RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: [IC] Chapter 1-4: Cellars of Hate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
OOC - cannot take 20 for potentially risky situations like possibly triggering a trap...
(03-08-2016, 12:05 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: [ -> ]OOC - cannot take 20 for potentially risky situations like possibly triggering a trap...

ooc - then he could roll search 20 times :-)
(03-08-2016, 10:43 AM)Silent Giant Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, I didn't see Armory room here. Did you? Maybe the "ARM" means arm and not armory, what do you think? - he demonstrates the arm with his left arm. So we have to disarm it first.

ooc - Lugar, can you search (take20) the "arm" place?

Lugar thinks Giant is trying to make a joke at first, watching him flex his arm, then realizes he's being serious.  "You're right, we haven't found an armory yet.  Maybe it's in the cellar? Besides, who would make a key to an arm? Unless you are saying that there's a headquarters here, some place that 'arms' the traps?"
Murkatos seems to pick up Giant's uncharacteristically bright clue but it seems incidents do happen.

"I think he meant that the ARM hook is not an actual holder for a ninth key but it is some kind of switch that can be used to disarm the whole trap system."
(03-08-2016, 03:35 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: [ -> ]Murkatos seems to pick up Giant's uncharacteristically bright clue but it seems incidents do happen.

"I think he meant that the ARM hook is not an actual holder for a ninth key but it is some kind of switch that can be used to disarm the whole trap system."

Hm, did I mean that? ... Yeah, I think it maybe a lever which is now in "armed" position.
With new insight from his companions Lugar makes another attempt at the key trap.

Search - (1d20=20) +7 = 27
Disable Device - (1d20=10) + 14 = 24
Lugar finds two trigger mechanisms. One at the indicated place indeed but curiously it's unrelated to the trap. The echo in the surrounding walls suggests that hanging appropriate weight on the ARM hook triggers a complex mechanism that moves something beyond the confines of this room.

Besides, Lugar finds that it was the original door of the cache, along with its lock, that used to disarm the trap. Now broken, Lugar fails to figure out how to disable the device.

Lugar was sure in one thing; while this devilish instrument is created by an artisan with a master level of engineering skills this was not dwarven made. The details were so refined, so precise in fine details (as opposed to dwarven precision embodied in robust solutions) that it had to be elven made. Probably one of the elven subraces with the most twisted mindset; like the reclusive magic-using grey elves or the insidious drow. Either way, if this mechanism is moved by a proper counterweight it has to be absolutely perfect. Not a hundredth of an ounce more or less. Otherwise, it surely sets off the trap again.
Lugar shares his findings with the group.  The trap seems to be beyond his skill.  "We must find these damned keys, unless anyone has a better idea."  He grumbles.

Ooc - does the echo indicate a small hollow, just for the mechanism, or does it seem larger, like a secret room or passage? Also, did he identify what the trap is? Is it a magic electrical attack like before or pit trap or something?
I can smash that damned keystore if necessary. - He grabs his axe.

ooc - has someone protection from energy? :-)
"No, friend, it can wait.  Not that I doubt your abilities, rather, I don't trust this place. There's still the attic to search again, right?  Our answers might lie up there.  If our searches are fruitless lets smash it to pieces."  

If no one has any other ideas, Lugar will head back to the library. Once there he will examine the room, shelves, and books again. He's looking for secret passages behind the shelves since someone has gone to great lengths to booby trap this house, logically to Lugar they would go to equal lengths to make a getaway passage. With books he's looking for some history on this house or who made it, or any clue that might help piece together what other secrets, weapons, or treasures could still be here. (Hopefully they have pictures)

Search Library - (1d20=17) + 7 = 24
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41