RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: A Stolen Land
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Your idea with the bear trap is good, but puts Andra in danger needlessly in order to get you to your smashing and clawing, and ignores some of our capabilities.. first, we must decide do we ambush them inside the fort.. or bar their entry"

"If we bar their entry then Andra can add her extra capabilities to my prior stated plan. Where we take advantage of Nexendia's illusion to draw them close to a gate that looks open when it is actually closed. That plan puts us all in the least possible physical danger but the highest chance that one of them might escape. As we will have both cover and height advantage from the walls, but they will not be surrounded and trapped."

"Luring them into the fort has merit but we need not create a pile of  loot to lure them in and hide your bear trap. An illusion of that same pile of loot can hide your bear trap just as well, actually better because the bear trap can be hidden by an illusion of bear dirt in a small hole just in front of the loot.  I can lurk just behind the gate in straw or something. Vidar you can hide behind the opposite gate. When the last rider enters or the first one triggers the bear trap we close the gates behind them. Nexendia can use her Grease to control the area or prevent escape if not all the brigands enter the fort. Eran can stun and blind some that try to get up to the wall walk where our spellcasters-crossbowmen are, or he can make us large depending if he can get his magic reorganized before hand. I can use my rune blessing to defend the are in close to me and the gate,  and my reach to defend you brother.

"Frauline Andra forgive my urge to protect you if that offends, if you are more comfortable engaged with the foe at close quarters then feel free t modify my simple plan accordingly. The same goes for you Frau Nexendia, and you Sir Eran. this is but the beginnings of a plan. But no one that does better ranged should engage in melee. I am, somewhat more capable in melee than ranged, but deadly enough at a distance if needs be." 
[[ OOC - I inserted the link to the map of the "fort" here, because sometimes I didn't see the image in the original post. (I could get the URL if I view the source code of this forum post.)]]
Oleg's Trading Post

(08-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Nexendia Wrote: [ -> ]"My spells are already fairly optimized for this situation. I have a Mage armor for protection; Silent image for stealth or trickery; Grease for battlefield control.  I doubt my other spells would be as useful except for maybe Expeditious Retreat for if things go bad."  Nex makes a superstitious gesture to ward against bad luck.

- At now I can cast two combat oriented spells: Mage Armor, Color Spray. I can change them to Enlarge Person and Vanish (a very short time invisibility), but I need nine hours to reorganize my spell list. I could casts these spells in any combinations four times in a day.

(08-15-2016, 10:52 PM)Valdi Wrote: [ -> ]"How long does your enlargement last? Would you be able to cast the enchantment quickly enough to be useful? If so, I could be quit devastating with this."

- The enlargement last for 15 breaths [[1 minute]] and the invisibility last for 2 breaths [[1 round]]. I could increase my spells effect three times in a day, e.g. they last for double time long. I need some time [[enlarge: 1 round, vanish: 1 std. action]] to casts these enchantments so we must hide somewhere for example in the building in the left side.
[Image: oleg-post-blogy.png]

((This is how Oleg's Trading Post looks like, top-down.  Just FYI.))
Nexendia listens to Eran's readied spells then adds, "I should also mention my specialty is Conjuration.  Which means I may also summon a creature for a very short time [Because Summon monster is practically useless at 1st level] but if used cleverly it might useful.  I was thinking my silent image might be able to produce some illusionary guards hiding on the walls which might make them think twice about attacking for a short time."

[OoC:  I have Summoner's Charm which adds half my wizard's level to my summoning duration.  The minimum is 1rnd so my summoned critters will stick around for 2 rounds instead of the normal 1 round. ]
She glances at Valdi as he puts forth a plan that protects her from melee combat. and shrugs. "I have no shame in not being a frontline warrior, or preferring that things aren't hitting me. While I could engage in melee, I prefer to do so with an advantage over my opponent, which seems unlikely in these circumstances." Looking at the fort caretakers, she adds, "The two of you should remain out of sight, in your house. And expect that we will likely need to stay a day or two after to rest."
(08-18-2016, 06:07 AM)Nexendia Wrote: [ -> ]Nexendia listens to Eran's readied spells then adds, "I should also mention my specialty is Conjuration.  Which means I may also summon a creature for a very short time [Because Summon monster is practically useless at 1st level] but if used cleverly it might useful.  I was thinking my silent image might be able to produce some illusionary guards hiding on the walls which might make them think twice about attacking for a short time."

[OoC:  I have Summoner's Charm which adds half my wizard's level to my summoning duration.  The minimum is 1rnd so my summoned critters will stick around for 2 rounds instead of the normal 1 round. ]

Oleg and Svetlana look at each other with a puzzled, hesitant look.   "Well...we could do that.  It would give us some more time to prepare things.  And who knows?  Maybe Restov will finally send us their promised guardsmen."  A look at Svetlana's face shows just how willing she is to trust that line of thought.  "I'm honestly worried that, if we use that tactic, they'll come back with their whole group tomorrow."

(08-20-2016, 09:55 PM)Andra Petrescu Wrote: [ -> ]She glances at Valdi as he puts forth a plan that protects her from melee combat. and shrugs. "I have no shame in not being a frontline warrior, or preferring that things aren't hitting me. While I could engage in melee, I prefer to do so with an advantage over my opponent, which seems unlikely in these circumstances." Looking at the fort caretakers, she adds, "The two of you should remain out of sight, in your house. And expect that we will likely need to stay a day or two after to rest."

Oleg pipes up before Svetlana can say anything. "I will absolutely not allow Svetlana to be present when those...those scumbags arrive."  "Touching, sweetie, but I can make my own decisions."  "You can, but I will protect you from any barbs they can offer."
Valid always had a way to get Vidar to see reason, at least sometimes. "You were always more cautious brother, but I would not want to upset our Uncle if we died foolishly tomorrow.  Sweet "Helga" will have to wait to sate her blood lust." He says as he strokes the blade of his axe and smiles.

(08-18-2016, 06:07 AM)Nexendia Wrote: [ -> ]Nexendia listens to Eran's readied spells then adds, "I should also mention my specialty is Conjuration.  Which means I may also summon a creature for a very short time [Because Summon monster is practically useless at 1st level] but if used cleverly it might useful.  I was thinking my silent image might be able to produce some illusionary guards hiding on the walls which might make them think twice about attacking for a short time."

"I was thinking of a similar ruse, Lady Nexendia, dressing logs and hay up as soldiers, but that would not stop these bandits, only delay them.  And their numbers would grow the next time they come.  I would prefer to crush them now and be done with it."

(08-21-2016, 03:04 AM)DM Dougfan Wrote: [ -> ]

Oleg and Svetlana look at each other with a puzzled, hesitant look.   "Well...we could do that.  It would give us some more time to prepare things.  And who knows?  Maybe Restov will finally send us their promised guardsmen."  A look at Svetlana's face shows just how willing she is to trust that line of thought.  "I'm honestly worried that, if we use that tactic, they'll come back with their whole group tomorrow."

(08-20-2016, 09:55 PM)Andra Petrescu Wrote: [ -> ]She glances at Valdi as he puts forth a plan that protects her from melee combat. and shrugs. "I have no shame in not being a frontline warrior, or preferring that things aren't hitting me. While I could engage in melee, I prefer to do so with an advantage over my opponent, which seems unlikely in these circumstances." Looking at the fort caretakers, she adds, "The two of you should remain out of sight, in your house. And expect that we will likely need to stay a day or two after to rest."

Oleg pipes up before Svetlana can say anything. "I will absolutely not allow Svetlana to be present when those...those scumbags arrive."  "Touching, sweetie, but I can make my own decisions."  "You can, but I will protect you from any barbs they can offer."

Vidar is familiar with magic but not practiced in it like Eran and Nexendia, not yet at least. He hears the concern in Oleg's voice for Svetlana.  Turning to Svetlana and Oleg he says to them.  "I will teach you to fight, then you will be the ones to be feared.  Do you have any weapons?  If we fail with these bandits, you will have to make a choice.  Will you die standing or on your knees?"
(08-23-2016, 01:27 PM)Vidar the Red Wrote: [ -> ]Vidar is familiar with magic but not practiced in it like Eran and Nexendia, not yet at least. He hears the concern in Oleg's voice for Svetlana.  Turning to Svetlana and Oleg he says to them.  "I will teach you to fight, then you will be the ones to be feared.  Do you have any weapons?  If we fail with these bandits, you will have to make a choice.  Will you die standing or on your knees?"

Oleg frowns darkly "We don't really have weapons, no.  But if you fall, they will have to get through me to get to my wife."  Svetlana smiles at her husband.
"Oleg do those catapults on the towers work? And do you have ammunition for them? If we could train one of the catapults on the most likely route of escape it would have a greater range than any bow, possibly a method top prevent allies from being warned."

Valdi grins at Oleg, then unlimbering some of his weapons hands Oleg a pair of throwing axes.

"One to hurl and one to chop. Do not hurl both unless you have something else to hand." He gestures at the hammer and crossbow still dangling from him. "I retain more weaponry yet and would rather these get used than hang from me as ornament."
Vidar follows suite as his brother, offering his pair of throwing axes to the couple, or anyone else in desire of a weapon.  "Is it settled then, we lure them into the fort and ambush them? There is much work to do, axes to sharpen, and graves to dig." Vidar says in his thick Skaldi accent.  "I am prepared to work all night if need be, but whatever is in that pot smells good right now." 

Ooc - It seems we have a semblance of a plan that everyone is agreed upon, lure them in and trap the bandits, kill them?  I liked Valdi's plan where we wait in hiding on opposite sides of the gate then pounce if and when the bear trap is triggered.  If we can set up the offering and hide the trap well enough then Nexendia can save a spell slot.  Eran's enlargement spell and color spray spells have the potential to end the fight quickly, either by a knocking them all out at once, turning us into killing machines, or a huge intimidation factor at the least.  I prefer this as we are all rather squishySmile Anyone with ranged combat abilities could be positioned up on the walls or towers, in case of an escape.  We need to:

- Figure out how to close the gate, either manually or using weights and pullies, we would need rope and lots of rocks...
- Set up the offering "as usual" to lure them in (this may save a spell for Nex, not sure how long it lasts)
- Make satisfactory hiding places for everyone
- Develop an alert system for their arrival
- Anything else I missed?

From the looks of the trading post, is there enough wood to make rudimentary shields or spears for extra protection, is there ample rope or chains lying about, any animals?