RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Out of Charges (OOC thread)
They wouldn't realize they'd be losing a top quality archer. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
Hey. I'm back. Sorry I disappeared.

DM Dougfan has been nice enough to let me back into the game. I'll need to spend some time after work tomorrow catching up on your travels. So your fearless leader will soon be over the... stomach bug thing she caught after leaving the trading post. (how undignified)
Yay!!!!  Welcome back!!
Yes, Welcome Back Andra. I need to update the game. Working on that right now.
Ok! All caught up in my reading. I will wait to post until Andra is awake.
Work and upcoming school is sucking me in. Here’s the deal: I accept the premise that you should all get RP xp. I just need to work out how much.
Upon further review, for the time you’ve spent in-game, and the enemies you’ve vanquished, it seems silly to restrict you to continue toiling at first level. Especially since most of the PCs have just 250 xp left till the next level. Therefore, I’m hand-waving that experience. Feel free to level up to 2.
I'm generally loathe to give out experience for roleplay as I feel that RP is an obvious necessity in all RPGs (it's in the name, after all). To put it a different way, we shouldn't have to provide incentive to our players to roleplay, they should feel comfortable and encouraged to do it all on their own. Especially since this AP is VERY heavily involved RP-wise in the first place. You're trying to remove a robber baron from power and become rulers of a fairly large piece of land, for gosh sakes.
I don't usually give role playing xp in my home game.  That's mainly because everything moves much faster so the players don't need it. I do occasionally grant xp for completing goals.

I've been DMing PbP for a long time.  I find that it takes so long to do anything that players can begin to feel like their characters aren't accomplishing anything.  And that's not any insult toward anyone.  It's just the nature of PbP.
I had to end my last post prematurely because I had to leave work.  To continue...

Quote: To put it a different way, we shouldn't have to provide incentive to our players to roleplay, they should feel comfortable and encouraged to do it all on their own.

I don't think anyone purposely takes the time to type out long posts in the hope of getting role playing xp. But if calling it Role Playing xp bothers you, call it something else like maybe Participation XP.  I'm not saying you have to bribe players to participate but it has been 2 years that most of us have been playing and we're still 1st level.  We obviously enjoy the game or we wouldn't be still participating.  

In any case, it was only a suggestion.  I wasn't trying to put any pressure on you, hence the smilie face.  If you feel we still haven't earned a level then I would rather wait before advancing to 2nd.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon