RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Initiative [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19
Spotting the ugly beast Nacesh moves into point blank range and makes a feeble attempt to freeze her legs.

(OOC: Move to N17 I guess. Reminder: the attack Nacesh made in prev.post is:
Ranged touch [1d20+4] = 3+4 = 7 Ray of frost incl +1 damage for draconic bloodline [1d3+1] = 3+1 = 4
I forgot +1 for PBS but I don't think it would change the outcome.
*BUT* if N17 is not close enough for the Ray of Frost then Nacesh will stay put and use the wand instead)
[OoC1: I should be updating the post in a few hours.]

[OoC2:  he dog is not under the Spider.  In my post I said it was looking at a 45ish degree angle and its scent ability is around 30'.  I did place the dog on the map behind Selina but if you move to the dog you will be actually moving away about 5'. ]

[OoC: dur to the cave in you will be walking on difficult terrain.  So the closest to N17 you can get is O17 beside it.  You wold be close enough to attack the Spider]
((Out-of-turn))

Her eyes stare blades of frosty rage at the creature that was the cause of so much pain as Selina speaks two words in a voice so low one could barely hear it:

"Destroy it."
(02-14-2017, 10:45 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][OoC1: I should be updating the post in a few hours.]

[OoC2:  he dog is not under the Spider.  In my post I said it was looking at a 45ish degree angle and its scent ability is around 30'.  I did place the dog on the map behind Selina but if you move to the dog you will be actually moving away about 5'. ]

[OoC: dur to the cave in you will be walking on difficult terrain.  So the closest to N17 you can get is O17 beside it.  You wold be close enough to attack the Spider]

OOC - I got the feeling that line of effect from O17 is obstructed by a wall. So if I can't make it to N17 then let's go wherever I can and if it's farther than 30' then it is wand time.
(02-14-2017, 10:45 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][OoC2:  he dog is not under the Spider.  In my post I said it was looking at a 45ish degree angle and its scent ability is around 30'.  I did place the dog on the map behind Selina but if you move to the dog you will be actually moving away about 5'. ]

[OoC which tells me you misunderstood what I meant.  I didn't say i moved to the dog. i said she tried to go stand under where he appeared to be barking at.  trying to triangulate. Probably nowhere near an exact science.. she is just gues-timating and moved in that direction looking up trying to see what it was he was scenting]
[OoC1: My plans to post this morning were derailed by Valentines Day.  At this point I'm not sure why I bother posting when I plan to update because something invariably happens to screw up those plans.  Dodgy ]

(02-08-2017, 10:05 PM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ]Betimui steels her nerve and moves forward a little, to directly underneath where the dog is barking, making sure that Jonath can see her at all times, and shard in hand, looks up.

[OoC2: Please forgive my mistake.  But in my defense you said (as quoted above), "directly underneath where the dog IS barking."  Not, "directly underneath where the dog is barking AT."  The dog IS barking behind Selina.  But he is barking AT the ceiling around 30' away from him or about 25' from Betimi.  At the time, due to the dust, Betimi could only see 20'.  Anyways, now I know what you're mean...]

Initiatives:

24 = Jonath
22 = Tomeal 
18 = Unreth
19 = Unfriendly Kobolds (???)
17 = Selina
13 = Betimi
12 = Friendly Kobolds (2)
09 = Good Kobolds
08 = Forge
06 = Gilley
02 = Dog

[OoC:  There were a couple of errors made at the beginning of this encounter like there being no light so it would be pointless for Nacesh to stumble toward the creature in the dark.  So let me set things up a little more clearly...]

While most of you who heard the dog barking at something in the darkness were readying themselves for whatever was to come, Betimi moves closer.  Moving in the direction of the dog's barking, Betimi slowly creeps north over the rubble from the collapsed ceiling.  She scarcely moves five feet when to her horror the darkness peels back to reveal the huge spider-like creature clinging upside down to the ceiling.  At that moment, as a deep chuckle resonates through the cave, the torch light flames up, blinding everyone for a split second.  Your eyes adjust quickly and are drawn to what Betimi gazing at.  Clinging to the ceiling with four spindly legs, you spot a huge spider-like creature.  It's face, a horrific mixture of arachnid and humanoid.  With several black bulbous eyes dotting it's forehead and a huge, gaping oversized maw of jagged teeth.  A long scorpion like tail curls over its back while greenish venom drips to the rocks below.  The tail, quivering with anticipation, poised to strike at anything that dared to draw too close.  

[OoC: I will allow Betimi to throw a crystal before initiative and Forge to make his spellcraft check and accept the torch.  Nacesh may alter his action to do either a move action OR a standard action.  I'm not considering anyone flatfooted because you all were alerted by the dog that something was close.  Anyone with Spellcraft may attempt to identify the spell Unreth cast as a Free Action (DC 16).]

Private to Forge:
Forge recognizes the spell's somatic components as being a Silent Shield Spell.

[OoC: To recap: Betimi needs to roll her crystal attack.  Nacesh needs to complete his standard or move action. Gilley's action was lighting the torch. Forge's action was to accept the torch and spellcraft (because identifying a spell takes no time.)  Tomeal's action was to ready his crossbow.  Selina's action is was to ready her crossbow. Jonath doesn't seem to have any range attacks so even though he could see the creature he can't do much other then ready his weapons.]

If everyone is cool with that...  Start! ]
((On Forge's turn ))

Through the distortion caused by the torch's flame, Forge watches the creature's arms move in almost hypnotic pattern drawing up a long forgotten memory... Instead of an eight legged monster he sees a human garbed for battle, casting a defensive shield spell to block the magic missiles from his foe.  He hears another human curse and say, "his spell is blocking my magic, destroy him!"...

Snapping out of his reverie Forge here's a whisper, "Destroy it."

"His spell will block magic missiles." Forge says, then moves closer (5') to launch his rock at Unreth.  "ATTACKING," He says loud and clear.

Rock [url=[1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9]attack[/url] = 9
Rock [url=[1d4+3] = 4+3 = 7]damage[/url] = 7
Betimi's arm snaps back in a fluid motion and she launches the crystalline shard at Unreth, which it easily skitters away from

[Attack: Thrown Crystal [1d20+5] = 8+5 = 13 (-2 for range increment of 20' makes that 11)]
"Drat," Nacesh reacts on Forge's words as he knows his plan B of using the wand is now obsolete.
Moving cautiously closer (within point blank range) he readies his crossbow while digging the magic recesses of his personality for invoking Ray of Frost from his draconic blood.

(OOC - moving to N17 or O17; wherever he has line of fire within 30 feet. Next round he'll move closer if needed and possible; hopefully no more than a 5ft step; cast RoF (miss) and load crossbow as move action.)
[OoC: To recap: 
  • Betimi needs to roll her crystal attack.  
  • Nacesh needs to complete his standard or move action. 
  • Gilley's action was lighting the torch. 
  • Forge's action was to accept the torch and spellcraft (because identifying a spell takes no time.)  
  • Tomeal's action was to ready his crossbow.  
  • Selina's action is was to ready her crossbow. 
  • Jonath doesn't seem to have any range attacks so even though he could see the creature he can't do much other then ready his weapons.]
[Completing Move OR Standard actions...]

Betimi instinctively hurls her crystal at Unreth but the Beast's sudden appearance so startled her that the projectile is thrown wide and smashes against one of the stone walls.  

Nacesh creeps closer to Unreth to set up his attack.

Initiatives:

24 = Jonath
22 = Tomeal 
18 = Unreth
19 = Not so Friendly Kobolds (???)
17 = Selina
13 = Betimi
12 = Friendly Kobolds (2)
09 = Good Kobolds
08 = Forge
06 = Gilley
02 = Dog

Round 1!

Jonath and Tomeal!

Tomeal fires a shot off with his crossbow.  The bolt flies through the air and bounces off one of the stone walls.  Tomeal curses his luck and [with his move action] reloads his crossbow.  "We need to get him off the ceiling.  Anyone have any ideas?"

[OoC: If I don't hear from Jonath by the morning I will move on to Unreth and the not so friendly Kobold's actions.]