RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Not toss, no, but carry. If you can use your magic to shrink me down even smaller, I can use my powers to briefly create a flying construct to carry me across, rope in tow. It will leave me slightly vulnerable, being alone on the other side, but I'm willing to assume that risk in order to secure the rope and allow the rest of us to cross safely," Jonath answers. "Let us get everything prepared on this side so that once I'm across, the rest of you can quickly follow."
"Sounds like a good plan to me. Let us get these crates dumped."

Betimi will use her spear to pry the lid off the next crate and attempt to gently tip it so that its contents can spill onto the ground. She will request Tomreal's assistance if it is too heavy. She is careful not to tip the crate towards the water, she doesn't want the contents to be dumped into the water.

"The last thing we need is the food to go in the water and attract the creatures we are trying to avoid."
While Tomeal assists with removing the food from the crates the Kobold leans back against some rocks to take some strain off his injuries.  He feels saddened seeing the supplies being dumped on the floor but understands reasons so he doesn't try to interfere.  "Boxess ussually sstrung together with rope through metal loopss.  Then ssecurely tied to boat to be towed downriver to other Kobold ssettlementss.  Other ssettlementss must be sstarving by now."  

Tomeal listens to the sad state of the Kobold's situation and will offer his condolences and a promise that he will help them the best that he can to defeat Unreth so his settlement can recover.  

The Kobold then says, "I'm not ssure if you have need of them but where you found me there iss a sstack of wooden sslats used for the railss for our Mine Trolleyss." 

When you finish emptying the first crate you find an assortment of air-filled bladders wrapped in netting, and attached about half way up the inside walls of the crates.  Likely they were added to help with the crate's buoyancy when travelling down river to the other settlements.
Nacesh listens to Jonath's plan.

"Clever indeed. Can't your constructs carry the rope over and fasten it until one of us, probably you, get to the other side?"
While speaking the spearman retrieves and unrolls a neatly tied scroll. All the rest can see are the graceful and tidy runes line after line.

Trying to comfort the kobold, the spearman says,
"Better starving than being eaten, little one. You are an honest and brave fellow and we will do our best to relieve the suffering of your kin."
[OoC: In the monster manual it states that creatures may carry up to a light load and still be able to fly at their normal speed.  A 1st level astral construct has a Str 15 which means they can carry a light load of 66 pounds.  Looking at Jonath's sheet, he weighs a total of 67.7 pounds (including his quarterstaff).  So even just by leaving his backpack and its contents behind, his construct would be able to carry him over without any need of a reduce spell.  

RE Flying speeds:  The text could also be interpreted that the flying creature can still move at a reduced speed if carrying more than a light load, since it doesn't explicitly state that a creature can only fly if carrying a light load.  So I guess it's really up to how the DM wishes to interpret the rules.]
[OoC: I can't remember why now, but I had looked at the flying rules and construct weight limits and decided I would still need to be shrunk. Maybe to account for the weight of the rope? Anyway, as long as it can fly full speed while carrying me, I don't care if I get reduced or not. It only has a 20 fly speed and only lasts one round though, so with trying to cross the ~20' distance I don't want to risk it taking more than one round, thereby dumping me in the river.]

"Alas, my constructs are very short-lived and basic in function - I would not trust it to be able to tie the knot itself before dissipating. Though upon further consideration, if I leave my pack here, I don't believe I'd need to be shrunk for it to carry me across. It looks as though we'll be able to string the rope through these loops on the boxes and create a sort of pontoon bridge for easier crossing. When all are ready let me know, and I will make my trip across."
[OoC: Also remember your construct can take 2 move actions so it can move 40'. ]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
"I recommend we tie off this end of the rope in advance. That way if something happems we can haul you in fast."
Nacesh nods and starts tying the rope as Jonath instructs (OOC - not too much of a Use Rope genius but he can "aid another" if that makes sense)

Use Rope / aid another [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16
[OoC1: You actually only need to roll a DC: 10 to tie a tight knot.  So Nacesh doesn't need to aid another to succeed.]

[OoC2: When I have some time, I will post some additional information about the Use Rope skill and the target DC's needed when wrapping prisoners with multiple layers of rope.]

Nacesh and Betimi tie the rope to a stalagmite(?) on their side of the river while Tomeal and others finish removing the spoiled food from the number of crates the group thinks they will need.  When finished they look to Jonath to complete their plan.

Jonath pics up the rope and walks to the edge of the river.  He concentrates and suddenly a rainbow-flash of light sweeps away from his body to a distance of 5 feet and then dissipates.  With Jonath's eyes shining pure silver a construct molded from pure ectoplasm materializes and instantly snatches Jonath up into it's arms and carries him through the air to the other side of the river.  Seconds after Jonath feet touches the ground, his eyes return to normal and the construct disintegrates.

[OoC3:  Jonath could have different displays for his power or even try to hide his displays.  Not knowing what he wanted, I just used the displays described in the book.  Feel free to let me know if you wish to alter your psionic displays to something more roguish.]