RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
OoC thread - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Fantasy Games (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: D&D 3rd Edition (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: The Company of Stalwart Adventurers (GM Marvel) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=65)
+---- Thread: OoC thread (/showthread.php?tid=83)

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 09-23-2019

(09-23-2019, 07:35 PM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: 700'???  And they still got the mast with a lightning bolt?  Then it must be something else because lightning bolt is a 120' line effect.

You are correct, my original description was...

Quote:Moments later the sky is lit up for instant when a bolt of lightning strikes the mast, scorching and cracking it down the center.

I did not say the mast was struck with a 'lightning bolt' spell nor did I describe from which direction the bolt of lightning came from.  I just described that the sky lit up.  It was either a long ranged spell or some other shenanigans.

RE: OoC thread - DM Vitkyng - 09-23-2019

Betimi posted her opinion IC

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 09-28-2019

Regarding Figments.  I do have an issue about the, 'you cannot use it to conceal a trap door,' and I think that will have to be adjudicated on a case by case basis.  What I think they are saying is, you couldn't turn a trap door into iron bars but you could, if there was enough space, cover the trap door with shrubs.  Or you couldn't turn a kobold into a halfling but you could hide a Kobold in a bush that was larger than him or create a wall for someone to hide behind.

Questions?  Comments?  Do you guys agree or disagree?

RE: OoC thread - Ningalu Baal'urki - 09-28-2019

(09-28-2019, 06:11 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: Regarding Figments.  I do have an issue about the, 'you cannot use it to conceal a trap door,' and I think that will have to be adjudicated on a case by case basis.  What I think they are saying is, you couldn't turn a trap door into iron bars but you could, if there was enough space, cover the trap door with shrubs.  Or you couldn't turn a kobold into a halfling but you could hide a Kobold in a bush that was larger than him or create a wall for someone to hide behind.

Questions?  Comments?  Do you guys agree or disagree?

Agree.

and in the case of my rope netting illusion the intent was to create concealment so there is some protection from missile fire.  Does it work for that?

RE: OoC thread - Selina Parcellus - 09-29-2019

If I was DM, I feel it would work until the moment an arrow or some such struck it the first time and sank right through. Figments tend to be disbelieve-able.

Also...

Just letting everyone know, a lot is going on. In addition to the class I'm taking, and still being full-time at work, there a sequence of holidays coming up that's threatening to throw my entire life into disarray. Wanted to keep everyone posted.

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 10-09-2019

(09-29-2019, 06:41 AM)Selina Parcellus Wrote: If I was DM, I feel it would work until the moment an arrow or some such struck it the first time and sank right through.  Figments tend to be disbelieve-able.

I agree.  As soon as someone interacts with the illusion which includes attacking or studying it, they would get a save throw disbelieve.  As soon as they disbelieve they know the Figment is fake and can see a faint outline of the illusion.  But if they have proof the illusion is false like falling through an illusionary floor, the save is automatic.

Quote:From pages 173-174 of the Player's Handbook:

Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief ): Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion. For example, if a party encounters a section of illusory floor, the character in the lead would receive a saving throw if she stopped and studied the floor or if she probed the floor.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline. For example, a character making a successful saving throw against a figment of an illusory section of floor knows the "floor" isn't safe to walk on and can see what lies below (light permitting), but he or she can still note where the figment lies.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real needs no saving throw. A character who falls through a section of illusory floor into a pit knows something is amiss, as does one who spends a few rounds poking at the same illusion. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.

Quote:From Rules of the Game: All about Illusions

If you make a successful saving throw against an illusion effect and disbelieve it, you stop perceiving the illusion and it has no effect on you at all. Illusions from the figment or glamer subschools, however, remain behind as faint, translucent outlines even after you successfully disbelieve them. These see-through remnants have no effects on you at all, but serve to remind you that the illusion is there. It also reminds you of those things with which other less perceptive individuals might have to deal. The rules use an illusory section of floor (presumably a figment) as an example. If you have disbelieved the illusion, you see the floor (light permitting) as it is; that is, with a gaping hole in it. You also see the outlines of the illusion, however, which can prove handy when an unsuspecting ally comes on the scene. 
The rules don't say what happens if you successfully disbelieve a figment or glamer that doesn't have a visual element. It's a safe bet, however, that you remain aware of the figment or glamer without being affected or hindered in any way.

RE: OoC thread - Selina Parcellus - 10-17-2019

(10-09-2019, 02:42 AM)GM Marvel Wrote: I agree.  As soon as someone interacts with the illusion which includes attacking or studying it, they would get a save throw disbelieve.  As soon as they disbelieve they know the Figment is fake and can see a faint outline of the illusion.  But if they have proof the illusion is false like falling through an illusionary floor, the save is automatic.
True...except gaining an automatic save as you're falling to your death is sorta moot Tongue

Onto stuff I have thoughts about: this choice.

I'm leaning heavily towards leaving the soldiers on the ship if it keeps them safer (lighter ship = more speed). They might object (especially since Selina is acting commander), but Selina struggles with ordering people into uncertainty. It's probably the one thing missing from her capabilities as a leader: the Loneliness of Leadership.

RE: OoC thread - GM Marvel - 10-22-2019

I get that people get busy but I've been waiting for 2 weeks for anyone to post and no one has.  I've seen posts in another game so I know players are around.  It's starting to make me come to the conclusion that you guys aren't interested in playing any more.  I don't want to drag out a game that no one is enjoying so please let me know if you want to continue.  If you do then I will happily continue.  But if you don't then I can close the game so no one's time is being wasted on keeping a game alive that no one wants to play.

Let me know,

thanks.

RE: OoC thread - Betimi - 10-23-2019

Still on and you know it. I love my character. Just life having it's way with me.

RE: OoC thread - Selina Parcellus - 10-23-2019

I just posted in this thread my thoughts regarding Selina's potential choice. I'm still not sure what to do.