RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Dohwar, a Giff, and a Satyr walk into a bar [IC Thread]
(01-15-2021, 02:35 PM)Melville Wrote: Not able to directly see the stern castle, but knowing there are tons of crew there, Melville follows Threadvine as far as he can, 25'.    With a single utterance he casts [i]Mind Sliver[/i ] at the minotaur skeleton on the forecastle.

Intelligence save vs DC or take 1d6 mental damage and suffer 1d4 penalty of it's next save.
Mind sliver Damage [1d6] = 3;  Next save penalty [1d4] = 4

"It might be easier to trip up now, Captain."

Unfortunately Threadvine ran out of movement at the top of the forecastle stairs, which means he blocks Melville from getting to the top of the stairs where he would have clear visibility of the minotaur skeleton.  He is literally at that 25' square for Melville and while you can pass through allies, you can't share a square with them typically.  Do you need line of sight for Mind Sliver?  You definitely know that it is up there if you just need range, but if you need to see it, you cannot get into position to do so until Threadvine moves.  You could hold your turn until he moves, but that will just move you in the initiative order so still effectively cost you your turn in round 2.  Would you like to do something else?
Quote this message in a reply
(01-15-2021, 03:50 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 02:35 PM)Melville Wrote: Not able to directly see the stern castle, but knowing there are tons of crew there, Melville follows Threadvine as far as he can, 25'.    With a single utterance he casts [i]Mind Sliver[/i ] at the minotaur skeleton on the forecastle.

Intelligence save vs DC or take 1d6 mental damage and suffer 1d4 penalty of it's next save.

Unfortunately Threadvine ran out of movement at the top of the forecastle stairs, which means he blocks Melville from getting to the top of the stairs where he would have clear visibility of the minotaur skeleton.  He is literally at that 25' square for Melville and while you can pass through allies, you can't share a square with them typically.  Do you need line of sight for Mind Sliver?  You definitely know that it is up there if you just need range, but if you need to see it, you cannot get into position to do so until Threadvine moves.  You could hold your turn until he moves, but that will just move you in the initiative order so still effectively cost you your turn in round 2.  Would you like to do something else?

Oh I was thinking I woulkd be able to see it from between threadvines legs, even just it's head because it is so large, if not I will still move to there, but then Magic Missile the minotaur on the aft forecastle.

Magic Missile [3d4+3] = 5+3 = 8
(01-15-2021, 04:00 PM)Melville Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 03:50 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote:

Oh I was thinking I woulkd be able to see it from between threadvines legs, even just it's head because it is so large, if not I will still move to there, but then Magic Missile the minotaur on the aft forecastle.

Magic Missile [3d4+3] = 5+3 = 8

Hadn't thought of that take on it.  There wouldn't be enough visibility for a normal ranged shot but since you just need a glance to target the spell, I could give you that.  Which attack would you prefer, I'll let you do either from where you are.
The mind sliver, the potential debuff might bne more effecteve than the damage on such a tanky foe.
Melville starts up the stairs, and about half-way up, blocked from proceeding by Captain Threadvine, is able to jump up instinctually flapping his free wing to get just enough height to peak the top of the minotaur skeleton's head. He quickly casts a shard of psionically driven energy at the boney protuberance, only to see the nearly mindless creature shrug it off {A Nat 20 on the save}

Chick comes bolting up the stairs, assesses the situation and makes the same call that Melville did.  Seeing that the stairs are blocked however, she attempts to jump and climb up to the forecastle, a difficult task for an insectoid centaur indeed. {DC 20 athletics or acrobatics check on which she got a total of 12}

{OOC: Top of Round 3, Bazz it is your turn again.  I will have a new round post up in a couple of hours when I can update the map.}
[Bonus Action:]  
Bazz utters a single word and life giving energy fills the Giff.  Healing Word: [1d4+4] = 1+4 = 5Rolleyes [If I'm not mistaken, Rupert should now be at 5 hit points.]

"Be careful, big guy.  The cow's standing above you!"

Bazz then points at the Minotaur again and fires another Eldritch Blast!  
Eldritch Blast: [1d20+6] = 14+6 = 20, Damage: [1d10] = 4; I think that's a hit!

Then Bazz will step behind the cannon to allow Royce to easily move passed him.  [As part of that movement can Bazz use his free interact with object, to turn the cannon toward the minotaur? ]
Round 3
Bazz - 19
Slick - 18
Minotaur Skeletons - 16
Threadvine - 13
Annabelle -12
Cash - 9
Bill - 7
Anders - 7
Royce - 6
Rupert - 5
Ashheart - 4
Melville - 3
Chick - 1

Bazz blasts the bulky skeleton with eldritch force, further cracking the mighty pelvis, yet the undead bastard still won't drop.  Bazz turns the cannon to point it in the direction of the skeleton.  Bill is positioned in such a way that he functionally gives the skeleton half-cover.  Bazz can give me a perception check, please.

Slick continues to bleed. {8 on the death save. 1 success and 1 failure}

The stern minotaur does not seem to notice Rupert's return to consciousness and brings it's greataxe down on Bill, breaking through his chainmail and leaving him with a nasty chest wound. {22 to hit, 10 damage}  The minotaur on the stern, having been rocked by Cash's greatsword, proves that it can give as good as it can take.  It drops the pitted and rusty axe down on Cash's exposed thorax, cracking chitinous plates {23 to hit, 23 damage} and causing the rastipede's bluish-green blood to flow heavily.

Threadvine moves forward, but skirts around the main mast to get on the same side of the skeleton as Cash.  With a flurry of strikes and blows from his sword and scimitar, the captain wails on the bony monster, simultaneously dealing damage and staggering the massive thing backwards.  In a flashy show of martial prowess, the captain lands a final blow his  longsword and kicks hard at the thing's sternum.  Even as it crumbles to dust it staggers and falls over the railing. {Two handed attack with 16 and 24 to hit, dealing a total of 15 points of damage; Extra Attack with 24 to hit again dealing 9 more damage; Battlemaster manuever: Pushing attack to add 6 more damage and move the Minotaur 15 feet away from him}

Annabelle had already been switch to her shortbow when Threadvine removed the thread, so she quickly pivots and drops an arror into the shoulder blade of the minotaur looming over Rupert. {25 to hit for 8 damage.  Why do I never roll this good when I am playing a character?}

Cash also drops his greatsword and pulls out a longbow.  As he draws back the string, dark tendrils of mystical energy wreathe the arrow in ominous power.  He assuredly takes aim and releases.  The magical arrow flashes past the minotaur with a moan like a dying soul and vanishes into the darkness beyond the ship.  Cash's antennae twitch in obvious irritation. {Archery focused fighter finally gets to do a cool trick and rolls a Nat 1}

Bill squares up his stance and takes another mighty blow with his pike, but harmless skitters the blade off the head of the minotaur's axe. {Great Weapon Mastery swing rolled a 12-5 to miss}

Anders smiles down in the helm room to see the tide of the fight firmly turn in the crew's favor.  She says her prayer again and another resonant peal from the bells of the stars rolls across the deck.  This time, however, the tone causes some of the bones in the minotaur to crack and shatter. {Toll the dead for 5 points of damage}

Royce nods to Bazz as he steps past him and into position to not only take an attack on the minotaur, but to also throw his shield over Rupert if necessary.  The uppercut he manages with his longsword fortunately removes the threat however, as he breaks the spine of the animate antagonist and it collapses into a pile among Rupert and Slick's blood. {23 to hit for 10 damage}

{All threats are neutralized so we will be dropping out of combat.  Slick is still down and bleeding on the floor, I'm not going to bother with further map updates unless combat breaks out again.  I really thought Rupert was going to get in the the "returned from the dead killing blow" on that last one.  My rolls for this fight have only been ice or fire it seems.}

Ashheart rushes up the stern stairwell and seeing Slick still down asks Bazz, "Do you have any healing left?  If not, I can stablize her."

Royce and Bill offer hands to help Rupert up.  "Glad you saw them coming in.  If they had gotten the drop on us, that might have turned out very bad," Bill says with a grin as you stand.

The captain, still getting his breath back looks over the forecastle, sees that no one is in danger and calls to the stern, "Everyone handled?"
"Captain, I think for the time being you and i need to it together for a bit.  A merger to link our minds. Some faster communication might help. Imagine if you and Asheart had been unable to hear the attack from the hold."

Quote:Merger Link. Over the course of a long rest you can establish a mental connection with one willing creature that has an Intelligence of 6 or higher. While forming the link the target must remain in your presence at all times. You can then communicate telepathically with your linked partner as long as you are on the same plane of existence or until either of you finish your next long rest.
[OoC: I have Proficiency in Perception so I think I get my Proficiency bonus or +2 added to my Wisdom +1 bonus for a total of +3 bonus.

Perception: [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15
(01-15-2021, 11:45 PM)Bazzalan Horngrin Wrote: [OoC: I have Proficiency in Perception so I think I get my Proficiency bonus or +2 added to my Wisdom +1 bonus for a total of +3 bonus.

Perception: [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15

Not that it matters at this point, but as Bazz turned the cannon towards the minotaur skeleton he would have noticed that it was not loaded.

Everyone can give themselves 100 xp for the fight.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon