RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: A Stolen Land
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Andra pauses to look at Vidar thoughtfully. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that random words, purposefully in a language you are certain not to understand, but obviously in response to your last action, are likely insults. How cowardly to the man doesn't have the guts to insult her forwardly. She wonders if these brother are more trouble than they are worth.

In the end, the barest corner of her lip curls in an unpleasant smirk as she meets his gaze, then she turns back to the fort-keeper's wife.
With her mind upon her children, Nexendia doesn't pay attention to the exchange the companions were having.  But when her thoughts return to the present, she can't help notice Andra's unpleasant smirk.  She glances in the direction of her gaze and it doesn't take much effort to figure out something had happened with the barbarian.  Nexendia hoped this wouldn't become a problem.  She was not well acquainted with Andra but Nex did know her to be a strong and intelligent women.  Not one to forgive a slight quickly without a sincere apology.  She didn't get the nickname, Ice Queen for her sunny and warm personality.  She particularly despised not being taken seriously because she was a women.  

Nexendia strolls over to Andra and quietly asks, "You seem perturbed.  Is there anything I could help you with?"
In Skaldic
"That Princess has an iron core..  not sure if she is truly a princess. I am still unsure what her title is. Definitely well-born, she will prove a strong leader, the runes have shown me that much. I might be of more use if I change my magic as well, but Odhinn does not require that I rest to do so, merely that I beseech him at dawn, or later. It will be more likely that he restores my magic after the bandits are dealt with if they arrive just at dawn."

Once he is satisfied that he and his brother will be able to quickly shut the gate from behind, he turns his attention to the rest of the compound.

"Our allies will be up on the wall walk.  Nexendia, Eran.. do you think it would be a good idea to limit our foes ability to get up to the wall walk? Just by filling the gaps between buildings with debris is what UI have in mind, nothing permanent, but just enough to hinder any attempt to get up to you.  That will give you time to hopefully make their lives difficult, and keep them in the main courtyard where they are easily attacked by missiles from the wall."

He starts by moving the wagon, with Vidar's aid hopefully to obstruct thee south way closest toi the gate. Then he drags the tables by the north to lie on top of each other to block easy access to the house. After that hay bales, bits of wood and other debris are placed to create difficult terrain between the buildings [in places marked by red x]

[Image: fort.jpg]
((I think I should explain some of the landmarks within the palisade))

A1. Market Yard: This open area is where trade takes place. The two tables near the fire pit are used to display wares and serve food to visitors, while bulky trade goods are offloaded into the storage pen. 

A2. Guesthouse: Oleg typically rents out the beds in this guesthouse to anyone who wishes to stay the night at a rate of 5 sp a bed per night. A rustic breakfast and filling dinner is included in that price.

A3. Stable: Oleg keeps his jittery horse Claptrap here. He rents out the other stalls to visitors’ steeds at a rate of 2 sp per stall per night—that price includes a day’s worth of water and feed and a complimentary rub down for the horse.

A4. Storage Pen: This fenced area has a wooden roof to keep off most of the rain and snow—trade goods like furs and other goods are stored here until enough build up to warrant a trip to the city to sell them off. The pen is currently empty, as Oleg’s been forced to turn over his stock to the bandits.

A5.  Middens: Three 3-foot-deep composting pits and middens. 

A6.  Main Hall: This squat but solid wooden building is Oleg and Svetlana’s home and the storeroom for the trading post. The double doors leading out into the market yard can be barred but not locked.

A7.  Dining Room: This is a comfortable room with a few chairs and a table—the Levetons use this room primarily as a dining room.

A8.  Office: This room is where Oleg keeps his ledgers and meets with important visitors—in theory. As of yet, no one of importance has bothered visiting the trading post. 

A9.  Stockroom: This room is used to store the trading post’s stock. The stock currently consists of a suit of leather armor, a heavy wooden shield, two hand axes, five javelins, a longbow, two dozen arrows, a scythe, two spears, two potions of cure light wounds, a potion of shield of faith +2, two vials of antitoxin, six torches, two weeks of trail rations, a number of animal furs worth a total of 120 gp, and a chest containing 1,080 cp, 577 sp, and 140 gp. 

A10.  Storeroom: This room contains two barrels of drinking water, a half-full barrel of lantern oil, three common lamps, a dozen candles, a week’s worth of firewood, a hooded lantern, 70 feet of hemp rope, a tent, and enough food (mostly cheese, hard bread, and dried venison) to last for 2 weeks.

A11. Bedroom: This modest bedroom is where the Levetons sleep.
Vidar notices Andra give him one of her ice-cold looks as she leaves, he never did like nobles and high-borns, and he always seemed to say the wrong things in their presence.  They always think they are better than everyone else, Vidar thinks to himself.  

"You speak true brother."  He then helps Valdi move the wagon and obstruct the passages throughout the fort, all the while taking stock of what is here and building a huge appetite.

Vidar takes a short break from all the work and returns to the front gate where he left his pack.  He takes off his leather tunic, which is beginning to stink from all the travel and sweat of the day.  Pulling the cork on his water skin, Vidar takes a swig of ale as some escapes to run down his face and chest.  "Eran, your magic worked good on those doors.  This old fort could use a few sorcerers."
Away from the group and in what will be their sleeping quarters, Andra begins setting up her alchemy gear for easy use in the morning. As Nexendia comes in, she glances up for a moment, then goes back to her preparations, sorting errant herbs and magical components. At the elf's question, she smirks slightly, but doesn't look up from her task, but answers succinctly. "If there were a problem, it would not lie within me."
Nexendia slowly nods and decides if Andra did not wish to speak about her annoyance with Vidar then she wouldn't pursue the matter further.  Instead she looks over Andra's Alchemy gear and says, "I have thought about learning Alchemy.  Perhaps when you have some time you could teach me some basics.  The reason -- I have often thought Scarf would be excellent at flying over the enemy to drop Alchemist fire upon their heads.  Of course he could deliver other substances too, like tanglefoot bags, acid, thunderstones or even holy water if facing undead.  I could even use my modest knowledge of nature to help you gather some ingredients for some creations, if you had any in mind." 
She glances at Nexendia for a moment. "I am afraid I could be called a mere dabbler in the alchemical arts. It is more of a tool than a vocation for me. Some of what I do isn't quite proper alchemy." She points at the softly glowing bottles in her case. "These are more like spells given physical form, and they remain tied to my own energies. They are useless to anyone else, and they expire in a day's time. I must make them anew each morning, if I think I'll need them..." She trails off for a moment, briefly distracted by her preparations. "I could... make the alchemical items you mentioned, given enough time, though I don't foresee having it anytime in the near future."
"Your dabbling is far greater knowledge then I have," Nex replies.  "But I really am a quick study.  Perhaps once I learn the basics we will be able to aid one another in making some interesting concoctions.  You may be correct about lack of time.  But I can still try to collect ingredients while we travel and perhaps find time to create at meal times and during our watch.  It would be more productive than staring into a fire waiting to be attacked."
Andra stops what she's doing and watches Nexendia for a moment. Supportive interest in what she's doing? Not even her parents gave her that. There was never a single person who understood her (or cared to, for that matter). "... I suppose I could teach you, yes." She removes a journal from her bag and sets it down. "My formula are there, mostly from experimentation, using a magic scroll as a... model, if you will. It's not easy, but if I get my hands on written magic, there are ways of translating it into an elixir...." She glances at the book, then back at her herbs and reagents. "And the standard alchemical fare, of course. That will be much easier to teach. It doesn't require any changes to your energies. I'm not even sure if the elixirs are possible for you to learn... but then, why would you want to when a simple spell is more convenient..."