RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Return to the Rusty Rat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-08-2017, 05:56 AM)Portho Nihilbuck Wrote: [ -> ]I have come to a decision. The relentless rules-lawyering, and repeated 'nerfing' of my, and other player's, abilities, has completely sapped me of any enjoyment of this game. I do not play these games to have to constantly argue whether a certain spell or ability works as intended. Common sense should prevail, and that common sense should dictate that characters would take advantage of their abilities, and know in advance their ability's limitations.  Example if stepping on twigs still made noise with sculpt sound common sense dictates that characters would know that and exercise caution. If a druid's abilities for trackless step and woodland stride still work when wildshaped, then common sense dictates they do not require 'soft soled shoes' or other accessories.  

So far I am just thankful that Portho has never been in position to try casting Major Image. The resulting argument would probably tie up the OoC chat for a month.

This decision is not based solely on this instance, but rather has been a long time coming. I kept on, hoping for things to improve, but they have not, so I ave decided to respectfully bow out. At least without my abilities being a source of argument it may make the game run smoother and more enjoyably for others.

I want to thank all of you for welcoming me into this game, but I find the game style simply not to my liking, so must bow out.

I enjoyed your play style and cleverness, it will be sorely missed.  I respect your decision and applaud your honesty.  Does this mean I get to keep the dark wood buckler?  Just kidding Smile  I hope it's not too late to change your mind.  To be honest, I was surprised to see this issue still being discussed after returning from my weekend trip.  I guess for you, the magic of the game was lost and you came to an exceptional decision.  I think through the course of these discussions and hypothetical debates the exceptional has become mundane in some cases.

As for me, this is and forever will be my first foray into pbp gaming and I still enjoy the game.
Portho, sorry Sad Unfortunately you are not the first one. I know Surrano as DM well, and his strict rules sometimes kill the joy but not the party Smile While the party is alive there is a hope to melt his heartSmile
Yeah like when the party bbn is damaged for 15pts of strength.

Sometimes it's very hard to withstand the temptation to cheat in the party's favour. Wink
(05-05-2017, 07:36 AM)Torin Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, but close range is 45 for caster at lvl 8.

(05-08-2017, 03:55 PM)Silent Giant Wrote: [ -> ]Portho, sorry Sad Unfortunately you are not the first one. I know Surrano as DM well, and his strict rules sometimes kill the joy but not the party Smile While the party is alive there is a hope to melt his heartSmile

Yes, I know him also well and has the same feelings Smile
"The new Hungarian orange:  Slightly yellower, slightly sharper, but our own"
from the famous hungarian cult movie The Witness

:
- Comrade Virág, my son's eaten the orange. What shall we do?
- Take it easy. Here you are
- That's a lemon
- An orange
- I rule that beyond discussion
- What's this?
- An orange
- The new Hungarian orange
- Slightly yellower, slightly sharper, but our own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iXdLY8iB9M
:
At least Surrano is open to discussion. Many aren't.
A hint about green dragons and burning foliage; green dragons' breath weapon is a cone of corrosive gas and corrosive substances do cause chemical burns in living tissue.
In case of metals, corrosion (read: rust) is none other than slow oxidation (unless I'm mistaken) and fire gnawing through wood (burning) is fast oxidation.

So our resident dracologists may wish to roll Craft (Alchemy) to see if they follow the recent discoveries of that science Wink

EDIT: "poison" is also a good term, it's just that the mechanics of this particular poison are based on corrosion, as compared to other poisons causing paralysis, hypotonia, haemophilia or accelerated coagulation, to name a few. There's a brief video about poisons in one of the Game of Thrones seasons, maybe Season 5, that explains how various poisons work in that setting. Below is a spoiler for the series, not for this game.
It even helps you understand the scene of Joffrey's death
I believe most of that info can be found here as well, just in case you're interested.
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Poison
Ah, still thinking back to the old days when it was just a plain old gas. Never even caught on that it was changed to a corrosive gas in 3e.
About this ad-hoc hide vs purposeful hide thingie.

(05-11-2017, 08:35 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: [ -> ]You can roll a hide check to see if you can find such spot, with +2 circumstance bonus since you are purposefully looking for it and not hiding in an "ad-hoc" way.

I simply felt it appropriate to grant a bonus whenever you put some rule in roleplaying context. Like "I search for secret doors on the far wall" instead of "I take 20 to search the room" or "I guess this manta ray statuette must have some secret function in this manta-themed underwater temple. I'm looking for more things that resemble a manta ray" instead of just "I'm looking for secret doors or compartments".

This is in addition to providing roleplaying XP for taking the long mile to make your post a more enjoyable read.

Thoughts?
(06-09-2017, 01:03 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: [ -> ]Shanna nods in agreement.  Something that could dominate a creature as immensely intelligent and powerful as a dragon was truly something to be concerned about.  She was glad that the line of debate had swiftly turned this direction.

OOC1 - Maybe Shanna knows about Orbs IC.

OOC2 - We need a Change Class Wand -> Paladin Smile
(06-09-2017, 02:21 PM)Silent Giant Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-09-2017, 01:03 PM)Shanna Rendin Wrote: [ -> ]Shanna nods in agreement.  Something that could dominate a creature as immensely intelligent and powerful as a dragon was truly something to be concerned about.  She was glad that the line of debate had swiftly turned this direction.

OOC1 - Maybe Shanna knows about Orbs IC.

OOC2 - We need a Change Class Wand -> Paladin Smile

OOC1 - que?

OOC2 - Nonsense, we'll be fine!  (*gulp*)