RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

~Character Construction/ Creation~
(04-22-2021, 02:17 PM)GM Marvel Wrote: 1)  This is part of what I meant about the Ultimate Powers Book not giving much information.  It doesn't even say how long it takes for the power to work.  The way I read it, it sounds like you're still doing a regular operation, minus the need to make sure every blood vessel is cauterized and the need to keep the person breathing, etc. which is means you might be able to perform the operation in 50% to 10% of the time.   But someone else might read it and believe the power is instantaneous which would be scary. But I can sort of see how that might being possible.  The power states that the end result doesn't have to be pretty. Imagine just touching someone and you instantly ripping their head! YIKES!  The crazy part is they would still be alive! Now that I think about it, when you grapple and win, you choose what part of the body you grapple.  Obviously the amount of time it takes would also depend upon how willing the subject was to have you use your power. They should be able to attempt to escape the hold before you start using the power the next round.  The power also doesn't mention if there is even any pain involved.  I'd assume that would be up to you to decide if you wanted to disconnect the nerves.  

2) Yes, can still do transplants.  We can assume that if you wanted to transplant an arm, you just pick up the arm and press the limb against the body. Both hands would just touch the incision sight with both your hands.

3)  I like powers that are thematic and so that sounds good.

4)  It doesn't really matter to me.  As a DM, I am kind of wondering how much use you're going to get with the powers.  In my 35 years of playing Marvel I don't think anyone has ever needed a transplant.  Of course, now that you have this character it brings up more opportunity to introduce those types of plot points.  The same goes for Sleep Induced and Plague Carrier.  For the former, it targets people indiscriminately.  If you were to use sleep induced in downtown Manhattan you'd could be putting 1000's of people asleep.  Just with people falling asleep at the wheel and running over people, the possible death toll could be enormous.  The latter will be difficult because diseases need time to work their magic (Onset is 1 - 10 turns) and according to the power, the infected person can even die.  So you'll likely be using this power to cure rather than harm.  Or if you did use it to harm, you'd have to cure it before anything permanent happens.

5) We actually have a former PC's character in the game named Canker who's been put into a medically induced coma.  He didn't have exactly your powers but he disappeared fairly quickly so that doesn't really matter.  He joined Emma Frost's Academy and soon after he accidently infected many of the teens with a strange virus that made them very aggressive.  This aggression caused the teens and a giant virus to attack the mansion.  The non-affected teens managed to defeat them and figured out that the giant virus was actually Canker who had somehow (not even he knew) transformed into the virus and then instinctively returned to the mansion where he felt safest.  He then started to instinctively reach out to the teens he was closest with and accidently infected them.  Some of the teens at the school, like Saleem, still have lingering effects of the virus.  

My point to this story is if you wanted, you could take over his storyline with your character.  You could wake up from the coma and start playing without the need to be introduced.  If you'd rather not, that's fine.

1) I would think that in determining the specific use case of the power would allow for a case-by-case determination as to the main goal.  It would probably be useful to set a base line for common actions (setting sutures/stitches; removing status effects like blindness, paralysis, etc.; set a bone; limb transplant; head transplant; organ transplant; joint rejuvination; flesh bonding; it really depends on how specific you tend to be with wounds) in regards to amount of time required, base difficulty.  Then in a given situation if a focus needs to be made to getting something done quicker or more precisely (less scarring or less chance of side effects) there would be a reasonable start to figure what that impact should be.

4) I did read some of the storylines already out there, and just knowing mutant storylines in general, I also like the idea of big indiscriminate powers.  They are good story drivers, and the quest for control is a nice character motivator.  I get what you are saying about the rarity of needing a transplant, but as you implied once you have a tool you look for reasons to use it.  Also, as I mentioned in the paragraph above, grafting lets you basically do psychic surgery replicating normal medical procedures, there are many common healing actions that could fall under the purview of this power that increase its general usefulness.  I've got enough time sunk into this that if you think this could be workable into the story, I would like to stick with it.  I don't mind to change stuff if it makes working me in easier for you.

5)  That storyline sounds very much in line with something I could see happening with Niall.  I don't have a problem stepping into that position/storyline.  Is that forum thread still accessible somewhere?
Quote this message in a reply

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Messages In This Thread
~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by GM Marvel - 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Aurum - 07-25-2015, 09:10 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Blink - 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Aurum - 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Aurum - 05-05-2016, 11:50 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Niall Glacian - 04-22-2021, 03:10 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Brunt - 08-16-2021, 02:40 AM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Brunt - 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Brunt - 08-18-2021, 07:44 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Brunt - 08-18-2021, 08:42 PM
RE: ~Character Construction/ Creation~ - by Brunt - 08-19-2021, 01:40 AM