RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Betimi moves as close as she dares to the waters edge to keep a close eye on Jonath to make sure he does not get ambushed.
"Ready for crossing?" Nacesh asks noone in particular as he helps pushing the crates towards the shore. He ensures that Mil returned to the safety of his cloak's folds before boarding.
Jonath quickly sets to securing the other end of the rope on his side of the river. With it safely tied off, he motions for the others to begin crossing while he keeps a watchful on the tunnel on this side.

[OoC: I intended his constructs to take on a clockwork appearance. His manifestations I hadn't thought as much about, but something a bit more subtle would suit him, not only because it's more "thiefly," but mainly just because he's a low key humble kind of guy. It's ultimately up to you though, and that scene works fine for now.]
[OoC: If you plan to use the boxes as a bridge...]

You all line up the boxes and thread the rope through the metal loops.  Then while everyone holds the opposite end of the rope, someone pushes the 5 large crates into the river.  The current attempts to drag them down river but with a group effort you're able to stabilize them to tie the rope to a sturdy stalagmite. Taking a moment to examine your handiwork you imagine you could use the rope to help guide yourselves across your stepping 'stones' but the crates are still not particularly stable.  The metal loops were meant for tethering the crates together and guiding them downriver with a boat.  Not to make bridges to walk across.  

[OoC: I'm going to say that you only need to make one balance check.  But the current DC is 8.  Then you add your Dex bonus, armor penalty and any synergy bonuses for having 5 ranks of Tumble.  If you can think of anything else to help lower the DC, feel free to mention it because every little bit helps.  

Tomeal's bonus/penalty would be -4 (armor) +2 (dex) = a penalty of -2. So DC10.  Confused   Ummm I think he's going to be removing his armor to get across this river.  So his new DC would be 6.  Still kind of high...]

[OoC: If you decide you're going to use a box like a boat...]

Your group prepares to use a box as a boat to ferry yourselves across.  You thread the rope through the metal loops for extra security so the box doesn't get washed away. Now you must find a way to get into the box from the river's edge as there is a gap of about 2.5 to 3 feet to cross.  A couple of obvious ways into the box is to climb down the steep river's edge a few feet to reach the box and then climb into it while it's bobbing on top of the water or jump from the edge of the river into the box while it bobs in the water.  If anyone has another suggestion then feel free to offer it.

[OoC: The DC of this option will be determined when you decide how you're climbing or jumping into the unsteady crate.  Remember the surface of the river is 5' down from the river's edge where you stand.  A 5x5 crate floating on the river will leave the top of the box almost as high as the river's edge with a gap of 2.5 to 3 feet.  If you want to put stones in the box to weigh the crate down deeper in the water that's up to you to determine how much weight you want to put in the box.]
[OoC bridge? I had thought we were going to use one or two boxes with some ballast stones as a sort of ferry and just pull them along the rope with us IN the box, not trying to walk across the top of them. I thought thr crates were about 5' on a side.. which would easily hold a person.]
[OoC: Either way works for me.  I updated the post with the boat idea too.]
[OoC so unsafe either way.]

Betimi waits to see which method the rest of the group prefers to try, or if anyone has any ideas that might mitigate the danger of one of the options.
The crates have some handles or holes or something right? I had the impression we were applying rope loops to the crates and driving the lead rope through those loops so even if they are unstable or bob or such they cannot be washed away nor can they tilt too much as the rope keeps them upright.
If they are tied fairly tightly together (effectively the boat idea) they are even more stable.
I don't get where those 2-3 feet come from. Do we have to push the crates to the depths and then jump down?
Why don't we simply enter the boxes (no need for anyone to push) and use the lead rope to drag ourselves along?

Another idea is to freeze water around the crate for the briefest amount of time. Unless I'm mistaken Nacesh still has some castings of Ray of Frost for today (even though level advancement would kick in after the next rest only)
There are metal loops. I didn't say anything about the crates being washed away. The crates are floating on top of the water. They can tip very easily in the strong river current. The rope will help, which I will calculate into the DC but that will really depend upon how taut you can make the rope which will require a use rope check by Jonath which I will roll in secret.

The 2-3 feet comes from the rivers edge not being a 90 degree angle with the surface of the river which is about 5' below. The river's edge is like a crack in the stone floor of the cave's floor with about 5' distance down from your feet to the water. So the top edge of the crate is about 2 to 3 feet away from the steep edge of the river. You need jump down 5' into the crate while avoiding top edge of the crate which is 2'to 3' away. If you don't clear the top edge of the crate then you could tumble into the water. I hope that makes sense. Certainly if you can figure out an easier way to get into the crate then feel free to suggest it to the party.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Betimi goes to look through the pile of lumber the kobold pointed out, looking to see if there is a board or two long enough to bridge tge gap.

She also suggests to Tomreal adding some stones to tge bottom of tbe box, as a ballast.