RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Black Hills Caves: Exploration Day 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"I seem to have taken some damage. Are any of us skilled at treating injuries?"
They each have a Small bone longspear.

You also find:
  • 159 gp, 1089 sp, 5310 cp
  • 166 gp in assorted gems (see below)
  • 1 potion 
  • Masterwork Sickle (306 gp)  (Sell 153gp)
  • Masterwork Breastplate (350 gp) (Sell 175gp)
Assorted Gem type and value:
  1. Alabaster (11 gp)
  2. Alabaster (12 gp)
  3. Chrysoprase (40 gp)
  4. Malachite (10 gp)
  5. Rhodochrosite (10 gp)
  6. Rhodochrosite (12 gp)
  7. Rock Quartz (10 gp)
  8. Smoky Quartz (50 gp)
  9. Turquoise (11 gp)
Eva also examines one creature why was her arrow ineffective, what kind of creatures are these? Which one was their leader? She picks up her arrow.
Reawyn says "Let me try something I just learned"

He  pulls out one of his two cure light wounds infusions. "This will work only on me, it will not work on you if you were to drink it'

He unstoppers the vial, but instead of drinking it pours a little bit of powder in.

"is anyone else wounded? Bunch up"

Once everyone that is wounded  has gathered into a close bunch, Reawyn nods. Then without warning he slams the vial into ESSACUS's chest, smashing the vial so that Essecus and everyone within 5' of him is splashed.

Healing Bomb [1d8+2]=2+2=4 ESSACUS heals 4 HP, everyone in the splash radius heals the minimum amount possible automatically = 3 HP

Reawyn is now at full.

"Sorry not quite as effective on you as I hoped."
Reawyn will examine the potion with Craft Alchemy)

Quote:As per Alchemyclass feature
In addition, an alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.

Craft (Alchemy) [1d20+10]=1+10=11

"I have no idea, Eva, want to try the detect magic and spellcraft method?"
(02-11-2021, 08:28 PM)Reawyn Wrote: [ -> ]Reawyn will examine the potion with Craft Alchemy)

Quote:As per Alchemyclass feature
In addition, an alchemist can use Craft (alchemy) to identify potions as if using detect magic. He must hold the potion for 1 round to make such a check.

Craft (Alchemy) [1d20+10]=1+10=11

"I have no idea, Eva, want to try the detect magic and spellcraft method?"

Let me try without detect magic this time. Later I can examine it by detect magic. 
She compares its color, smell, texture, density with other potions we have and she finally tastes it if its look likes a similar potion.

Eva's perception: [1d20+7]=6+7=13

No, I don't know. I can only guess. I need more time. I'll try again later. (ooc - can she use take10 or take20 on this check? I think she can use take10 but not take20 because she will run out of potion if she tastes 20 times Smile)

[Identifying Potions: In addition to the standard methods of identification, PCs can sample from each container they find to attempt to determine the nature of the liquid inside with a Perception check. The DC of this check is equal to 15 + the spell level of the potion (although this DC might be higher for rare or unusual potions).
Identify the powers of a potion through taste 15 + the potion‘s caster level

]
[I did some digging...

Normally, as long as you are not in a situation of danger, such as combat, or being intimidated, or under stress (like climbing a wall), or being distracted, you can Take-10 on your spellcraft checks.

However, concentrating on a spell is considered a distracting situation and you are not allowed to Take-10 while concentrating on detect magic.]
(02-12-2021, 11:13 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: [ -> ][I did some digging...

Normally, as long as you are not in a situation of danger, such as combat, or being intimidated, or under stress (like climbing a wall), or being distracted, you can Take-10 on your spellcraft checks.

However, concentrating on a spell is considered a distracting situation and you are not allowed to Take-10 while concentrating on detect magic.]

It was a perception not a spellcraft check. (she doesn't concentrating on a spell). She hasn't prepared detect magic but ray of frost instead. She has prepared three cantrips in the morning but now she is a second level magus-archer so she can prepare one more cantrip. But she needs few minutes to do that. I think I have left an empty slot if she needs something else (acid,read magic,detect magic,disrupt undead, etc.).

The main question is. Can a character identify a potion with a take10 (or take20) perception check? If the answer is yes then Eva's result is 17. I think she can use take10 but not take20 in this situation. (take10,20: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills)
[Well that's what I get for answering a question in bed while still half asleep.   Rolleyes

I wasn't even aware a perception check could identify potions.  But I don't see any reason why you couldn't take 10 or even take 20.  Like you said, an argument could be made that 20 tastes of a potion could use up a potion but I doubt it. You literally could just dip the tip of your finger in to get a taste.  ]

Eva decides it's a protection from evil potion.
Doesn't that mean Reawyn could have Taken 10 on his Craft alchemy sint requires no contentration.. in which case he would have had a 20 svs 15+Items's caster level.

Eva's PERRCEPTION as per identifying potions without Detect Magic - as per https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions/ is 15+the Spell level (as opposed to Caster level) it just has a risk if the potion is poisonous .

Quote:Identifying Potions: In addition to the standard methods of identification, PCs can sample from each container they find to attempt to determine the nature of the liquid inside with a Perception check. The DC of this check is equal to 15 + the spell level of the potion (although this DC might be higher for rare or unusual potions).