RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Dohwar, a Giff, and a Satyr walk into a bar [IC Thread]
[OoC: Does a Forum search...  ]

"Why yes, I believe I might know a little bit about them.  Why do you ask?"
Quote this message in a reply
[OoC: if he can Rupert will take 10 on each check, with would give him a fifteen for each check]
Otherwise Check 1: Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 14+5 = 19
Check 2: Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16
Check 3 (with advantage): Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6, and Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8 [ please oh please let him have used the take 10]
(01-07-2021, 09:31 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 04:07 AM)Melville Wrote: "Ay aye mate Ashheart."

Being immune to the effects of alcool, Melville is tired but not suffering.

He dons his  coat quickly and waddles to the helm to check his rotation.  He will pause long enough for Baz to be ready and accompany him.

Melville and Bazz head up to the main deck, but Bazz indicates that he is going to stop by galley first so Melville makes his way to the helm room at the back of the ship alone.  Rrr'chk'chk is setting up a long and low bench next to the helm.  At the back of the room is a long table with a clever locking tool holder that contains a full set of navigator's and cartographer's tools.  Mounted on the wall above the table is a cabinet made up of small doors.  A rope ladder hangs from the ceiling in front of the cabinet and a stool is set in front of the table.  Melville can tell that both the rope ladder and the brackets with which to secure the stool to the table in several places are new construction.  

Chick looks up as she finishes snapping the straps in the floor to hold her bench in place and says, "The Captain was in here this morning setting that up to make it easier for you to use the navigation charts and such.  The roster is on the table.  I have the first shift, then you, then Anders, then Bazz." She pops a small piece of unidentifiable fruit between her mandibles and settles herself down on the bench.

"Thank you Chick, he will have my thanks when I see him.  How long is each rotation? So that I know when to relieve you. And is there anything I can bring you during your rotation, or when I come relieve you?" Do you happen to know our first destination, so I can get started plotting our course?"
(01-08-2021, 03:46 AM)Bazzalan Horngrin Wrote: [OoC: Does a Forum search...  ]

"They are the big prize for this trip." he says, between sips of tea. "As you probably know, Elder artifacts and relics are worth tons of cash to the right collectors.  I have contacts with a couple of them, and I've put together a web of rumors, leads, partial maps and other stuff that I think is going to take us to one of the largest collections of Junta relics ever."  As he speaks he finishes off the tea and points to the scroll he was reading for emphasis.  "Problem is that most of the route is going to be through completely unknown territory, or areas so little explored that they may as well be unknown.  I even paid for a Divination while we were in port on if now was the time to act on it.  The result was wishy-washy, but more favorable than it has been in the past."  

He picks up the scroll and holds it up in front of Bazz, pointing to an odd three star design at both the top and bottom of the scroll. Illegible, but thick and oddly sinister, script fills the rest of the scroll.  Just looking at the papyrus, Bazz can tell that this scroll is very old, probably a couple hundred years at least.  "This symbol is a key part of the Elder's religion and society.  Something called the Eternal Lotus, best as the sages can tell me.  I would appreciate if you could spend some of your downtime going back over all the stories and whatever that you know, to see if you have heard anything before that may hold some kind of clue."
(01-08-2021, 04:53 AM)Rupert Gladestone Wrote: [OoC: if he can Rupert will take 10 on each check, with would give him a fifteen for each check]
Check 3 (with advantage): Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6, and Perception Check = [1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8 [ please oh please let him have used the take 10]

[OOC: No taking 10, although the DC of this check is pretty low.]

Looking over all of the weapons, Rupert can tell that Cash has spent a fair amount of idle time focused on the condition of these weapons.  The strings and cords are all freshly waxed, and the spars of both the catapult and jettison have been sanded to a fine smooth polish.  Even the shot for both, at least what is up here on the castles for immediate use, has been cleaned and polished. The turning turrets they are mounted to are similarly well-oiled and maintained. Looking over the cannon, the weapon itself is spotless and as polished and good looking as the other weapons.  The only problem that Rupert spots is that the smokepowder packets seem quite small for what he is used to packing.  Not small enough to be ineffective, but certainly smaller than an reputable Giff would use.
(01-08-2021, 05:01 AM)Melville Wrote: "Thank you Chick, he will have my thanks when I see him.  How long is each rotation? So that I know when to relieve you. And is there anything I can bring you during your rotation, or when I come relieve you?" Do you happen to know our first destination, so I can get started plotting our course?"

Chick's antennae flicked twice. "Oh," she says with obvious surprise, "I would have through Ashheart would have told you.  Each 'jammer session is 6 hours, and then another 6 hours assisting whoever replaces you.  I would think that would mainly be providing food and drink as needed or perhaps a momentary step-in to allow for personal needs, like running to the head.  Based on the rotation, that would mean I am providing support for you, you support Anders, Anders supports Bazz, and Bazz is my support.  Ashheart will play a tri-note followed by a duo-note to indicate shift change.  Thank you for offering to get me something, but I'm good for the moment"

She brushes a hand over one antenna in what Melville would guess is a nervous gesture. "To my understanding we are headed for the shell, so I would think that would be the first course to plot. If you'll excuse me, I need to go ahead and start the warm-up."

She settles herself on the bench and lays a hand on the helm. Everyone on board feels a soft thrumming from the ship itself as the helm comes alive and begins to power up.
(01-08-2021, 02:18 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 03:46 AM)Bazzalan Horngrin Wrote: [OoC: Does a Forum search...  ]

"They are the big prize for this trip." he says, between sips of tea. "As you probably know, Elder artifacts and relics are worth tons of cash to the right collectors.  I have contacts with a couple of them, and I've put together a web of rumors, leads, partial maps and other stuff that I think is going to take us to one of the largest collections of Junta relics ever."  As he speaks he finishes off the tea and points to the scroll he was reading for emphasis.  "Problem is that most of the route is going to be through completely unknown territory, or areas so little explored that they may as well be unknown.  I even paid for a Divination while we were in port on if now was the time to act on it.  The result was wishy-washy, but more favorable than it has been in the past."  

He picks up the scroll and holds it up in front of Bazz, pointing to an odd three star design at both the top and bottom of the scroll. Illegible, but thick and oddly sinister, script fills the rest of the scroll.  Just looking at the papyrus, Bazz can tell that this scroll is very old, probably a couple hundred years at least.  "This symbol is a key part of the Elder's religion and society.  Something called the Eternal Lotus, best as the sages can tell me.  I would appreciate if you could spend some of your downtime going back over all the stories and whatever that you know, to see if you have heard anything before that may hold some kind of clue."

"I can certain try," Bazz replies.  "I spent much of my youth, some might say trapped, with an old sage who helped me out of a predicament and as payment he required that I stay with him, locked away in his library full of books.  [ Heroic Gift: Learned from a Supernatural Tutor (Gained Skilled Feat)]  Turns out he was some kind of supernatural tutor.  When he finally let me leave, I stepped out into the world and ended up here instead of my own world of Theros.  Thinking it was an obvious mistake, I turned around to go back inside but the old Sage and his entire grand library had faded away.  I miss the old sage but I think he sent me here because he felt I had more learning to do.  Maybe this is what he meant for me to do.  Find out about these Forerunners and their artifacts.  So I will do my best, but without a library, a scholar to speak with or even one of my contacts [Feature: ear to the ground] to speak with out here, it will be difficult."
(01-08-2021, 02:33 PM)GM Anthraxus Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 04:53 AM)Rupert Gladestone Wrote: [OoC: if he can Rupert will take 10 on each check, with would give him a fifteen for each check]

[OOC: No taking 10, although the DC of this check is pretty low.]

Looking over all of the weapons, Rupert can tell that Cash has spent a fair amount of idle time focused on the condition of these weapons.  The strings and cords are all freshly waxed, and the spars of both the catapult and jettison have been sanded to a fine smooth polish.  Even the shot for both, at least what is up here on the castles for immediate use, has been cleaned and polished. The turning turrets they are mounted to are similarly well-oiled and maintained. Looking over the cannon, the weapon itself is spotless and as polished and good looking as the other weapons.  The only problem that Rupert spots is that the smokepowder packets seem quite small for what he is used to packing.  Not small enough to be ineffective, but certainly smaller than an reputable Giff would use.
Once done to his satisfaction Rupert reports back to Cash, "SIR! WEAPONS INSPECTION COMPLETED! ALL APPEARS IN ORDER AND TIP TOP SHAPE SIR! BUT I DO HAVE ONE MINOR CONCERN SIR! THE SMOKEPOWDER PACKETES SIR! WHILE THEY ARE PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL, THEY ARE SMALL COMPARED TO THE PACKETS I AM ACCUSTOMED TO USING ON SIMULARILY SIZED CANNON! SIR!"
(01-08-2021, 03:08 PM)Bazzalan Horngrin Wrote: "I can certain try," Bazz replies.  "I spent much of my youth, some might say trapped, with an old sage who helped me out of a predicament and as payment he required that I stay with him, locked away in his library full of books.  [ Heroic Gift: Learned from a Supernatural Tutor (Gained Skilled Feat)]  Turns out he was some kind of supernatural tutor.  When he finally let me leave, I stepped out into the world and ended up here instead of my own world of Theros.  Thinking it was an obvious mistake, I turned around to go back inside but the old Sage and his entire grand library had faded away.  I miss the old sage but I think he sent me here because he felt I had more learning to do.  Maybe this is what he meant for me to do.  Find out about these Forerunners and their artifacts.  So I will do my best, but without a library, a scholar to speak with or even one of my contacts [Feature: ear to the ground] to speak with out here, it will be difficult."

Threadvine nods in understanding.  "I've got some resources here you can use to see if it reminds you of anything, but I've gone through them all pretty heavily so I will be surprised if you turn over new dirt there.  I realize I'm not making an easy request, but see what you can do.  Thanks for the tea, by the way, although I tend to prefer coffee in the morning." He says, pointing at another empty cup sitting on the desk.  

He spared a glance at an object hung on the wall behind his desk, over his hammock.  The object was a circular wooden disk with a single center mounted arm, numerous hashmarks in a circle that the arm appeared to slowly move around to point too.  A plain gold disk sat at the top of the circle and a plain disk of silver sits at the bottom.  The arm was just short of the midpoint mark between the two disks on the left side of the circle.  "It's nearly time to launch, but if you have any sources within a ten minute run you could lay your hands on, I will make sure we don't leave without you," he says, "Otherwise, check on your shift with the other spelljammers and we'll do the best with what we have while under way."

[OOC: you can give me a CHR check with advantage due to your feature to see if you know of any contacts that might have relevant sources/books that you might be able to borrow that are close enough to run and grab before the ship launches.]
(01-08-2021, 04:37 PM)Rupert Gladestone Wrote: Once done to his satisfaction Rupert reports back to Cash, "SIR! WEAPONS INSPECTION COMPLETED! ALL APPEARS IN ORDER AND TIP TOP SHAPE SIR! BUT I DO HAVE ONE MINOR CONCERN SIR! THE SMOKEPOWDER PACKETES SIR! WHILE THEY ARE PERFECTLY FUNCTIONAL, THEY ARE SMALL COMPARED TO THE PACKETS I AM ACCUSTOMED TO USING ON SIMULARILY SIZED CANNON! SIR!"

[OOC: The review, as Rupert seems a very thorough person and wanting to make a good showing, will take until just before the ship launches.  Just stating that here to put this conversation in context with what is going on with Bazz and Melville.]

"Stellar", Cash says, "Good job.  The packets should be standard loads, although we want to make sure we can stretch it should we need to make it last.  It is the thing we are least likely to be able to replace if we don't have a decent port.  So I would rather they be packed a little small and have enough, than to repack for a slightly bigger boom and run out quickly.  Thank you for the report.  Once we get clear, maybe this evening sometime, we'll do a single firing test on all three just to make sure all is operational.  We are about ready to sail, so feel free to find a good place to watch the launch, or you can go talk to Bill Bryce to see if there is anything you can do to help with setting the rigging and the like. Slick is our other dedicated weapons crewer, but she has already done her inspection and is up in the crow's nest last I saw."

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon