RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OOC
It was suggested by the GM that those of us with stargazer pick up knowledge skills as background skills.

There is a problem with that as most knowledge skills CANNOT be taken as background skills.

As per https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

The following are Adventuring skills so are off limits as background skills.

Knowledge (arcana)
Knowledge (dungeoneering)
Knowledge (local)
Knowledge (nature)
Knowledge (planes)
Knowledge (religion)

Only the following knbowledge skills are available as background skills:

Knowledge (engineering)
Knowledge (geography)
Knowledge (history)
Knowledge (nobility)

This is the reason the Lore skill exists, yoiu canm take Lore on a focussed area of study as a background like Lore (metalic dragons) or Lore (chromatic dragons) rather than Knowledge arcana.
Quote this message in a reply
(09-09-2021, 03:29 AM)Gurkagh Wrote: It was suggested by the GM that those of us with stargazer pick up knowledge skills as background skills.

There is a problem with that as most knowledge skills CANNOT be taken as background skills.

As per https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

The following are Adventuring skills so are off limits as background skills.

Knowledge (arcana)
Knowledge (dungeoneering)
Knowledge (local)
Knowledge (nature)
Knowledge (planes)
Knowledge (religion)

Only the following knbowledge skills are available as background skills:

Knowledge (engineering)
Knowledge (geography)
Knowledge (history)
Knowledge (nobility)

This is the reason the Lore skill exists, yoiu canm take Lore on a focussed area of study as a background like Lore (metalic dragons) or Lore (chromatic dragons) rather than Knowledge arcana.

I understand the background skills don't cover all the Knowledge skills but it does cover Engineering and Geography which are very helpful in a game full of Robots and Alien creatures.  Another issue is some characters only have a few skill points so I figured I'd remind the players that background skills are available in this game.  A lot of people forget they exist and since Gurkagh and E10 are only 20xp away from their next level it would be something to keep in mind when you both advance.  

Lore is a new skill you can take that's also a background skill.  The only problem with it is Lore has a very narrow focus.  So you'd need to figure out something to focus your Lore on that wouldn't be wasteful.  Lore (Torch) might be an idea.

For this game, the background skill Knowledge (engineering) would be helpful with identify a robot’s abilities and weaknesses. Knowledge (engineering) is also used to identify and understand unknown technological objects in a similar manner to how Spellcraft is used to identify the properties of a magic item.  

Knowledge (geography) which happens to be another background skill is used for astronomy and to identify alien monsters’ abilities and weaknesses.  I'm not sure if you need to have the Stargazer to identify Alien monsters or not.  It seems strange to take Geography and suddenly you possibly know the existence of every alien creature in the universe.  You don't get that breadth of knowledge with any other Knowledge skill.  So I'm kind of leaning toward needing Stargazer to identifying Alien creatures.
Sorry for not being around.  I thought I had food poisoning but now after 5 or 6 days I'm wondering if it's the gall bladder acting up on me.  I'll try to get back to posting soon.  It's just so uncomfortable sitting at the PC to type.  A heating pad helped the last time so I'm going to find that and see what happens.
No worries, get well
Get well asap, that's the most important.
Be well... I am still having to go back and forth with computers at mom's for work, so not online when I am at home so have basically been on hiatus from the site for the last tweo weeks. Will be trying to catch up.
Thank you.  I'm not 100% but at least I don't have that intense aching that seems to emanate from back to front.  The heating pad did help so I'm assuming it was a gall bladder attack.  The last time this happened it continued off and on for a couple of months.  It sucks getting old.
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian peeps!!!!!

And I should be posting sometime later today.
Is there a house rule so can we all ready an action before the initiative? I think by default it's a standard action so we can ready an action just in the first round or in surprise round.
It's good for us if Cyn does it but it can be bad if an enemy does. So we have to prepare for this in future.
(11-10-2021, 11:44 AM)Eva Morningtide Wrote: Is there a house rule so can we all ready an action before the initiative? I think by default it's a standard action so we can ready an action just in the first round or in surprise round.
It's good for us if Cyn does it but it can be bad if an enemy does. So we have to prepare for this in future.

The enemy can certainly ready actions but for regular monsters and non important NPC's I only ready actions if they're aware of you or the adventure requires it.   I could have said the robot has been readying its action but it's a medical bot.  It doesn't make sense it would be on high alert.  If they were guard bots, that might be a different story.

I don't know of any house rule for readying actions but as for as I know anyone can ready an action.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon