RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Black Hills Caves: Exploration Day 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically there re three ways to Identify potions Spellcraft with detect magic/identify, which alcemists cannot do as they don't get detect magic, craft)alchemy) which you must have the Alchemyt class feature for (alchemist, investigator, and some other archetypes), and good old fashioned sampling which is Perception
(02-12-2021, 01:13 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][Well that's what I get for answering a question in bed while still half asleep.   Rolleyes

I wasn't even aware a perception check could identify potions.  But I don't see any reason why you couldn't take 10 or even take 20.  Like you said, an argument could be made that 20 tastes of a potion could use up a potion but I doubt it. You literally could just dip the tip of your finger in to get a taste.  ]

Eva decides it's a protection from evil potion.

[ooc - I wonder if there are no restrictions to use this check. For example, you already had to seen this type of potion earlier or if its not a common cure potion then the spell must be on your spell list. How can a dumb barbarian identify a prot from evil spell with a good perception? I think its too powerful without restrictions.]
(02-11-2021, 07:54 PM)Eva Morningtide Wrote: [ -> ]Eva also examines one creature why was her arrow ineffective, what kind of creatures are these? Which one was their leader? She picks up her arrow.

What does she find out about them?
She also examines the bones of spears. Are they similar to our 'clubs' or human bones, etc? (ooc - nature check?)

Eva's knowledge nature (untrained): [1d20+5]=8+5=13

Let's take their equipment we can put them down behind the hidden door. 

Doesn't anyone else has detect magic spell prepared? If no then I will prepare it else I will prepare something else into the empty slot. (ooc - I thought Reawyn has got it but it was certainly Chrome)
Gurkagh has Detect magic but hios spellvraft is -1 ( no ranks and -1 ability modifier)
(02-12-2021, 02:41 PM)Reawyn Wrote: [ -> ]Basically there re three ways to Identify potions  Spellcraft with detect magic/identify, which alcemists cannot do as they don't get detect magic,  craft)alchemy) which you must have the Alchemyt class feature for (alchemist, investigator, and some other archetypes), and good old fashioned sampling which is Perception

The Alchemist states: An alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.  

This is a little vague in that it says you can use Craft (alchemy) AS IF using detect magic.  Detect magic says you need Spellcraft.  So are they saying you use Craft(alchemy) in place of Spellcraft or does having the Alchemy class feature allow you to ACT like you have detect magic but you still need Spellcraft to identify the potion.

To me it sounds like it's the latter.  You still need Spellcraft as it only mentions that you act like you have Detect Magic.  But I would be happy to hear opinions to the contrary.
(02-12-2021, 07:29 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2021, 02:41 PM)Reawyn Wrote: [ -> ]Basically there re three ways to Identify potions  Spellcraft with detect magic/identify, which alcemists cannot do as they don't get detect magic,  craft)alchemy) which you must have the Alchemyt class feature for (alchemist, investigator, and some other archetypes), and good old fashioned sampling which is Perception

The Alchemist states: An alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.  

This is a little vague in that it says you can use Craft (alchemy) AS IF using detect magic.  Detect magic says you need Spellcraft.  So are they saying you use Craft(alchemy) in place of Spellcraft or does having the Alchemy class feature allow you to ACT like you have detect magic but you still need Spellcraft to identify the potion.

To me it sounds like it's the latter.  You still need Spellcraft as it only mentions that you act like you have Detect Magic.  But I would be happy to hear opinions to the contrary.

They use their craft alchemy skill INSTEAD of Spellcraft.. it is Spellcraft that requires Identify and Detect Mahc, byr alcenists do not get Detect magic since they do not get 0th level spells, so do not need Detect magic to do this
(02-12-2021, 08:19 PM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2021, 07:29 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]

They use their craft alchemy skill INSTEAD of Spellcraft..  That is what it says,  it is Spellcraft that requires Identify and Detect Magic, for alchemists do not get Detect magic since they do not get 0th level spells, so do not need Detect magic to do this.
if it was jusrt due tro their Alchemy ability it would just asy that because of their ACHEM(sU) ABILITY THEY DO NOT NEED TO CAST DETECCT MAGIC. iT WOULD NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT USING cRAFT(ALCHEMY)

If it was jusrt due tro their alchemy ability it would just asy that because of their achem(su) ability they do not need to cast detecct magic. It would not say anything about using craft(alchemy)

The direct quote from the alchemist(su) class feature is\
Quote:. In addition, an alchemist can use craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.

If it were just a feature of having Alcchemy(Su) they wouldn't confuse you by saying 'use Craft(alcheny)
OoC:  Personally I don't care which skill is used.  I asked for other's opinions because the ability doesn't say it replaces Spellcraft.  It just says you can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using DETECT MAGIC.  I just think the wording could be a little more clear.  But I have zero problem with Craft (Alchemy) being used. ]

So what are you guys doing?  The only thing magical was the potion of Protection from Evil.
"We should keep moving." 
(02-14-2021, 01:33 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ]So what are you guys doing?  The only thing magical was the potion of Protection from Evil.

Eva's acts: http://forums.rpgaddicts.com/showthread....7#pid49637

Then we can go ahead...