RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Dohwar, a Giff, and a Satyr walk into a bar [IC Thread]
Threadvine reads over Ashheart's notes as he steps around the desk.  Coming to the nearer side to you, he hands the board back to Ashheart and says, "Well, welcome. Would any of you care for some coffee or wine?  Some cheese or biscuits perhaps?  While you decide, let me tell you a bit about the ship and myself.  I have been the owner and captain of the Riposte for five years.  My primary focus has been on running salvaging services, personal transport, and general adventuring and exploration trips.  Ashheart has been my First Mate for four of those years.  By profession I am a fighter and marine. I'm a native Numliadorian, although I have been on a spelljammer since I was knee-high to a gnome. This will be an exploration cruise, but we have some guidance and clues of a potential lost motherload."  He pauses and smiles, the expression twisting oddly due to the scar. He spreads is arms wide as he says, "Now, before we start talking about you, would you like namkeen or beverage?"  {OOC: Anyone who speaks gnomish would know namkeen is a word for an appetizer or snack.}
Quote this message in a reply
(12-17-2020, 04:53 AM)Melville Wrote: "The females seem to like him too." Chimes in the dohwar, unaware that this fact might not help.

"The men-folk seem to as well," Bazzalan adds helpfully, with a cheerful smile.

Bazzalan clip-clops behind everyone while gazing at every detail of the ship and how much fun it will be to climb everything.  'It's like a giant jungle-gym,' he thinks to himself!

When they meet the captain, Bazz offers his hand and says, "It's good to meet you, sir!  You have quite the amazing ship!  I hope I get a chance to clim... I mean serve on it for you."  He then takes a seat and politely accepts a snack.
"We just came from a repast, but I would love a coffee. Wondrous beverage that is. Thank you."
"The COFFEE WOULD BE NICE SIR, AND I'LL HAVE A LITTLE CHEESE! THANKS SIR!", Rupert replies formerly.
The captain nods to Ashheart and the warforged Mate steps back out into the galley.  Sounds of opening cabinets and a small whoosh of flame can be heard. 

Threadvine leans against the desk and points to Melville.  "I've not worked with a Dohwar on the crew before.  From Ashheart's notes you say you are an exprienced navigator and jammer, of the Chrysoco Cartel.  Care to give me some demonstration of your capabilities?  A cantrip or something similar?"
Melville quickly casts a Light spell, then with a snap of his fingers a magic quill appears on his hand. He jots a quick note and the quill vanishes. 

Then he advises Threadvine that he will cast Comprehend Languages. He casts it as a ritual, but due to him having his Spellbook it still only takes a single action. 

"Now you can test me with any language you know." 
Threadvine squints at the burst of light and smiles at the rest of the demonstration.  He ponders for a moment when prompted for a language and says "Quite an impressive display" in hissing Abyssal.  He picks up a scroll from his desk and steps over to the table to set it down in front of Melville.  Spreading it open reveals it to be a relatively current navigational chart of Bralspace.  "Can you tell me a quick route from Bral to Numliador, assuming we were leaving within the next couple of days?"  {OOC: Please give me a Navigation tool check, DC 5}
(12-20-2020, 11:17 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote: Threadvine squints at the burst of light and smiles at the rest of the demonstration.  He ponders for a moment when prompted for a language and says "Quite an impressive display" in hissing Abyssal.  He picks up a scroll from his desk and steps over to the table to set it down in front of Melville.  Spreading it open reveals it to be a relatively current navigational chart of Bralspace.  "Can you tell me a quick route from Bral to Numliador, assuming we were leaving within the next couple of days?"  {OOC: Please give me a Navigation tool check, DC 5}

Space Navigation (with advantage) [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14; [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10

Quote:Spelljammer Navigation
  • While helming or navigating a spelljamming ship, you know how to make the most of celestial bodies and gravity wells in wildspace. You arrive at your destination 10% faster when dedicating your time to one of these two activities inside a Sphere.
  • You have studied the Phlogiston and know all of the known paths between spheres. When helming or navigating in the Phlogiston, you can decide which sphere to travel to  rather than being at the whim of the currents. Additionally, you may try to forge a new path. To do so, make a Wisdom (Survival) check versus a DC determined by the DM (based on the distance and difficulty of getting to the new sphere from the chosen position). On a success, you create a new known path between two spheres. On a failure, there is no telling where your ship will end up.
  • You have advantage on ability checks to maintain your heading.
Melville quickly and rather easily traces out the route on the map.  Threadvine watches over his shoulder and nods in approval.  By the time Melville finishes the exercise Ashheart returns with a large serving platter.  Set on the platter are several simple ceramic mugs, a coffee press, and a small charcuterie board with a sampling of cheese and seasoned meats. It sets the platter on the table and with the smoothness of habitual practice snaps a couple of straps together, locking the platter in place as if the ship might shift it's gravity at any time.

Pouring his own cup of coffee, Threadvine says, "Excellent.  I'm only an ok navigator myself, but that looks right enough for me.  What are your ties with the cartel?  Will they prove a complications if we should find ourselves in conflict with them?"
"The cartel? Oh, you do not understand our culture?  Dohwar culture? When we refer to cartels, they are like our clan, our .. what other races call family. Our cousins, aunts uncles. Out to several generations. The Chrysoco Cartel is my family. If you put me in a position to choose between them and you? I will be honest and admit I will decide for them. But I will be honest and tell you if you are putting me in such a position.  We are a small cartel though, so the odds of such an eventuality coming to pass are extremely small. Especially on a mission of exploration."

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon