RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OOC
(11-10-2021, 11:44 AM)Eva Morningtide Wrote: Is there a house rule so can we all ready an action before the initiative? I think by default it's a standard action so we can ready an action just in the first round or in surprise round.
It's good for us if Cyn does it but it can be bad if an enemy does. So we have to prepare for this in future.

It had been so long since I read the 'ready' rules I went back and took another look.  I can now see why you asked if there was a house rule and I guess there is an unofficial rule we use at our table.

Rules as written, you can't ready an action out of combat, and initiative is rolled as soon as combat starts.  But I've always leaned toward what makes sense and what is fun for the characters.  I see no logical reason why someone couldn't ready to shoot before opening a door.  Just like I don't see why someone standing guard in a room while his buddies ransack the place, couldn't ready to shoot anyone who enters the room.  It's basically just an ambush and you're creating a surprise round.  Enemies set up ambushes all the time.  If the enemy happens to be aware of you, then they have actions they can take too.  Like moving out of the line of fire before the door is open or readying their own shot which would then come down to initiative or take cover and ready to shoot.  The DM just has to be fair and have the NPC's react in a way that makes the most sense.  

I will look around for to see if anyone has come up with any house rules for Readying outside of Initiative.  I love me some house rules.  Tongue  But after a quick check online, I see many DM's acknowledge it's not RAW but they allow the same thing.  So for now I'll continue allowing readying outside of combat.
Quote this message in a reply
Does anyone have any thoughts about the vulnerability vs Hardness ruling?
I don't follow fully, as I am not fully up on all the 3.5 and Pathfinder fules as I am with D&D 4.0 and 5.0
So I was chalking it up to rules differences between game systems.
Acctually the robot vulnerability to critical hits is sort of unique

See the Robot entry in the d20pfsrd here https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monste...cts/robot/

Quote:Vulnerable to Critical Hits: Whenever a robot takes extra damage from a critical hit, it must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid being stunned for 1 round. If it makes a successful saving throw, it is staggered for 1 round. The robot remains immune to other sources of the stunned condition.

So it doesn't actually cause x1.5 damage but can be stunned by a critical hit instead

Also, constructs.. which robots are.. not objects., in pathfinder do not get Hardness, though they may get Damage reduction. Only immobile objects get hardness. Usuallya construct made of a hard substance will have a suitable Damage Reduction ability
(12-04-2021, 01:32 AM)DM Vitkyng Wrote: Acctually the robot vulnerability to critical hits is sort of unique

See the Robot entry in the d20pfsrd  here  https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monste...cts/robot/

Quote:Vulnerable to Critical Hits: Whenever a robot takes extra damage from a critical hit, it must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid being stunned for 1 round. If it makes a successful saving throw, it is staggered for 1 round. The robot remains immune to other sources of the stunned condition.

So it doesn't actually cause x1.5 damage but can be stunned by a critical hit instead

Also, constructs.. which robots are.. not objects., in pathfinder do not get Hardness, though they may get Damage reduction.  Only immobile objects get hardness. Usuallya construct made of a hard substance will have a suitable Damage Reduction ability

Well, this robot does have Hardness.  Hardness 10!  That will make it difficult to damage without a critical.  For those who don't know, hardness means you lower all damage by 10 points.  So if you can't do at least 11 damage, you will need a critical to damage the bot.  At least the group have two x3 crit weapons and one x4 crit weapon.

Thank you for finding answer.  I was reading the vulnerability and Hardness sections when I should have been looking at type.  But now that changes things...  Sad  Off to edit...
Hardness 10? OMG and is this for characters of 1st and 2nd levels? Big Grin
It's time to run...
(12-04-2021, 08:54 PM)Eva Morningtide Wrote: Hardness 10? OMG and is this for characters of 1st and 2nd levels? Big Grin
It's time to run...

I know right!  It's a CR3 monster so it would be a tough fight but the group should technically be able to handle.  But they also coupled it with the med bot that can heal!  So if Eva didn't follow it into the room to take it out first it would have just kept healing the bot with the hardness!
I don't think E10 can cause more than 10 dmg with a nat 20 and my nunchuks.
(12-04-2021, 08:54 PM)Eva Morningtide Wrote: Hardness 10? OMG and is this for characters of 1st and 2nd levels? Big Grin
It's time to run...

Nah... I have plans.  When DnD gives you lemons, ya got to make lemonaide.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon