RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

OoC thread
I'm gutted!  DmVitkyng was one of my oldest and dearest friends.  I first met Darcy and his brother, Dana, 30 years ago when they answered an ad I put up at a gaming rental shop for D&D players.  It was like they both were an instant fit which isn't always easy to find.  We lost touch when he moved to Texas for a lady he met over the internet but in recent years he had returned and we picked up from where we left off.

I have to say - and I did tell him this - he was probably the bravest person I know.   Darcy was fearless.  Despite being legally blind he would do things like walk home from partying with his coven in the middle of the night, in the worst part of the city with nothing but his cane to guide him.  I told him he was crazy but he just shrugged and said, 'It was no big deal.'  That was the way he was with anything he set his mind to.  And despite all his health problems I never heard him complain about anything.

Darcy was an amazing person, a great DM and a good friend.  He was a Wiccan of the Norse tradition so I truly hope he's now in Valhalla drinking tall mugs of mead, while teaching all those vikings how to play D&D.

Luv ya Darce
Quote this message in a reply
Well damn. I didn't know him for nearly that long and I already miss him. Great guy. Thanks so much for the stories, Marvel. He kinda reminds me of an old-timey friend of ours. Never seen or heard of him speak ill of another person. EVER. Guy just breezes through life. And just like Darcy, doesn't seem to worry about things. He once walked from Midway airport (that's on the Southwest side of Chicago) to Highland Park (it's a city about 25 miles north of Chicago. People in the neighborhood thought he was insane for doing it. He just shrugged and did it.
We don't have the date and times for his memorial yet, but I will post them as soon as we do. Hear is his Obituary

Darcy Seann Overland was born October 12,1974 and died January 18,2023.

Darcy was born in Edmonton, Alberta to Constance (Connie) and William (Bill) Overland. He lived in Edmonton until1987 when he moved with his family to Oshawa, Ontario. He went to O'Neill Collegiate and graduated in 1993. He attended Durham College from 1993 to 1995. After that he lived in Houston, Texas, and later in Lethbridge Alberta. He returned to Oshawa between and permanently in 2012.

He obtained his computer programming certification and that led him to his work as a customer service rep. and flex trainer for Sykes. Through them he contracted with multiple companies including Walmart, Simply Safe, Apple, and mostly Rogers. He loved his job.

He partnered with Anne since 2013.

His hobbies were gaming, working organizing events for Durham Pagan Pride, facilitating the coffee moot and games night at Brew Wizard.

Darcy is survived by his mother, Connie; partner -Anne Cherwinka; brother -Dana, sister in law -Helen; nephew -Erik; niece -Eilidh; stepdaughter- Jessica (Jake); and grandchildren - Jaylee, Logan, Caden, and Kinsley.

Darcy was predeceased by his father, William.

Memorial Donations may be made to Kidney Foundation of Canada Ontario Branch (kidney.ca), or the Charles H. Best Diabetes Centre, or to Darcy's gofundme.....Please Help Darcy

Show quoted text
I don't know how many of us here are local to myself, and DMMarvel, but I thought I would share. If any are interested and able to attend your are warmly invited.

Pagan memorial service for Darcy Overland will be held on Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 1 pm with reception to follow. The event will be held at Lake Vista Hall, 450 Emerald Ave., Oshawa, ON. L1J 1K4

All are welcome at anytime depending on personal comfort level. Reception to follow at approximately 2:30 pm.
So sorry to hear of his passing. He will be greatly missed.
How are you, Marvel?
(02-24-2023, 02:52 PM)Ghinatorral Ourabestos Wrote: How are you, Marvel?

Hey,

I'm sorry I dipped out for a bit.  After Darcy's funeral I had planned to continue playing but part of me felt it would be disrespectful to carry on playing so soon after his death like nothing happened.  He was a very rational person so I'm sure he would've been fine with it but it still didn't seem right.  But not long after the funeral one of my clients I was very fond of that I've supported for 23 years suddenly passed away.  This really felt like a one-two punch.  There's a part of me that feels like some higher power wants me to be miserable.  It has taken almost every family member I have and I know this might sound morbid but it kind of feels like it's now starting to go after my friends.  

Eventually I was ready to play again but then I suddenly lost about 95% of the hearing in my left ear.  I now just hear faint buzzing and the constant loud hum of tinnitus. The doctors have no idea what's going on.  They've check my ears and said they both look perfectly normal.  There's not even a speck of wax!  There is also no real improvement with my right eye.  Oh, and my car also decided to die on me.  So yeah, the fun just keeps on leaving!

Anyways, despite the setbacks and the doctor's appointments I've been really missing the game.  If everyone still wants to play then I will start either tonight or tomorrow. I just got off my overnight shift and really need a nap but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
I am up for it, has been a miserable last 2 weeks, we lost our 10 year old German Sheppard Kate last
Sunday, followed by the family 's car on Monday. We may have angered the Gods/ Goddesses.
(03-21-2023, 04:47 AM)Olaf Svenson Wrote: I am up for it,  has been a miserable last 2 weeks, we lost our 10 year old German Sheppard Kate last
Sunday, followed by the family 's car on Monday. We may have angered the Gods/ Goddesses.

Well something seems pissed off...  Tongue

Ok, what say the rest of you?
(03-20-2023, 02:40 PM)GM Marvel Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 02:52 PM)Ghinatorral Ourabestos Wrote: How are you, Marvel?

Hey,

I'm sorry I dipped out for a bit.  After Darcy's funeral I had planned to continue playing but part of me felt it would be disrespectful to carry on playing so soon after his death like nothing happened.  He was a very rational person so I'm sure he would've been fine with it but it still didn't seem right.  But not long after the funeral one of my clients I was very fond of that I've supported for 23 years suddenly passed away.  This really felt like a one-two punch.  There's a part of me that feels like some higher power wants me to be miserable.  It has taken almost every family member I have and I know this might sound morbid but it kind of feels like it's now starting to go after my friends.  

Eventually I was ready to play again but then I suddenly lost about 95% of the hearing in my left ear.  I now just hear faint buzzing and the constant loud hum of tinnitus. The doctors have no idea what's going on.  They've check my ears and said they both look perfectly normal.  There's not even a speck of wax!  There is also no real improvement with my right eye.  Oh, and my car also decided to die on me.  So yeah, the fun just keeps on leaving!

Anyways, despite the setbacks and the doctor's appointments I've been really missing the game.  If everyone still wants to play then I will start either tonight or tomorrow. I just got off my overnight shift and really need a nap but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

I totally understand your feeling.  I lost my aunt to breast cancer, then nearly lost my mother to the same form about a year later.  I'm ready to continue though.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon