RPG Addicts | We Know You're Hooked

Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account   Login to account

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average

[OOC] Return to the Rusty Rat
You don't need an account, just the link:
https://app.roll20.net/join/942363/0jDKGQ
Quote this message in a reply
(09-12-2017, 09:32 AM)DM Surranó Wrote: You don't need an account, just the link:
https://app.roll20.net/join/942363/0jDKGQ

Yes, but you must register to the site:

Well met!

You've accepted an invitation to join a Roll20 Game, but it looks like you're not currently logged in to a Roll20 account. Just fill out the quick form below and we'll create your free account and get you in the game!
I am registered. It still doesn't do anything besides let me look at the map.
You still can't nudge your token around??? strange... checking.
Helm Swap --
It doesn't matter now but for future reference, what kind of action should removing the helm from Boo and donning it should be?
I think removing an item of clothing is similar to drawing a stored item, i.e. move action, and donning it should be the same. I'm more puzzled whether "activating" should be a std action as usual (move+std still feasible in same round) but I don't really find it realistic (well, as much as magic is realistic which is... well.)
I propose that donning is a move action (i.e. removing and donning can be two move actions in consecutive rounds, each accompanied by a std action of your choice) but it needs one round after donning for the spells to kick in. You can speed this up by "willing" to kick in as a std action.
So if your initiative is 20 and you are eavesdropping on an adversary talking at init 10 then
option A)
rd1 20 - don helmet (move), cast bark skin on self (std);
rd1 10 - bad dude tells something you have no idea
rd2 20 - helm kicks in
rd2 10 - bad dude tells underlings "Did you understand?"

option B)
rd1 20 - don helmet (move), will to activate (std). Helm kicks in.
rd1 10 - bad dude tells underlings "Remember the guy is called Hawkslayer and the answer to his riddle is 'iceberg.' Be very respectful of him or he will kick your butts instead of that jermlaine's."
rd2 20 - cast barkskin on self (std), gnaw on nails (move)
rd2 10 - bad dude tells underlings "Did you understand?"
RE Action:  I would probably agree with removing a helmet, and putting a helmet on, would be a move action.  If there is a need to conserve move actions, Toot could ask Boo (since he can somewhat understand) to remove the helmet, which would be Boo's move action.  Bears are known to be quite good with their paws.  Then Toot could put the helmet on, which would be Toot's move action.

DM Surranó Wrote:but it needs one round after donning for the spells to kick in. You can speed this up by "willing" to kick in as a std action.

Huh

Quote:RE Wondrous Items: Activation
"Usually use-activated or command word, but details vary from item to item."

Quote:Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic: Appearing as a normal helmet, a helm of comprehend languages and read magic grants its wearer the ability to understand the spoken words of any creature and to read text in any language and any magical writing. The wearer gains a +5 competence bonus on Decipher Script checks to understand messages written in incomplete, archaic, or exotic forms. Note that understanding a magical text does not necessarily imply spell use.

Nothing in the description indicates requiring an action or command word to activate...

Quote:Use-Activated:

This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears. Continually functioning items are practically always items that one wears. A few must simply be in the character’s possession (on his person). However, some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word, usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case.

Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.

Use activation doesn’t mean that if you use an item, you automatically know what it can do. You must know (or at least guess) what the item can do and then use the item in order to activate it, unless the benefit of the item comes automatically, such from drinking a potion or swinging a sword.

Size And Magic Items
Since the helm is worn and the item's description does not state that it requires a command word it should be considered that it is a continually functioning item that takes no extra time to activate.
I'm with Toot on this one. Maybe not so much with the bear removing a helm. If it's just resting on top, it shouldn't require any action, much like dropping a carried item. If it's strapped on (hehe) that's another story.
Quote is right but emphasis is on the wrong place.

"Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all"
This was the basis of my idea above since it is not stated otherwise in the helmet's description, but:

"If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action"
This second part is what I did not notice. I guess this means it is the "not an action at all" part and not the "standard action" part.

Result: activate simply by equipping it (move action).
I'm going to take a shorter vacation from saturday to saturday. IMHO I could be post as usually but who knows. If I don't react in this period then handle my PCs as DMPC.
(11-30-2017, 10:22 PM)Torin Wrote: I'm going to take a shorter vacation from saturday to saturday. IMHO I could be post as usually but who knows. If I don't react in this period then handle my PCs as DMPC.

Vacation? Again? You, you, you lucky .... dwarf Smile

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon