RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Full Version: Chapter 2-5: You're whirling 'round...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-15-2018, 01:04 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed, nothing seems to happen.
(Others? e.g. will someone try to disable the magic one way or the other, or open the secret door-like thing?)

OOC - I think we also need some knowledge checks (arcane, planes, engineering, etc) but our arcane spellcaster aren't here Sad (Shanna NPC?, Merri DMPC?)  
Is there some writings, symbols to decipher? (decipher script check?) Or nothing else but two empty walls (1.secret door and 2.magical shape)
Nothing else but one empty wall featuring two very similar magical auras (1.secret door and 2.magical shape)
[OoC: I didn't memorize Dispel Magic because we have two Arcane casters and I needed to focus on Protection Spells, Spells that help with movement through or on water and a little bit of healing. ]
(06-16-2018, 10:39 AM)Toot Wrote: [ -> ][OoC: I didn't memorize Dispel Magic because we have two Arcane casters and I needed to focus on Protection Spells, Spells that help with movement through or on water and a little bit of healing. ]

[OoC: Me too Smile Torin is our last hope and his domain spell Smile ]
OOC - or we can play pretend that Shanna has it memorised.
While everyone searched and plotted how and what to do next, Lugar quietly slunked off to attempt to disable the trap he sensed while no one looked. Normally, the grey dwarf was more calculating and deliberate in his actions but every so often something in his nature compelled him to act rashly. This was one of those times and it was this natural instinct in him that got him into trouble with his Duergar clan in the first place.

Disable Device = 16 (rolled a 1Smile
[OoC: Welp, that's going to leave a mark... ]
OOC - this particular duergar has so many scars (face and soul alike) that one more would actually make him look less ugly. I guess Smile
OOC2 - not that it matters but... Lugar I think your flat-footed AC is same as your full AC, due to uncanny dodge. Please revise your sheet + sig.
OOC3 - not sure about the entangled condition, -4 dex all right, but does it prevent uncanny dodge? see also below.

The secret door reacts offensively upon the feeble attempt of intrusion. What Lugar assumed to be some kind of point of origin for the trap, glows with a brief, pearly white light and spits forth a gooey blob that ensnares the dumbfounded deep dwarf! The gooey material all but holds him in place. (OOC - you gain the entangled condition: -2 penalty on all attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. Attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell. I'm not sure if the goo being stuck to the floor qualifies as "the bonds are anchored to an immobile object")

As if on cue, the oval aura shimmers with the same pearly white light, and a draconid form, albeit wings too small to fly, appears right next to the door. It's pearly white, and has some shimmer as if it were polished smooth, or as if its surface would be covered by some kind of gelatinous material.
Catching the party on surprise, it moves in for the kill and slams hard into the dwarf's armor (OOC - hit AC17. Lugar's AC is now either 18 or 19, depending on uncanny dodge, but if we consider him being immobile and his effective dex score as 0, then it's actually 13 and it's a hit... I think it would make entangle even more powerful than it is already)

None of the spellcasters standing around have any clue of what the first spell was, but the second one is some kind of conjuration... whether summoning or creation, is too early to tell...

Roll for initiative!
Ooc - Yeah, I knew a 1 on DD was going to hurtSmile
Ooc2 - You are correct, I think I left it at 18 in case there was a need to determine his Flat Footed AC anyway, as if he was immobilized... Which is he now?  Is this goo similar to the goo in the Incredibles? (2:12)   Of which, if this trap targeted AC then don't forget Trap Sense gives a +2 dodge bonus vs traps.  Or did he have to make a reflex save? 
Ooc3 - Good question about entangled/immobile and uncanny dodge.  If he is immobile then yes he loses uncanny dodge and the only reason I left his flat-footed AC at 18 on my sigSmile Everything has a resistance to strength though.  Do you think the dragon could be immobilized by the same goo?  I think the immobile condition should only cover movement on the map, but it seems to have some overlap with being pinned and helpless which makes it confusing. 
Ooc4 - So is his entire body covered in goo or just a leg and body part? I think one would leave him almost 'helpless' and the other 'immobile' but still able to fight.  Does the creature risk getting stuck in the goo as well? 

Initiative = 15