RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
OoC thread - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: D&D 3rd Edition (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: The Company of Stalwart Adventurers (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=65)
+---- Thread: OoC thread (/showthread.php?tid=83)

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 05-13-2021

(05-12-2021, 09:17 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: Right.  Not every DM allows buyoffs. 

I'm not a fan of Level Adjustments so I allow buy offs.  I find they're often too punitive.  They often make characters too squishy in the beginning and by the time the character reaches higher levels the LA aren't worth it.  Imagine giving up future 9th level spells just so you can use a weapon 1 size larger which lets you do on average maybe +2 hit points of damage more per strike.  Dodgy  Usually I try to dissuade people from taking races with Level Adjustments but I was kind of happy Crozar chose a Crobuzon specific race.  There are races whose abilities are strong enough where I don't feel so bad that they have Level Adjustments.  Like any race with a solid Spell Resistance, like Drow.

(05-13-2021, 04:50 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 04:47 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: Both Tomeal and Nang are completed.  

For Tomeal, I used Fractional Save bonuses which bumped him from a Reflex and Will Save of +1 to a +2.  Every little bit counts.  He also now has Divine Grace which boosts his Saves by +3 and he now has Lay on Hands.  It's only 6 points of healing but it's a Supernatural ability so no Torque checks!  Unfortunately he rolled a 1 for hit points.   Dodgy  Oh, but he now gets TWO attacks!   Cool

Nang didn't gain any bonuses to attacks or saves.  He picked up Spontaneous Summoning Feat and a couple of new spells.  His touch of Healing now heals +9 hit points.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

This is also where Selina casts Tyche's Touch on him before bed.

Awesome spell!  

Maybe by 9th level you can pick up Chain Spell so you can cast it on everyone.  Chain spell is also great for Greater Magic weapon!  I have an Archivist of questionable character who travels with her Necromancer sister.  She supplies the undead and I give the best creatures Greater Magical weapons.   Big Grin

RE: OoC thread - Selina Parcellus - 05-13-2021

Big fan of Tyche's Touch, yeah. Then again, Clerics have, in my humble opinion, the best array of spells in the game. And they don't have to be cheesy like Extended Creeping Cold, they're just naturally good, like Divine Power and Righteous Might. And those are just the OG stuff.

RE: OoC thread - Kubo - 05-13-2021

Kubo has gained another level of Ranger, which gives him the Endurance Feat.
[1d8+3]=2+3=5, so the minimum for ranger (1/2+1) is 5 +3 = 8 HP gained.
Kubo is a Level 4 Character, Barbaian1, Ranger 3 [OoC: I am not sure how any thing else changes skill or feat wise and I am looking up the Fractional saves]

trying to rap my head around the Fractional BAB and Saves Math
BAB
so Barb (D12HD) =+1/lvl BAB, and Ranger (D8HD) =+3/4 /lvl BAB
Therefore Kubo BAB = 1 + (3/4*3) = 1 + 2.25 = 3.25 or 3 rounded down [OoC:is that right?]

Saves
Fort = Barb =(Good or +1/2/lvl), Ranger = (Good or 1/2/lvl) = 1/2 (Barb) + (1/2*3(Ranger))= .5+1.5= 2 +3(Con) = 5
REF = Barb= (Poor or 1/3/lvl), Ranger = (Good or 1/2/lvl) = 1/3 (Barb) + (1/2*3(Ranger)) = 1/3 + 1.5= 1.83 rounds to 2 = 2+4(DEX)=6
WIL = Barb = (poor or 1/3/lvl), Ranger = (Poor or 1/3/lvl) = 1/3 (Barb) + (1/3*3(Ranger))= 1/3*4 = 1.33 rounds to 1 +1(Wis) = 2
[OoC:Ihope my math is correct]

[OoC: do I gain feats by 1 every 3 character levels, or by every 3 class levels?]

RE: OoC thread - Selina Parcellus - 05-13-2021

Every odd level, I think.

And for fractional stuff, it’s not based on HD because the BAB aren’t always based on that. Pathfinder did that to smooth things out a bit. You round down at the end to get your actual number, but keep the fractional number somewhere for the next level you gain.

(05-13-2021, 04:01 PM)Kubo Wrote: trying to rap my head around the Fractional BAB and Saves Math
BAB
so Barb (D12HD) =+1/lvl BAB, and Ranger (D8HD) =+3/4 /lvl BAB
Therefore Kubo BAB = 1 + (3/4*3) = 1 + 2.25 = 3.25 or 3 rounded down [OoC:is that right?]

Saves
Fort = Barb =(Good or +1/2/lvl), Ranger = (Good or 1/2/lvl) = 1/2 (Barb) + (1/2*3(Ranger))= .5+1.5= 2 +3(Con) = 5
REF = Barb= (Poor or 1/3/lvl), Ranger = (Good or 1/2/lvl) = 1/3 (Barb) + (1/2*3(Ranger)) = 1/3 + 1.5= 1.83 rounds to 2 = 2+4(DEX)=6
WIL = Barb = (poor or 1/3/lvl), Ranger = (Poor or 1/3/lvl) = 1/3 (Barb) + (1/3*3(Ranger))= 1/3*4 = 1.33 rounds to 1 +1(Wis) = 2
[OoC:Ihope my math is correct]

Your BAB won't change.  Both classes have Good Attack bonuses.  So Barbarian 1 + Ranger 3 = +4 BAB

It's your saves where you MIGHT see a change.

Fortitude: Barbarian Good + Ranger Good
Reflex: Barbarian poor + Ranger Good
Will: Barbarian poor + Ranger Poor

Fortitude: Bar 2.5 + Ran 3.5 = 6 + Con 3 = 9
Reflex: Bar 1/3 + Ran 3.5 = 3 (3.83333333333) + Dex 4 = 7
Will: Bar 1/3 + Ran 1 = 1 (1 and 1/3) + Will 1 = 2

Unfortunately there isn't any change between just adding both classes together and the Fractional system.  That doesn't mean there won't be a change at later levels like there was for Tomeal. 

In Kubo's case, just adding the Fortitude bonuses together would give him a +5 (+8 with con).  But using Fractional bonus his Fortitude is bumped up by one to +6 (+9 with con).   Reflex and Will doesn't change.

A example of the fractional system to show why it's needed is, lets say you multi-class as a Cleric 1, Rogue 1, Wizard 1, Druid 1.  (It's ridiculous but stay with me.)  That character would still have a BAB +0 even though he's a 4th level character.  Using the fractional system his BAB would be 2.75 (round down to +2).  If he were to add another class such as Scout his BAB would be (2.75 + 0.75 = 3.5) +3 rather than +0.  So depending upon your build, it can really help you out. 

RE Feats:  You gain a bonus Feat every odd Character level instead of every 3 levels like you would by normal rules.  You are a 4th level character so you won't gain a feat until you gain 1 more level in any class.

Thanks for the help and clarifications. Kubo is updated now!

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 05-14-2021

If everyone is done upgrading their character.  Feel free to post.  I believe Selina was going to ask the old woman if you can stay the night?