RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: A Stolen Land
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-09-2018, 06:33 PM)Vidar the Red Wrote: [ -> ]Vidar nods to Andra.  He then cracks a smirk at the verbal lashing Happs just received.  In Skald he says to his brother,
"You might have to heal Happs after that scolding."

Vidar chuckles and replies in Skald.
"Just be glad she has found a new target. You have suffered enough frostbite."
(03-06-2018, 10:37 PM)DM Dougfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2018, 03:11 AM)Nexendia Wrote: [ -> ][OoC: Whether we beat them to death or scared the wolves away we still defeated the wolves.  The same is true with traps.  Whether you destroy, fly over, sneak around or disarm a trap, you get XP's regardless of how you get past it.   Smile  ]

[ooc: physically avoiding an obstacle does not grant XP.  Some amount of agency into mitigating the obstacle itself must be accomplished before XP is to be awarded.  Otherwise, you could cast a fly spell, fly over a room full of creatures, and start churning out huge amounts of XP.  That can't work.]

[OoC: It depends upon the objective and the level of threat.  Just flying over something to gather experience wouldn't be enough.  But spending resources to find a way to avoid the encounter because you need to get to the cave they are guarding on the other side should be worth something.  In our case we expended resources and managed to scare off a group of wolves that were more powerful than us.  The wolves were also not evil and were only following their instincts.  So chasing them off rather than killing them is actually defeating them creatively.   Big Grin ]

"Well, since most seem to want to continue to explore the forest shall we delve deeper or should we explore its perimeter first?"
@DM: Could we estimate how big is this forest?
(03-12-2018, 03:39 PM)Nexendia Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2018, 10:37 PM)DM Dougfan Wrote: [ -> ][ooc: physically avoiding an obstacle does not grant XP.  Some amount of agency into mitigating the obstacle itself must be accomplished before XP is to be awarded.  Otherwise, you could cast a fly spell, fly over a room full of creatures, and start churning out huge amounts of XP.  That can't work.]

[OoC: It depends upon the objective and the level of threat.  Just flying over something to gather experience wouldn't be enough.  But spending resources to find a way to avoid the encounter because you need to get to the cave they are guarding on the other side should be worth something.  In our case we expended resources and managed to scare off a group of wolves that were more powerful than us.  The wolves were also not evil and were only following their instincts.  So chasing them off rather than killing them is actually defeating them creatively.   Big Grin ]

"Well, since most seem to want to continue to explore the forest shall we delve deeper or should we explore its perimeter first?"

[[Emphasis mine.  What you just stated, and what Nex and Eran did, typifies my generalized statement.]]

[[OOC Eran: The Narlmarches are a vast swath of forest that bisects the Stolen Lands.  Picture the State of Maine with White Mountain National Forest bifurcating running the distance between north and south.]]
- We should delve deeper cos the forest is too big.
[BTW, in case you’re curious why I didn’t ask for a knowledge check, that is the sort of question you could ask Happs and he would be able to tell you.]
(03-13-2018, 05:27 PM)Eran Wrote: [ -> ]- We should delve deeper cos the forest is too big.

Okay, let's go in.
Quote:[[Emphasis mine.  What you just stated, and what Nex and Eran did, typifies my generalized statement.]]
[OoC: Yes, but my original comment to you was about you saying that -- and I'm paraphrasing -- you are only giving us experience points only because you feel like being nice.  And all I was saying was that we did use resources to defeat a foe. But I digress.
Nex sighs and says, "Alright.  Into the forest we go.  Remember to stay alert.  Onward..."
Compared to the pristine openness of the grasslands, the Narlmarches seem almost...oppressive. Dense undergrowth that must be worked around or cut through, the musky scent of loam fills the air you breathe and feels like it must be cut with a blade, all around are the raspy, twittery noises of an active nature at work. Although beautiful, there is something about it that is just full of tension.
OOC - Nex, can your familiar watch the forest from the sky? Maybe she can notice a path, some tracks, a clear, enemies, etc.