RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked
[IC] The Dwarven Ruins - Printable Version

+- RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com)
+-- Forum: Admin Discussions (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Archive (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=123)
+---- Forum: Keeper of the Seven Keys (DM Surranó) (https://forums.rpgaddicts.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: [IC] The Dwarven Ruins (/showthread.php?tid=291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Torin - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 08:28 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: Morning stars have wooden shafts in my recognition and granite is hard but why not create the water inside the waterskins themselves? (effect does not need to be a single receptacle). You can decrease the caster level so that you won't be flooded but otherwise any excess water that don't fit into the available containers will spill over and cover the floor.

Okay. Torin created the water inside the waterskins.

OOC - I choose the adamantine because I think it can use to destroy almost everything (ignore hardness less then 20). In this situation I change Torin's adamantine morningstar to a normal magical morningstar and give him an adamantine dagger post your permission. Of course "he will pay this change".

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - DM Surranó - 06-03-2016

The problem is not the adamantine head but the wooden shaft. It's not designed for breaking the surface of several feet thickness of rock. You may try it but calculate with the likelihood of the shaft breaking after every single blow, similar to a low-end mason hammer. A mace, on the other hand, is metal tip-to-toe, like a quality mason hammer.

Similarly, a battle axe cannot be used to cut trees because it's supposed to cut deep and not to cut wide.

EDIT: reviewed the weights and pictures (both historical and those in PHB). The morning star is lighter because it has a wooden shaft. Both the heavy and light maces have iron (or whatever metallic) shafts. So updated text above accordingly.

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - DM Surranó - 06-08-2016

OOC - are you guys waiting for me to resolve what happens during your rest?

Sixteen hours pass without any events worth mentioning. Now both Portho and Torin are fully rested, well fed and in appropriate condition to visit a royal wedding. Well, maybe a bit more shabby.

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Torin - 06-14-2016

(06-03-2016, 10:27 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: The problem is not the adamantine head but the wooden shaft. It's not designed for breaking the surface of several feet thickness of rock. You may try it but calculate with the likelihood of the shaft breaking after every single blow, similar to a low-end mason hammer. A mace, on the other hand, is metal tip-to-toe, like a quality mason hammer.

Similarly, a battle axe cannot be used to cut trees because it's supposed to cut deep and not to cut wide.

EDIT: reviewed the weights and pictures (both historical and those in PHB). The morning star is lighter because it has a wooden shaft. Both the heavy and light maces have iron (or whatever metallic) shafts. So updated text above accordingly.

OOC - I don't agree with you about the interpretation of the official rules in the adamantine topic. But you are the  DM, so you can change the rules and the adamantine weapons can easily violate the DM's plans. So I understand why do you don't want to allow me this kind of using and I stop the dispute here.
Chopping Down Doors

(06-08-2016, 11:18 PM)DM Surranó Wrote: OOC - are you guys waiting for me to resolve what happens during your rest?
Sixteen hours pass without any events worth mentioning. Now both Portho and Torin are fully rested, well fed and in appropriate condition to visit a royal wedding. Well, maybe a bit more shabby.
OOC - Yes I was waiting for you.

So, are you ready to take our oath in a Zone of Truth spell? After this I will tell everything about my mission, goals, ...

OOC - @Portho: If you didn't want to cheat, betray, ... Torin and his Lady, then we can skip this and say that the PCs sworn an oath to each other.

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Portho Nihilbuck - 06-15-2016

[OoC thus far Portho has been completely honest, and has no intention of betraying Torin, unless Torin proves to be dangerous and untrustworthy himself. He has even been honest about his frustration at Torin demanding he tell his entire story, but being unwilling to share ANY details of his own past. He even tells Torin this in the truth spell. He does not yet trust Torin, but he intends no harm to Torin. He will be happy if Torin can guide him to the surface, and they can go their separate ways]

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Torin - 06-15-2016

OOC - I changed back Torin's equipments.

After the Zone of Truth, he tells his story in briefly:
He was born in Dharlodir which is a medium deep dwarven town in the Upperdark. Torin have got one older brother (Rotni) and three older sister (Nisnar, Yada and Tarna). He was a late child and his mother is died in childbirth. When he were born, he was blessed by Tariel (Knight of Lirr).

It was a large age difference between him and his siblings, so Torin have got "two" father and three surrogate mothers. His "mothers" were protected him from everything and indulging him, but if he did bad things in his childhood, then he had got his well-deserved punishment from his father. So he became a autonomous but good-hearted young.
He was much smarter than his contemporaries, but he was also wise to not flaunt with his gift. His father (Rongrim) was a good smith so there was a straight way to Torin to became a smith, but he always know that he was destined for a higher purpose.

About ten years ago, his father was ill and Rotni also couldn't go with the caravan to the Mantol-Derith (trading city in Upperdark / Northdark). Rongrim had no other choice than to send Torin with the goods. Torin suffered a nasty ambush during his first big trip. Some wandering goblins attacked the caravan. He nearly died in this ambush, but Tariel appeared and saved his life.

After this meeting Torin realized that his destiny is to serve Lirr as her priest. Wander the Abeir-Toril searching for knowledge,  news, lore, poetry, historical tales, magic, and works of art. Sneak into lands controlled by oppressive rulers, seeking to rescue items of interest that are in danger of being destroyed out of either ignorance or malice. Torin send a message to his father, that he is fine and finally he found his destiny. So he can't continue to work as a smith and he can't go to back to Dharlodir.

After ten years trip Torin reach the World Above in the Sword Mountains. He is traveling south because he thinks that way he can find the lost Lexicon of the Sagely Chameleon.

Due to his light sensitivity he prefers to travel from dusk to dawn and seek refuge in small towns or in the shade of woods (sometimes cliffs or even caves) for the daytime rest. He's crossed many villages on the road and took part on several festival nights, celebrations with poetry, music and songs and took care to jot down as many of these texts as possible.

One day he had a look at the many sheets of scribbled notes he'd collected and started to reorganise them in a clean textbook. After the first page had been assembled, a strange light of rainbow hues fell on the initials in front of the lines. He looked harder and from the initials he deciphered the word "Seer". Now, is that a coincidence? He quickly looked for all the texts that he collected the same night and after a bit of reorganisation he received this text:

"Of the young Seer's hand"

What may it be? Excited he continued the assembling of text day after day and finally got the following text:

"Guided by spells
Of the young Seer's hand
You're suffering pain
Only steel can stand"

He spent most of the next tenday in prayers, being certain that this must be a divine message. One night he dreamt of a strange place, full with glossy furniture and a glass table. Atop the table there was an ornate box floating mid-air. The box was opened by three people whose faces he couldn't make out. They retrieved a cylindrical object, much like a scroll case but waaaay thicker; it was about six inches in diameter opposed to the usual size of 1.5 to 2 inches. The cover was of fine leather and bore an inscription he couldn't make out.

The last thing he remembered from his dream was a lady's soft voice echoing in his mind: "Find the Seer of Visions beneath the Waterdhavian sewers."

That's how he ended up in the sewers of Waterdeep and after a long fight through tunnels infested by kobolds, gnolls and monstrous humanoids with eagle heads and sorcerer powers; he discovered a ruin that must have been of dwarven origin.

There he stood, guided by the Lorekeeper's messages.

Fortunately he has got the proper tool to the ruins. He got his adamantine morningstar and carefully started to clean the corridor.

A hammer or a pick would've certainly done a better job but with some meticulous labour Torin managed to move some rocks to find a peephole through the rubble. As much as he could tell there seemed to be a corridor running west-east on the other side of the rubble. However, the stones were too loose and if he'd continued digging more of the ceiling may have collapsed and filled what had just been cleaned up previously.

- So this was my story and this is my holy mission. Go back to the runic door, I will check it again.

In the runic door he casts an Identify spell to know everything about it.
("The stone door also emanates a strong magic aura but that's beyond the dwarven cleric's ability to recognise.")

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - DM Surranó - 06-16-2016

Torin spends an hour chanting while Portho (assumably) watches his back. After reciting Lirr's power he learns that the magic effect is an unusual form of Greater Teleport where you not taken to the target, rather a shortcut is presented along which you can walk there in a short time.

To activate the portal you need one of eight stone portal keys; the one that is missing from the frame; in this case the stone necklace. Where to find it is not revealed by Lirr.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Torin - 06-16-2016

- This is a magical portal. An unusual form of Greater Teleport where you not taken to the target, rather a shortcut is presented along which you can walk there in a short time. To activate the portal you need one of eight stone portal keys; the one that is missing from the frame; in this case the stone necklace.

- I will check the pantry.

He casts another Identify spell (ooc - from his 3rd level domain slot) to know everything about the pantry.

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - DM Surranó - 06-16-2016

Another hour passes. The pantry purifies stake or rotten food, five reasons at a time. It may have a limited number uses left though.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

RE: The Dwarven Ruins - Torin - 06-16-2016

ooc - can you explain what do you mean in word stake, because I only found indifferent translates.

So it can produce the same effect as Torin's Purify food and drink cantrip and have got only a few uses. If I had right then the Identify spell revals the exact number of charges.

Torin shares this info with Portho.
- I think we doesn't need it. We can left it to somebody who really needs it.