RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Dohwar, a Giff, and a Satyr walk into a bar [IC Thread]
Sylvan seems like a rather rare language, so Melville will willing teacvh Bazz dohwar, but he would rather learn semaphore (flag signalling), or morse code (for light/mirror signalling) if anyone on the ship has those. If not he would like to learn rastipede, even if he would not be able to speak it he wants to unerstand it and read it.
Quote this message in a reply
[[I don't have a list of all of the languages pulled together yet, I'll have this later today.  Threadvine and Ashheart can help teach you semaphore.  Ashheart also knows light code.]]
Anders speaks Common, Dwavish, Elvish, and Orcish
Annabelle knows Common, Elvish, and Thieves Cant
Cash speaks Common, Elvish and Insect Speech
Bill speaks Common, Elvish and Gromman/Hadozee
Threadvine speaks Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Semaphore, and Infernal
Ashheart is the polyglot, speaking Dwarvish, Orcish, Common, Undercommon, Elvish, Semaphore, Light Code, Gnomish, Infernal, and Insect Speech
Slick can speak Gnomish, Common, Undercommon, and Thieves Cant
Royce speaks Common, Giant, and Orcish
Chick speaks Common, Insect Speech, and Primordial
[OoC: I can't log in as Rupert right now, as the system is not accepting my log in credentials for that character account]
Rupert would gladly spend time with Threadvine and Asheart brushing up on and learning Semaphore and Lightcode.
(03-04-2021, 01:37 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote: [[I don't have a list of all of the languages pulled together yet, I'll have this later today.  Threadvine and Ashheart can help teach you semaphore.  Ashheart also knows light code.]]

Melville will attempt to learn semaphore first,, while willingly teaching Bazz dohwar if Bazz desires.
Quote:Resources. Receiving Training in a language or tool typically takes at least ten workweeks, but this time is reduced by a number of workweeks equal to the character’s Intelligence modifier (an Intelligence penalty doesn’t increase the time needed). Someone must be on the ship that can act as an instructor. The instructor must spend the downtime teaching, but can be learning something from the student at the same time.

Above is the rules on Training during downtime.  You can expend you downtime on one language (I mean you could be studying multiple languages at once, but have to dedicate each week to one language in particular.  Your instructor also has to dedicate their downtime week to teaching it to you, although they can be learning something from you as well.

Melville and Rupert have both indicated interest in learning light code, but there is only one instructor for that (currently).  Bazz and Melville could teach each other Sylvan and Dohwar, or Ashheart can work with either Melville or Rupert on teaching light code and learning their native language, but Melville can't do both, at least not in the same week.

With that being said, whom is wanting to start learning what from whom?
Rupert will offer to learn semaphore, and can teach Giff and Dwarven.
(03-05-2021, 03:42 PM)Rupert Gladestone Wrote: Rupert will offer to learn semaphore, and can teach

Threadvine would be happy to teach you semaphore in exchange for learning Giff.  It will take Rupert 10 weeks to learn it, and it will take Threadvine 9 weeks of downtime to learn Giff.
Melville wants to learn semaphore mainly, but since Threadvine is teaching that to rupert he will ask Ashheart if he can learn light code.
(03-05-2021, 05:54 PM)Melville Wrote: Melville wants to learn semaphore mainly, but since Threadvine is teaching that to rupert he will ask Ashheart if he can learn light code.

Actually thinking about language classes I have taken I would say that one instructor can cover up to 5 students, although a given character can only spend a downtime week towards one specific language.

That being said, Threadvine is learning Giff from Rupert and teaching Semaphore.  All three of you can learn semaphore from him, or Bazz can learn Dohwar from Melville while Melville learns Semaphore from Threadvine or Light Code from Ashheart.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon