RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The clumsy spearman sighs in relief.
Careful now, he thinks then speaks, just as quietly as the kobold did.

"We have some friends to help. And you can help as well, if you are willing. Light would be good for starters to see each other. Do you think Unreth would notice if we lit a torch right here, right now?"
He pauses for a second before slowly reaching for his backpack.

(OOC - still haven't found my original inventory but I guess I went with the DND equivalent of PF sorcerer's kit including torches and flint&steel)
The kobold watches as Selina feels her way through the darkness to get close enough to add to the conversation.  After both she and Nacesh speaks, the Kobold quietly hisses, "Ssome of uss might fight withh you.  But ancestral rulers, the Dragonss, emanate fear sso Koboldss evolved to resspond well to fear.  Human not undersstand.  We fear but deep down comforted by that fear.  Koboldss feel ssafe knowing ssomething sso sscary is here to guard nesst againsst predatorss!  Hard to overcome insstinctss!  And if you spark torch, Unreth will know right away where you are."

Meanwhile, Forge tries to move but finds his limbs extremely stiff.  With great effort he manages to raise his hand to his face to find his eyes are not covered so he must be in darkness.  Forge tries to call out but the words that do escape his mouth sounds broken and hollow. [Sort of like an extremely degraded recording.]  Forge realizes he must be in seriously bad shape.  He's lucky to be still functioning at all.  Suddenly Forge feels something poke into his chest while someone hisses, "What? you alive?"
Nacesh does not proceed with his attempt to make light but nods, knowing well that the kobolds can see the gesture.
"Having a scary guardian is good but her eating the fiercest of the tribe is wrong. Dragonkin life is dearest of all."
Bertimi decides to take a small chance.

Her cadaverous, scabbed  and diseased face [OoC bound to Leraje remember] edges forward from where she was pressed against the wall and peers at the kobold with her alien black eyes.

"Unreth is not the only frightening being that stalks your mines."

[OoC not sure there is a rule for Intimidate that allows me to show him how scary I can be, without directly trying to demopralize him]
[Intimidate [1d20+9] = 17+9 = 26]
Nacesh picks up the cue and adds,
"And she won't devour you. As long as you don't turn on her, that is."
intimidate [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10 (Aid Betimi)
[OoC: Betimi's intimidate action is a little peculiar.  I know what she is going for but I think it would be more of a Diplomacy check.  Different targets of diplomacy are influenced in different ways.  Some you manipulate, others you sweet talk and Kobolds you forcefully explain why them working with you would be in their best interests.  But I will take everything and everyone into account when I decide how he reacts and I will include an intimidate synergy with diplomacy.]

(12-30-2016, 03:59 PM)Nacesh Wrote: [ -> ]Nacesh does not proceed with his attempt to make light but nods, knowing well that the kobolds can see the gesture.
"Having a scary guardian is good but her eating the fiercest of the tribe is wrong. Dragonkin life is dearest of all."

The kobold was from this new tribe who were trying to set up a different life for themselves and hatchlings.  He knew it would sound crazy to almost anyone that they could still follow a leader like Unreth but in a way it had become an accepted way of life.  It was one of the reasons why they evolved to have such high birthrates.  If it weren't for them being used as fodder or food by other races or monsters, their population would explode!  It was a rather sad life for them which is why this group tried to get out.  But a monster found them anyways.  An extremely hungry monster. 

"I undersstand," the Kobold replies.  "You humanss have a ssaying.  Old habitss, die hard.  In headss we know but insstinct iss a powerful thing to ignore."

When Betimi makes herself known, the Kobold's body jerks with surprise.  He points his spear at her preparing to run her threw.  She quickly [Fast Diplomacy -10 = full round action instead of 1 minute.] explains that he might want to rethink his position on Unreth then both Nacesh and Selina get in on the conversation too.  

The kobold's gaze falls to the ground like he's considering their offer.  He suddenly nods, then with a wave of his hand and quiet, 'shushing' sound you all see yourselves change into Kobolds.  "Come with me, but sstay close.  Sspell area ssmall.  Sstep out of Illussion and your true formss be revealed."

If you follow him, he takes you around the corner where quickly speaks to another Kobold in common.  "Thesse will not hurt uss.  They friendss."  Looking around you see three empty barrels, a large wheel barrel and another empty large box all lined up against the southern wall.  There's also a metal statue at your feet.  You all are a little startled when it tries to speak but you can only make out the word, "Help..."

Some pebbles fall on Betimi's head from above.
Carefully, and slowly so as not to look surprised betimi will look up to see what caused the pebbles to fall.
Selina is glad that both sides have decided to mutually agree to a peaceful resolution.  She notes the pebbles as well and wonders if the Kobolds above them are testing their boundaries a little, then she hears the metallic voice from the statue and tilts her head in a puzzled way.

"Could one of you care to explain what this is all about?  I have heard of creatures being turned into statues, but nothing like this."
"Keep Common brief, simple and broken," Nacesh whispers to the others, Selina in particular.
Nacesh tries to recall his scarce studies and calls forth snippets about secrets of constructs but is this enough to identify the.... creature...?
Arcana [1d20+6] = 16+6 = 22 Geography [1d20+6] = 8+6 = 14 Untrained [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4
(OOC - assume warforged are subject of Knowledge (Arcana), as they are constructs but I guess DC ranges 20 to 30 "for really tough questions")
Jonath nods to himself as the group negotiates a sort of peace with the kobolds, and quickly falls in with the others as the kobold creates his illusion and moves around the corner.

When the statue came into view, Jonath's eyes locked on it. He could tell at once it was no normal statue, and the voice emanating from it only cemented that fact. He approached it slowly, eyes wide, now basically oblivious to the other happenings around him. "Fascinating..." he says in a breathy whisper as he draws near. Addressing it directly, he speaks more loudly. "Hello," he says, "I'm to try to help you, don't be alarmed." Seeing that some of the outer layer of encrusted rock has begun cracking and flaking away, he begins to pry at it, freeing an arm, marveling at the articulation of the limb as he works it in various directions to try to shake out the debris from the joints.