RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Missing Caravan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-23-2016, 12:31 PM)Nacesh Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2016, 03:28 PM)Betimi Wrote: [ -> ]As she creeps south Betimi looks over her shoulder at Nacesh and speaks just loudly enough to be heard.

"And just what would Tomreal do alone on the far side since the rest of us would still be too heavy? Might I remind you the kobolds are waiting on the far side hidden to attack with missiles and flaming oil.."

The spearman rolls his eyes in submission.
"So shall we wade through in single file?"

Can't believe they don't get the grasp of it, he thinks. Just how safer it is to wade through unknown waters, all in single file than to cross the bridge, three light people first, heavier in single file afterwards?

[OoC we didn't miss it. You obviously misunderstand that there are attackers waiting hidden watching the bridges. And you also misunderstand teh concept of 'light enough'. Only Jonath as size Small is light enough. The rest of us, heavily armoured or lightly armoured are ALL too heavy.]
[[Even if Nacesh is able somehow to reduce us all, and we file across singly, there's no guarantee the bridge doesn't collapse. Also no guarantee we make it safely across with the kobold trap and ambush.]]
Giley pokes at the river with his bow but he can barely reach the surface because the ground he stands upon is almost 5' away from the surface of the murky water.  If there's an attempt to tie a rock to a rope and then drop it in the water to measure the depth it's revealed that in this section the water is close to 10' deep.

"Remember, my friends," Tomeal says quietly. "The Kobold said there are creatures in the water that will eat us."
"Ah yes, excellent point master Tomeal, I had forgotten. Nacesh, with the aid of your shrinking magics I have an idea of how I may get across. If I carry the rope with me and find a way to attach it securely on the other side, do you think you all would be able to make it across safely?" he asks the group. "Unless someone has a grapple and an excellent throwing arm, that is," he adds.
"Perhaps we should check the contents of those crates, it couldn't hurt."
"Clever, on both fronts," Nacesh acknowledges both Jonath's and Betimi's wit and strides straight to the nearest crate to examine if it looks safe and easy to open. He will use his spear if a lever is needed.

((OOC - I might have missed something but I definitely caught the hurt kobold mentioning the bridge supported four kobold's worth which is less than any single one of us, Tomeal excluded. I guess Tomeal shrunk, Jonath and maybe Nacesh together wouldn't weigh more than four kobolds. but let's hear Jonath out for his plan...))
[OoC: Tomeal guessed four Kobolds weigh about 200 pounds.  Each one of you likely weigh less than 200 pounds but if two of you walk on that bridge it will likely set off the trap.  But even if you were to try to get across the bridge one at a time, the kobold informed you that they are waiting for you on the other side.  When you start to cross the bridge the kobolds on the other side will likely bombard the area with sling stones, javelins and greek fire, with their readied actions.  So it's likely you will take a lot of damage before even getting a chance to close the distance with them.  This is why they would rather take the southern route.]

Nacesh takes Betimi's suggestion and goes to investigate the large sturdy crates.  Judging by the amount of dust on top of them, they must have been here for at least a week.  Jonath doesn't think they are trapped so Nacesh looks for a way to open them when he notices something peculiar.  The wood has been treated with some sort of wax, especially the seams where the in planks were laid side by side to create the walls of the crate.
[If they mention the wax seal aloud..]

"Wait, careful opening the crates. They are built to contain something liquid. That liquid could be dangerous. But the wax itself will make the crates waterproof perhaps. Meaning they could float."
Nacesh nods. "A raft. Or a makeshift bridge."
He carefully opens one of the crates with safe distance if possible (even the shortspear should be enough to stay at least two feet away from the crate, right?
"More akin to a boat than a raft, leave the sides and bottom intact. Just remove the top. Trying to make a bridge without already being across would be impossible."