RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nacesh nocks his crossbow and quickly excercises with his fingers to remember the somatic part of his frost ray, ready to apply either depending on the situation.
Thanks to the help of Giley holding the crate steady, Tomeal manages to slide down the board and into the crate.  [Rolled a 5.  That was very close...  Confused ]  You both begin to pull away from the river bank when you all hear a cheerful but worried sounding yelp.  Looking back you see the wild dog that had been following Jonath and the group for days.

"Arf! Arf!"  Confused

Betimi looks down the north-west passage with her Darkvision but she can't see anyone yet...

[OoC: Selina needs to get across the river too. Huh ]
Gilley gives the ones already on the other side a confused look, then glances back at Selina and the dog. "You'll have to introduce me to your friend, when the two of you get to the other side." he quips, while pulling himself and Tomeal across.

Stranger though this dog may be, Gilley is not about to leave it behind, if it's intent is to join them.
Betimi frowns.

"that dog is going to alert the kobolds.  Feed it or something Selina."
"Agreed," Nacesh nods. "The refuse may sate its hunger but won't keep it quiet. A piece of premium meat may gain its friendship which we probably own already. Being next to us may comfort it and keep it quiet. We are a friendly lot, after all, no?"

(OOC - we are quite a charismatic bunch, eh? I've just realised that my 19 is not the only one in the party :O and assume Gilley is also pretty good at handling animals.)
(Just in case it comes to that; here's a handle animal check in advance)
Handle Animal (just in case) [1d20+4] = 5+4 = 9
[[Since my character sheet had to be pieced together from nothingness, I'm sure there's a large number of things that were initially there that are now gone. In any case...I guess I'll just have to catch up with things right the hell now.]]

Selina watches everyone cross the river, deciding to go last because that is just who she is...but also because she is the least likely to succeed. She decides to remove her armor and shield, giving herself the best possible chance of making it across. Finally ready, she almost slips and falls in the river when she hears the barking dog. Turning slowly, she sees that, yes indeed, there is a wild dog behind her, of all things. Blinking a few times in the darkness, she crouches slightly and fishes some jerky from one of her trail rations, holding it out to the dog.

Handle Animal: [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11
[OoC: Apparently the Handle Animal skill is 'trained only.'  Undecided  But the dog isn't suddenly barking to cause trouble.  It's barking because it doesn't want to be left behind! ]

While Tomeal and Giley pull themselves across the river, Selina attempts to woo the worried pup.  It tilts its head slightly at the offering jerky and then pup runs over with its tail wagging to scarf up the dried beef.  Selina pulls the crate back over to her side and prepares to get into the crate.  Unfortunately she doubts the dog will stay quiet if she leaves it behind...
Betimi gets an idea.

"hold the crate stable, before you get into it and now that he's had a taste, throw some more jerky into the bottom of the crate. get him to leap in and we can bring both of you over.." 
Selina grins at Betimi's idea and nods in agreement. It was good having her along, she was intelligent and had a lot of good ideas at important times. Selina stays low, keeping a hand out towards the dog so it can keep her scent. Then she tosses another piece of jerky into the crate for it as she continues to back up towards the crate.
Meanwhile Betimi thinks t herself.
And iof he barks too much, dogs are probably not bad tasting to eat. Better than kobold anyway