's never witnessed before.  

The streets look worn down and the buildings are a mishmash of different styles and from different time periods.  Then his ears draw his eyes in the direction of a distant chugging noise.  Peering between two tall buildings he spots a long iron, serpent-like thing built of a long train of carriages.  It is difficult to make out at this distance but its wheels traveled along a bridge like structure that towered over many of the building below.  The bridge it the line of carriages rode upon appeared to be reinforced by beams of wood and iron.  Smoke billows from the top of the lead carriage as it roars toward an enormous structure.  

Then there's a loud humming noise above you.  When you look up, you see the undercarriage of a huge vessel attached to thick metallic cables which were held up by tall poles.  The thing slid along the cables toward you and as your eyes follow, it passes overhead and continues on toward another tall needle-like building.  As it gets smaller and smaller you then notice the skies were different too.  Not only was there a faint cloud that turned the sky a brownish color but there must have been a few score of crafts attached to different shapes of balloons floating around above the city.  

Agloval looks down at you and says, "Are you coming?  Oh, and welcome to, New Crobuzon!"
Not used to surface dweller customs, betimi decides that perhaps the bative will know best.

She looks up the ladder to where Agloval's head peaks down at them through the hole.

"Will it be taken amiss by the natives of your city if they see us dragging this corpse through the street? Is it klikely to be stolen if we  leave it down here with a gurad or two?"

She glances at Selina, "I trust your judgement, do you trust Agloval's advice?"
"Hmmmmm." Agloval thinks for a moment and says, "On account of its size, I would say we might get some odd looks.  And that thing certainly wouldn't be allowed inside the Dying Child.  You've dragged the dead thing through a sewer for Thirty or so minutes.  It will stink to high heaven!"
"I guess that decides it. Sir Tomreal, are you sure you wish to stay behind down here? You seem to be as uncomfortable with these tunnels as the others."
Oddky, Betimi seems as comfortable with thevsewers as she was anywhere else, perhapsveven more comfortablebthan she was when beneath thebopenvskies on the road from Cantus.
Selina thinks it over for some moments.  "We will need to show the body to the kobolds we met earlier as proof of its demise.  We promised them freedom, they still believe themselves enslaved.  Before we make any rash decision about what to do with this...disgusting slab of vile matter, it must be shown to the kobolds."

She thinks for a few moments, deciding to give the frogman a chance.  "To be frank, we all likely smell quite terrible, so we are all in need of baths and a warm place to rest."